• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P400 Progress

And someone else on the hummer forum just received a motor and the lump on the block wasn't machined either...

Kinda glad I got mine before the factory changed around...

I cannot be more serious, but I'm really on the fence about sending the shit back, getting my money back, cutting my loses, selling the truck, and finding a new project. Maybe dabbling in the Ford IDI world. This is ridiculous. I just wrote them an email. You might have that dude tear his heads off and have them pressure checked SCTrailrider.

Man!!! I would have never thought they would have let it get that bad in the quality control department. I can kind of see the machining on the block in that one spot getting through Q.C. but to have the heads go through Q.C. and be leaking like that is unreal and unacceptable. I know it would take some time but might be worth getting them to send you some new heads Seeing how you paid them all that money for what's supposed to be a brand new drop in engine.

I know it sucks for you but it also sucks for the rest of us following you on this build.

This is very discouraging, I was about to order one as well. My main beef with the Ford IDI trucks is they ride like a buck board.

Last wedding I attended the truck I wanted to take didn't make it due to a shipping error on a clutch.

Sorry to have jinxed you but I did mention something else would be off from the oil pan not clearing to other machine work being off. Heads would be a different line so to speak so WTF?

Yeah, send the boat anchor back! :rage:

I cannot be more serious, but I'm really on the fence about sending the shit back, getting my money back, cutting my loses, selling the truck, and finding a new project. Maybe dabbling in the Ford IDI world. This is ridiculous. I just wrote them an email. You might have that dude tear his heads off and have them pressure checked SCTrailrider.

Yea, for a crate motor this is wrong, you are right to consider sending it back... we know every motor they sent out is like this and they also know by now... I hate to say this but it just gives more thought as to my previous statement... what else did they miss inside during the production process that hasn't been found yet ???

This is very discouraging, I was about to order one as well. My main beef with the Ford IDI trucks is they ride like a buck board.
The TTB will ride better, but usually need fully rebuilt. The D60 solid axle will ride like a tank in stock form. Do a RSK with SD springs and it'll be much better.
What about the OBS terminal body cancer they're notorious for?
Depends on what part of the country you get it from.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

If I have to disassemble the whole god damn motor, I will, and make them pay every cent of a labor rate for it. I'm trying to remain civil about it, but for what I've seen so far, completely unacceptable. It's like you can't even pay people to do a job anymore. Nobody wants to work. Like a bunch of minions at the AMG plant, walking into work singing "It's a Brand New Day" every morning while staring directly at the sun.

Your frustration echo's across the masses! I was seriously making plans to drop in a new motor, is a bulletproof 6.5 truly the stuff of legends?

I'm beginning to think a decent 6.5L is like big foot. Everybody talks about it but nobody has actually seen it.

Hey all, Im the guy with the other p400. I had started a thread on here but never got back around to updating.
Today i will be doing a Cylinder Leak Down test,

From what i was informed, GEP had less then 10 engines shipped with ours. So be warned to others, there are a few floating around.
Additional information received was in regards to GEP's "Inspection Process"
-Assemble engine
-manual inspection (rotate by hand, check tq, CHECK CASTINGS )
-cylinder leak down
-Run engine for 10 minutes
-If all is healthy crate and ship

This was explained to me when i consulted my sales person who i got my p400 from. I kinda chuckled and replied with "well they messed up on checking the castings, it wouldn't surprise me if they messed up the leak down test also."
-Needless to say i established contact to see what my supplier wanted me to do for the next step. If i have leakage as you do, I'm seriously considering sending mine back as well and just jumping over to something else.
for the $8k i could have had a bullet proof cummins and my trans swap near completed. instead I'm at $8k and inspecting a crate engine with improper castings. I feel your pain,

Contact me when you find out anything and ill try to extend the same courtesy if you wouldn't mind.

Link to my HML Thread - Must be a member to see, but they are all pretty relaxed people, if you can share some insightful 6.5 knowledge I'm sure they'd be accepting of good conversation.
http://www.hummernetworkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=245799

Hope the bullsh1t train stops here for 6.5s......

AMG is on it.
I just spoke with quality control and they said they will be sending you a set of new heads. They want the old set back for inspection. They apparently go though a lot of effort to insure quality and I am waiting on an email with their procedures.

Im thinking to myself OK maybe one head on the same engine would have a problem but for both on same engine would be unheard of UNLESS! one of two things has happened, 1. The machine process and testing they use let a bunch of heads get past. Or 2. (and don't take this the wrong way Im just trying to think of possibilities) the heads were modified somehow that caused a problem?
AMG has an allowable leakage too. Im waiting on their info at this time, will know more tomorrow.

On a side note: they let ten P400s out of the plant with that extra casting in the bed plate/girdle by the starter. 5 of them went to my customers!! WTF! that figures. I chalk that up to a learning curve. AMG said the machine shop that should have machined that off did not have it on their drawings so did not touch it. Of course this was all learned after the fact and the new bed plates were released.
Long story short unless the heads turn out to be a problem on more than this engine then were dealing with some minor issues in the scheme of thing and AMG is standing up behind their product. If they weren't Id be the first one to bring it to light. I have stopped carrying other product before after I loose that warm and fuzzy feeling but as it stands now Im far from that here.

Well we will see how the warranty is backed. @Burning oil have you asked for the dimensions for the oil pan in case that recently changed by design or mistake?

I call bullstinkies on the test run engine. How could they test run it if they don't mount a starter to it to start it?

They need to step up and address the customer service situation strongly imo. They are burning customers, and really burning you on this Leroy. Really sucks because it is a great engine! If the p400 had cam out after the 6.2 before GM 6.5- I don't think the duramax would have been out so soon. I think they would be doing monster vvt turbos and better Ip to drive some serious power with great mpg.

There is not that huge of a market for p400 outside the hmmwv contracts, and error like this can scare away people that aren't as experienced with this platform.

After talking with my engine builder a bit, we are going to let the heads fly for a while. He said sometimes a miniscule amount of leakby is ok on brand new heads and they will self-seat themselves out after running for a bit. So as for right now, due to time constraints, heads are going back on and am going to run it for a bit. After a little bit, I am going to have it checked again. I have thought about it and I actually have faith these heads are going to be ok after a while. Truck should be back running by end of the week. Let's talk some positive things though. I am getting married Saturday and it's going to be awesome!!! Everybody is coming together and things are doing well. Kris Stratton (I'm sure some of you know him) is coming out for my wedding and is one of my groomsmen. We are going to wreck this town with our 6.5L's haha He is also going to help me time my pump and we are going to tinker on it I'm sure. I will keep you all updated. I'm really excited for the fueling capabilities of this pump! It's going to fuel hard.

Back