• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New Holland L35 skid steer loader revival

Hose prices are all over the place up here. I had to replace a hose on my 416 awhile back, if Napa would have had the fittings it would have been $70 ended up costing me $250 at a place I won't go back to again if I can help it.

The other night I started the search for a replacement oil cooler. New Holland gets over $500 for a new one so I wasn’t really interested in going that route. I ended up on ebay and I actually got lucky and found a used one in good shape for half the cost of new!! Mich nicer than what I had, wouldn’t you say??? Anyone have a good idea for flushing it before I install it?F1659805-0B3A-425F-A444-A2AA98829556.jpeg

Could you fill it with brake klean and let it soak. Then blow it out with air?
Yeah, I was thinking something like that. I remember a can of stuff you can buy to clean out tranny coolers, but if I remember right it has to be a tight seal on the fitting and I’m not sure it would work as well with the big fittings on this thing - even with adapters.

I've always heard not to clean engine oil coolers. Just replace with new. I would think it could be cleaned but you run the risk of something dislodging. Anyway to plumb it so it goes back to the pan instead of thru the motor?

I've always heard not to clean engine oil coolers. Just replace with new. I would think it could be cleaned but you run the risk of something dislodging. Anyway to plumb it so it goes back to the pan instead of thru the motor?
This is the hydraulic oil cooler. I just want to make sure I’m not introducing any new contaminants in case it came off a machine with a roached hydraulic system. I emptied a can of brake cleaner into it and swished that around and dumped it. Now I have it full of xylene (that’s the only solvent I had lying around in quantity) to soak.

Today’s progress was mostly installing hoses. Some of them were not fun to route due to how stiff that 3/4” hose is.

0F6EB7E0-FF8E-4306-8303-342571C34707.jpeg 140FDEA2-553C-4E16-92B8-C8699247C3F7.jpeg

I dug out some more hoses and lines that I’m going to replace. I’ve come this far so no reason to skimp on the last couple of them.

70AFBCFE-199A-4065-ACC9-C0DC1F057035.jpeg

I also wire wheeled the hydraulic cooler brackets and slathered them in yellow.

3E02E736-4761-4A14-BD24-42D3F5F169A9.jpeg

The dashboard went in, too, but after it was in I realized that there isn’t a whole lot of room behind it to work, so I’m going to have to remove it again to do the wiring. No biggie - it’s just 4 screws.

3B5D8CFD-66C4-41FA-B8C1-AA4DE52028FE.jpeg

Oh, and regarding the cooler flush. After sitting for an hour, I dumped the xylene out. Interestigly it was cloudy white. I then poured the acetone that I had in there and swished it around good after sitting in there. It came out clear. It looks nice and shiny inside so I think it’s fine now.

The hose fittings are what adds up quick, at least now you won't have to worry as long as the rest of it lasts.

The hose fittings are what adds up quick, at least now you won't have to worry as long as the rest of it lasts.
Yeah, that’s my worry: I’ll get it working and then something expensive like a motor or pump takes a crap.

Oil cooler is installed. It took a little while longer than expected for a couple reasons.

First reason was I found I had just over 1/8” of clearance between the end of the engine crankshaft and the cooler fins, which seemed a little too tight for my liking. This particular engine was originally in a military gen set, so it had provisions for a hand crank which is why the crank was longer. So I took a cut off wheel to the stub and now I have about 1/2” of clearance.

ADF9C8CC-F080-4333-BE25-25D94FE96747.jpeg 94C83AF3-BD43-49E6-943A-020B82E640E7.jpeg 5BE3DB31-A5BB-4F61-BD94-AFB80A71DACC.jpeg

Then I installed and removed the cooler a couple of times trying to figure out the correct cooler and hose orientation. I removed the cooler when I was first working on the machine 7 years ago so I had no recollection on how it was supposed to go. But now it’s all together and fits right.

2718BCED-C917-40A1-BB4D-718D22C3BC10.jpeg

Tomorrow I’ll drop off those other lines I need to get made and then start removing the boom hoses so I can get those remade. Those should be fun to snake in and out of there, not.

My snaking in tricks involved using an electricians fishtape to pull in string, then tie the string to the hose and guide it in.

Back