• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P400 Progress

I may be paranoid, but I wouldn't cut/ grind it until you get the okey dokey from GEP.

I'm thinking that just a simple finish step that got missed, but just incase the starter mount area gets final grind at same time...

Then after you grind it, maybe they can ship you a freebie shirt/hat/ used hmmwv for the trouble ;)

@Will L. and I hope he has spun the engine over by hand to make sure nothing else was missed that goes "thunk" when turning over.

Machine operator wasn't checking everything after the machine finished the "part" apparently.

Me personally, I would hound whoever you bought it from, like the others stated IF something else is found later they WILL void the warranty for any reason they can..., same goes for the pan, they ain't suppose to touch... between the two items that would raise a red flag to me...

I know you want this fast but ya should think about the warranty/8K first...

I would almost bet this isn't the only motor that didn't get machined correctly and AMG knows about this ....

Or will know about it PDQ. Yeah the pan hitting may not be the pan's fault.

How far off does the touch point have to be for the tools to completely miss hitting the area? Worked on an assembly line machining compressor rotors up to 450 ton a long time ago. Many parts had to be re-worked or scrapped as they were out of spec. The closest thing I recall is when the keyway came up missing on the motor section of the shaft. The gears had stripped out of one of the CNC machines and didn't spin the cutting tool anymore. (Tool snapped off and was found in the coolant tank.) Half the rotors that night and next day had to be reworked because no one checked the keyway until the final assembly line jammed up. Another time 450 ton compressors came back locked up after running awhile due to a bad profile on a final grinding wheel. Talk about a bunch of warranty scrap and scrapping pallets of parts already finished. The blanks weighed 1000 LBS each.

I'm still waiting to hear back from AM General, hopefully tomorrow at some point. I've spun the engine over by hand and everything seems fine. The first time I spun it by hand, it still had the plastic dust covers in the injector holes and it compressed #8 and sent that plastic piece flying out of the block at about 400mph, along with a few of the other cylinders when it rolled over a few times. Funniest shit in the world.

The pan I half understand, maybe they only measured a 3/4 and not a 1 ton, maybe theres some old bushings, maybe its a bunch of things rolled into one. And as long as I watch it, it wouldnt be a bad fix. It's the block thats got me curious

Straight from AM-General

[email protected]

8:04 AM (2 minutes ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

That would normally be machined to provide clearance for the starter.

Careful grinding of material to allow mounting clearance can be done, paint the raw metal after grinding with a good high temp primer and paint suitable for the casting.

Doug Hamlin

There is NO difference between a 2500 or 3500 provided both are 8 lug wheels they both use the SAME 9.25" ifs axle. If something is hitting, then something is wrong, and it is up to you to find out what. How old are your motor mounts? Did the front diff get removed and not reinstalled correctly? Did the strut arm plates get put back in between the block and engine mount brackets? Are the engine mounts broken and setting on the housings? Have you tried putting the fan and shroud in to see if there alignment looks correct?

You could have gotten a pan that wasn't fabbed right, left out a plate, bolted the mounts to the wrong pads, who knows what. But running it without at least 3/8" clearance is begging for trouble, and taking out your new p400 with NO warranty.

Motor mounts are fairly fresh, maybe 1 year if that, front diff has never been out, bushings all were fine, motor mount spacer plates are installed. Engine mounts are all in place. I inspected them when motor was out. Haven't got to the fan shroud yet. Will inspect further when I get a chance. Sort of at a loss of what it could be at this point. It's not so much that the engine needs to go up, but that it needs to be towards the back more. Will be digging further

Small update on the warranty issue, from GEP:

[email protected]
cleardot.gif
7:43 AM (10 minutes ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

I just received a reply from GEP, since this casting is normally removed, there is no warranty ramification if it is removed to the normal level as in the attached photos.

They apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Doug

Back