• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P400 Progress

After talking with my engine builder a bit, we are going to let the heads fly for a while. He said sometimes a miniscule amount of leakby is ok on brand new heads and they will self-seat themselves out after running for a bit. So as for right now, due to time constraints, heads are going back on and am going to run it for a bit. After a little bit, I am going to have it checked again. I have thought about it and I actually have faith these heads are going to be ok after a while. Truck should be back running by end of the week. Let's talk some positive things though. I am getting married Saturday and it's going to be awesome!!! Everybody is coming together and things are doing well. Kris Stratton (I'm sure some of you know him) is coming out for my wedding and is one of my groomsmen. We are going to wreck this town with our 6.5L's haha He is also going to help me time my pump and we are going to tinker on it I'm sure. I will keep you all updated. I'm really excited for the fueling capabilities of this pump! It's going to fuel hard.

That's what my mechanic said as well.

So, funny story. Just cruising through facebook and saw another P400 owner having issues with the Moroso Oil Pan hitting the front diff.....am watching closely

And sometimes you just don't pay them enough to give a shit about doing the job right anymore. It could very well be this batch of motors were the ones they trained the new guy on the line on, they were Friday afternoon/Monday morning motors, or the QA person's mind was elsewhere when checking them - ie: an upcoming wedding, graduation, hurricane, sickness in the family, etc.

I would give AMG the benefit of the doubt on this matter, especially now that one of their distributors (Leroy) is involved, to make things right and do right by those of you who have the "problem P400's". I have also seen "new out of the box" and "fresh from the machine shop" heads have very minor losses on leakdown tests, but once they've been run for a bit and "broken in" seal perfectly once the valve faces and seats settle in. Seen it in both single and triple angle seat cuts. Remember, when the seat and head have just 1° difference, their contact is just a thousandth or two wide. So a 0.0001 discrepancy in roundness can cause an imperfect seal of the valve to seat until the surfaces have broken in and fully mated.

Depends on what part of the country you get it from.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Anywhere around here (northern US) where it snows and they de-ice the roads OBS Fords have terminal rocker/cab corner/fender cancer.

Best advice for happiness being married: "You can be right or you can be happy!"

Heads are already off, gaskets ruined, TTY bolts ruined (ARP studs in now I bet), and AMG is sending you another set of new heads. Why are you bolting the questionable ones back on exactly? :wtf:

I have a few thousand miles on a rebuilt "paperweight" head that the valves apparently didn't seal well and testing when the engine was torn down later: they don't pass leakdown. I'd hate to read about the engine coming back out on your dime later with burned valves.

@bobbiemartin had his optimizer stop running, loss of compression, due to bad valves and recession of the valves possibly being wrong was discussed.
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/trouble-with-the-optimizer-6-5.44653/

I took the ARP's from my Optimizer for the P400. I am going to re-test them a while down the road. For right now, AMG knows about it, so if anything happens down the road, I think it will be ok.

So, latest info. AMG is re-certifying all their heads now. There is an allowable leakage. They are willing to send another set of heads after certification if you like. They would then test/inspect your heads to see whats up. Im not sure if they would want your heads now though? If you run them it will skew the results.

Also just got off phone with Moroso, They are willing to make corrections or if you are able to mod pan yourself they are good with that also. Let me know.

It sounds like both companies are trying to make it right. We can't ask much more than that when a mistake is caught by the consumer and the company tries to correct it.

That's one reason I like buying from you Leroy @Burning oil. If there is a problem with a product that you sell, you always try and make it right. I've never had a problem with anything I have bought from you though.

Well, truck was finished up Thursday. Runs dang well. First order of business was to bring it home, which was a nice 90 minute drive of mixed speeds. Right now it is set for stock fueling maximum, but with the internal tweeks, it is a whole other animal. The torque is up greatly at low rpm, EGT's are mild, and drive-ability is great. I'm really impressed with the pump.

Yes. Sorry for the late reply. I've spent the last few weeks driving and tweeking and recording, slowly dialing in the pump. And she RIPS! It is stupid powerful. Right now I'm having trouble keeping the tires from breaking out in 3rd. Still maintains amazing driving characteristics. I purged my WMI system today and cleaned nozzles and re-sealed. I've sat down and done the math, and with the Pump pushing 100+cc's, and my WMI 100% active, I'm close to the effective fuel charge equivalent of a 150cc pump. So I'm thinking I can be in the realm of 300rwhp+. Once I finish getting it dialed in, I will get some videos for everybody.

Back