• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tune, resistors and tcc

Ok ...so do the clips..blow it out with brake cleaner, then atf...get a mt1 converter (hopefully that's the one AutoZone got me) are there any tricks to changing the converter? Or does old one just slide out and new one slide in? Are there bolts or clips holding it or anything?

Just make sure you line up the tangs that drive the pump. DO NOT force it the pump is easily damaged.. it should literally slide in and not be touching the flex plate when the case is bolted up. You should have to slide it towards the flex plate to bolt them together.

The tube of the convertor, that shoves into the transmission, has two flat spots on it. Those flat spots aligns with the flat spots inside of the front pump.

Evidently I'm missing something..I thought the old converter would slide right off the new tranny.. is there a trick to getting it off?

Just be sure that the new convertor does not slip forwards when shuffling/jockeying the transmission into position to het it shoved into the hole.
If You get it up to the engine and the TC is against the flex plate and the bell housing is still away from the engine, then the TC has moved forwards. Do not go any farther until the problem is corrected.
I destroyed one front pump many years ago, that was one lesson I do not want to ever repeat.

Ok I know I already know the answer to this but gonna ask any way...the only tranny fluid I could find that said sex 3 on it is "Fram" brand automatic transmission fluid multi vehicle atf. It says meets dexron III/ mer on performance requirements.. some how I just know that isn't right... No auto parts store around here has a tranny fluid that actually says that it is actual dex III....so what do I do

Also. I bought this stuff called lube gard Kooler Kleen transmission cooler line flush. Was told it was awesome stuff for cleaning out after tranny failure to clean out the lines and cooler...and which line do I shoot it in to the front one or back one ?

Ok I know I already know the answer to this but gonna ask any way...the only tranny fluid I could find that said sex 3 on it is "Fram" brand automatic transmission fluid multi vehicle atf. It says meets dexron III/ mer on performance requirements.. some how I just know that isn't right... No auto parts store around here has a tranny fluid that actually says that it is actual dex III....so what do I do
Move to civilization, where there's more than one auto parts store/source for vehicle fluids?

Is there a Walmart around you they may have some dex3. Not sure on the fram oil

others may chime in on this but when installing a new dry converter I have always seen people pour in a few quarts of fluid into the converter before installing

btw with the converter dry and the tranny empty you’ll need more fluid that what’s required to just do a filter change

Dex III and Mercon are the same fluid. Mercon is NOT Type F, which was used in early Ford Cruisamatics with bronze clutches in them. Mercon was Ford's name for the same formulation as GM's Dextron III, but of course Ford couldn't use a GM name for their vehicle's transmission fluid!

I know the trans fluid game is very confusing with so many different dextrons and mercon fluids. I honestly couldn’t tell you if the dex/merc is ok and I’m actually a little afraid of the fram oils that have recently appeared on the shelves

there’s lots of fluid that can be used to top off and the manufacturers will put “compatible with “ on their label for that reason. I’ll let someone else here say if it’s good to use or not for a complete fill

Back