• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tune, resistors and tcc

Dex VI is a synthetic fluid too. if I'm not mistaken Dex III was gm spec but the newer versions of Dex are supposed to supersede the older ones. at least that is what I am told. there should be some spamping on the dipstick that will show the GM spec numbers for your trans

What I'm concerned with is on the old transmission when I did a fluid and filter change on it we put Dex Merc in it and that was the day that it started acting up and was never right again. So I just want to make sure I put the right stuff in this one.

Don't know if this will help but I found this TSB online for the fluid. I looked up the fluid spec on AAP for my 1995 and it shows the same Dex VI same amounts

Attachments

• 2010-07-22_114052_Dexron_VI.pdf
    83.9 KB · Views: 2
I know it’s already been said but the only converter from a gasser that matches the 6.5 is the big block gasser converter. They have the same stall speed. The transmissions would be the same if it’s coming from a 97 or 98.

On the trans cooler and lines — The problem with flushing behind a slipping converter or transmission is it sends the debris through them and you can’t get all of the debris flushed out no matter how many times you flush it. But I’m sure there are 10’s of thousands of vehicles running up the road right now by flushing and most of them probably last a while. But if you really wanted piece of mind the only way to get it would be replace the cooler and lines.

@ Jaryd Ok I got the number off the side of the converter. Anyone know how to tell if it's the one I need? It came out of a 97 Astro van with a 5.7 V8 in it.( They wrote it all on the tranny) . the number on the converter is k156k3. My friend still hasn't brought me the converter he said he has, and AutoZone has one at the store for me. (Ordered it just in case ). I really can't afford it but I will if I absolutely have to. Kinda stuck till I know what I'm doing...I doubt AutoZone or other store has the cooler and lines in stock and I'm running out of time unfortunately...guess I'll be taking my chances 😖

BTW that converter number is the one one of the converter that is in the truck not on the donor tranny...gonna go get that number right now.. it's k 198k3

The converter out of that 5.7L '97 Astro Van is NOT the right converter! The ONLY gasser converter that will work is the one behind the 7.4L (454) BBC! It is the exact same converter that is behind the 6.5 in '94-'99. You need the MT1 RPO code.

Ok dumb question...on the tranny lines, to get them off the tranny...do I have to pop out the clips and take them off that way or can I just unscrew them from the body of the tranny...they look like they can be unscrewed from tranny..but they also have the little metal clips holding the actual line...

Back