• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New Holland L35 skid steer loader revival

I found a reman Remy 63amp 10si alternator on Rockauto for $40. I may just go that route and be done with it. Anybody know of a cheaper option?

If the 10si is a 3 wire, You might need to install a diode in the charge signal wire so that when You turn off the key, it does not keep powering the electrical system and then the engine will shut down.

If the 10si is a 3 wire, You might need to install a diode in the charge signal wire so that when You turn off the key, it does not keep powering the electrical system and then the engine will shut down.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me.

I just realized I’m being dumb on this. I know I have a couple old GM alternators lying around. I should just go get them tested to see if they’re good and use 1 of them. Then if the alternator ever does go bad I know I can easily get a replacement for it rather than trying to source the replacement for the New Holland unit. The other benefit is it will have more output than the stock 35 amp unit so I can power more lights and fans and stuff. I’ll still have the factory alternator tested so if it checks out good I can sell it.

Testing, testing......one, two, three. I had three alternators tested today. First I had the L35 alternator tested at a local auto electrical shop during my lunch hour. It tested good and made 33 amps. After work, I grabbed the first 2 GM alternators I could find and went to Autozone. There, you have to go with an application so they can enter that into the testing machine:rolleyes: So I told them a 78 Chevy truck with a 63 amp alternator. Both of the alternators checked out “good”, but that tester doesn’t give an actual output. Ah well, good enough for the skid steer. So that’s the direction I’m going. I looked at the adapted alternator bracket that came with the machine and it’s going to need some work to make it fit right, so I think I’ll just start from scratch.....but not tonight - I have some kind of stomach thing going on. I guess I’ll flip through the Surplus Center catalog instead and see what nifty things I can run with all the extra power I’ll have :bookworm:.....71F44354-DAFC-4940-9FBE-BA1CF08F38CB.jpeg2071CD95-0A1C-46E3-9FA7-1EBE909F7C91.jpeg

Started on the alternator bracket tonight. It’s a crude little affair made out of angle iron, but it should do the job. This is the easy part - the adjuster piece will be trickier because there aren’t any good mounting pounts above the alternator. There are a couple small bosses on the block behind the alt, but I’m not in love with that idea. I think I’m going to make a support that comes up vertically off of this brace behind the alt and then have an adjuster coming off of that. Oh yeah, before one of you eagle eyes points it out - yes there are gaps on wither side of the alternator boss......I purposely left it loose so I could dial in the pulley alignment using washers.F363BCBC-AF8E-43EB-9A0C-EED788060A55.jpegA801D401-E688-4D94-99B3-D87F50FD0E4A.jpeg C78FA8A6-9514-4E33-9376-844C00DEAA1D.jpeg

Well, it’s not the sexiest thing I’ve ever fabbed, but it works, it’s strong and I made it out of materials I had lying around. This skid steer is far from sexy anyway, so it will fit right in! Tomorrow I’ll clean it up and throw some paint on it. FE8B985E-0216-482B-9BBB-0092BE2B37D7.jpeg726BB5EE-71EA-45D5-B134-04CC15865B64.jpeg9D793AD9-0102-4E50-AB3E-0E047C776F97.jpegB64CF5C2-F446-4039-9390-1A8AF07E2E57.jpeg76F691BF-DADF-4FAC-A4AE-A6ABE3B7CB02.jpegC1F62C61-6D97-4BB7-8A24-C623823E2F3B.jpegCEC112E9-4713-492E-8BF7-44383620AF21.jpeg

I see the ground clamp on the table. Did you weld it up with the can of acetone sitting right beside it.

Eagle Eyes
Son of a B! I knew I was going to forget to take care of that. I really need to pick up after myself better. Will do tomorrow. Thanks for pointing that out, Jaryd.

Ah, you have to live on the edge.:D

I remember in college trying to put the fire out on a leg on my coveralls with one hand while still trying to do a weld test.:woot::)

Ah, you have to live on the edge.:D

I remember in college trying to put the fire out on a leg on my coveralls with one hand while still trying to do a weld test.:woot::)
I've been on fire before.....No Big Deal. I've never been exploded before though, I think I'll stay away from that one.

Dang. This is what $196 of hoses looks like......and that’s after my discount through work.
9835865B-AB6D-44D7-8845-26C425BEB206.jpeg

Yeah... if I had to rehose a couple of machines like a loader or backhoe, I would buy a used hose crimping machine and fittings & a roll of hose at a time. Sometimes a hose and fitting vendor will lease a crimper for near nothing if you buy everything from them. Just a simple chopsaw cuts the hose.

The trick to cheapest method is tear down machine while video recording removal for reinstalling later. Mark all hoses as they come out. Then get all the hoses organized by diameter and length. Duplicate the tags for new hoses- never remove the old labels off hoses incase the timing or a fitting seems wrong later. Once all hoses are made you can end the lease of equipment and have excess fittings removed so you don’t pay for anything you didn’t use. It is the closest to getting bulk pricing you will pay for materials, and of course your labor is free. The supplier will usually train how make hoses- a really easy task actually.

Back