• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P400 Progress

That's what welders are for lol I mean, its probably gonna have to happen at some point anyways. Custom pan and still gotta modify it lol

Well here is the picture of where the pan hits the diff. Not badly, but more than I'd like. And here is a picture of the casting that sticks out of the girdle. Kinda hard to tell in the pic but it sticks out almost over the starter bolt hole.KIMG0041.jpg KIMG0039.jpg

My thought is.....ok. I got to be missing something. Because why would you make a casting over where the starter bolts up. I then thought maybe a different starter is used, but then why make it bolt into the same place? I've got to be missing something. Grinding into a $8000 block, not knowing what is behind it, is not something I really want to do. I emailed AMG about it today, seeking advice, but never heard anything back. Maybe I will tomorrow. I mean, its hard to see in the picture, but IF the starter bolt would even go in, it would be sitting right against the casting sticking out. I'm at a loss. Praying it's solid and not hollow.

That's got to be something the factory missed grinding off. Casting metal flow channel or mount for factory tooling. Absolutely a warranty question or claim. Hopefully they get you answers and let you fix it.

The pan is not 1 off, but close to it. Thinking a fabricator at Moroso mismeasured by a tad.

The block... ummm...

I'm not sure Leroy has seen it yet. I called this afternoon again and had to leave another message with somebody else at AM-General. Little frustrating.

AM General or G.E.P. ? idk if GEP still has a separate customer service number. I know they used to, might be the problem.

Can you show me a picture of where yours is machined at? And when the motor was out, we checked all the bushing and mounts and everything seemed fine.

Looking at your pic it looks like yours isn't clearanced in front of that area like mine is either, I wonder if you will need to do anymore grinding for the starter to clear that front area...

And it looks like you have a good bit to wack off...

Ok cool!!! Thank you so much for helping get this sorted out. My best guess is a spacing on the machining from the factory. I owe you one!

Back