• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tune, resistors and tcc

I'm seriously about to throw in the towel on this... It costs me 30 bucks every time I have to go to AutoZone from here. Walmart is twice as far in either direction. And to add insult to injury I bought the first fluid on a credit card. I returned that today and bought the other fluid on a credit card... Here's the insult to it it'll take 5 to 7 days for that money to get back on the cards and I'm about to s*** out of cash.

Doesn't your AutoZone deliver? I know NAPA does as do O'Reilly's and Advanced here in Lincoln. Dex III and Mercon are the same fluid. If the bottle says Dex III/Mercon then you are OK. Now, Dex III is NOT cross compatible with Mercon IV and vice versa. You won't find straight Dex III in a bottle anymore, GM stopped licensing the name and let the patent expire about 20 years ago. They (GM) have come out with new formulations of Dexron since for the newer types of transmissions GM is making, all supposedly backwards compatible with earlier fluids, but as has been said on here before, Dex VI and older trannys that used Dex III aren't happy with each other long term.

You're over thinking yourself into a giant ball of frustration. As long as it meets ATSF and Mil-Spec standards (read the back of the bottle) for the fluid, it doesn't matter whose brand name it is. It will even say on the back of the bottle "Meets Manufacturer's specifications for Dexron III or Mercon fluid when called for" or something to that effect.

And yes, with a new (dry) torque converter and an empty transmission you will need at least 2 gallons of fluid. A big yes on pre-filling the torque converter with about 2-3 qts before sliding it onto the input shaft. You need to have fluid already in there for the fluid coupling between the engine and transmission to work and turn the transmission's internals (clutches, etc). Once the tranny's in and bolted up, fill it up to the 'Full Hot' mark. Then start the engine and let it run at idle for about 30 seconds in Park and shut it off. Pull the dipstick and check fluid level and bring it up to the Full Cold' mark. Start the engine and let it run for another 30 seconds at idle and shut off. Pull the dipstick and check again and add (if neccessary) to bring it up to the 'Full Cold' mark again. Repeat this until the fluid level is already at 'Full Cold' when you pull the dipstick. Then go out and drive it around gently for 10-15 minutes to bring the fluid up to operating temperature, then put it in Park at idle and pull the dipstick and add fluid (if necessary) to bring it up to the 'Full Hot' mark and you're good to go now.

That would be a good question for @THEFERMANATOR

look at the dipstick and see if there are any GM numbers on there. I can try crossing it while I'm at work
Dex/merc fluid unless you want to rebuild your trans in 6 months to a year. Dex vi fluid is not fully compatible with older seals. It is a thinner synthetic fluid that GM came out with to try and eek out a tad more mpg's, and being a synthetic base stock with no additives to reach the desired viscosity, it is classified as an extended drain interval(or filled for life as the OEM's call it now) fluid. Over time it has been known to dry out older seals leading to leaks. GM & Allison got into a legal dispute over this when Allison released there TSB advising Owners with transmissions built before a certain serial number to not use it.

@THEFERMANATOR just to be clear...I should go back and get the bottle that say Dex/Merc and forget about what numbes it has. It doesn't have to say Dex III/Merc or anything?
Dex3 and mercon are basically the same fluid. You won't find a bottle labeled dex 3 as the patent ran out on dex3 back in 06. Just make sure it doesn't say dex vi compatible on it.

@ Husker6.5 story of my life...just paranoid I'm going to screw this up somehow..lol I got lucky to be able to get the tranny for it, although we have no idea how good it is cause it came from a junk yard...but was marked "ok" so keeping fingers crossed. I got confused cause guess keep saying dex III so that's what I kept looking for..

New question...if I understand right...with torque converter in the tranny there's supposed to be 1inch of clearance if you put a straight edge from one bell housing bolt hole to the other and measure to the dog ears on the torque converter that the bolts go in. It doesn't seem like this one will go in that far no matter how much I spin it and turn it. ... I can get about somewhere between half and three quarters of an inch of space.

If the transmission is setting on its belly pan, it is more difficult to get the TC plugged in all the way. You might be able to take a measure off of the back of the engine, where the trans bolts up to, and see how far out the flex plate hangs. That might give You a good indication of if the TC is slid in far enough.

Back