• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4L80E fluid?

Big T

Reaction score
Is Valvoline Maxlife synthetic ATF ok for use in the 4L80E? How many gallons will I need to do a full flush?

I just did a change in My truck. After getting the pan back on, it measured out to a total of six quarts.
I added in five then run it and tooped it up with the sixth.
I told the parts guy that I wanted Dex Mercon III fluid.

I screwed up. I hope You get this before adding fluid. There are 7 quart jugs left in the case. That means that I used only 5 quarts. Total

Is Valvoline Maxlife synthetic ATF ok for use in the 4L80E?

I used it when I did the Yank stall install. But I had the trans rebuilt several times before that so who knows what updated or better seals were in it. The stuff does "stink" over other ATF I have used. It's a strong smell in the drain pan or just stored in the garage.

Synthetic fluid isn't so much the issue as it was specifically dex vi synthetic fluid. The poa base stock used to make dex vi fluid was very dry, a much thinner viscosity, and hard on seals. There is nothing wrong with dex/merc type fluids. Allison fluids like tes-295, tes-468, & tes-668 are all also great synthetic fluids that are fully compatible with all seal types.

Synthetic fluid isn't so much the issue as it was specifically dex vi synthetic fluid. The poa base stock used to make dex vi fluid was very dry, a much thinner viscosity, and hard on seals. There is nothing wrong with dex/merc type fluids. Allison fluids like tes-295, tes-468, & tes-668 are all also great synthetic fluids that are fully compatible with all seal types.
And so that brings a question to My mind, well a couple.
Does the Allison fluids work great in the 4L80E and if so, which one would You use ?

And so that brings a question to My mind, well a couple.
Does the Allison fluids work great in the 4L80E and if so, which one would You use ?
The allison fluids work great and are designed to NOT damage older seals. The downside is they are now EXPENSIVE. Last I checked Transynd was running about $60 a gallon.

@THEFERMANATOR ,

What do you know about the TES 668 Transynd? It claims to be backwards compatible with the TES 295 Fluid. I run the TES 295 Transynd in my 2006 2500HD. I was unaware of the TES 668 until I started looking around on the net.

TES 668 Transynd is $44.00 a gallon (plus 21.60, whoops) at the following site:

Transynd Synthetic Transmission Fluid | DMAX Store

Ok here is a cheaper deal (free shipping) for those interested:

Allison Transynd TES 668 Full Synthetic Transmission Fluid 1GAL 27101-CTCS | eBay

@THEFERMANATOR ,

What do you know about the TES 668 Transynd? It claims to be backwards compatible with the TES 295 Fluid. I run the TES 295 Transynd in my 2006 2500HD. I was unaware of the TES 668 until I started looking around on the net.

TES 668 Transynd is $44.00 a gallon (plus 21.60, whoops) at the following site:

Transynd Synthetic Transmission Fluid | DMAX Store

Ok here is a cheaper deal (free shipping) for those interested:

Allison Transynd TES 668 Full Synthetic Transmission Fluid 1GAL 27101-CTCS | eBay
I believe it is just the latest allison spec as they are phasing out the tes-295 last I heard.

Back