• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New Holland L35 skid steer loader revival

n8in8or

I never met a project I didn’t like
Reaction score
This is a project I purchased and started working on in 2011. We had purchased a house with some land and a pole barn and I figured a skid steer would be a handy tool to have around. I wanted one that had a capacity of 2000 pounds and wasn't too expensive (like I mean cheap). I shopped and shopped and finally found a cheap one that wasn't too far away. The hydraulics all worked but it was pretty rusty. Also the guy wanted to keep the engine out of it because it ran well and he had a use for it. That actually was fine with me because it was not the original engine and was smaller than what was supposed to be in it. So we struck a deal for $1400 and I brought it home. I started tearing it down to begin repairs and scraped a ton of gunk off of it. I also started accumulating parts for it - I grabbed a Wisconsin VG4D V4 engine (which is the correct engine for the machine) that was completely disassembled for dirt cheap. Then I got a VG4D that was from a military generator for a couple hundred bucks, but the problem was that it was setup for 24 volts. I also found an old power unit with a VG4D for cheap - it ended up being seized up, but it had a good starter on it which was worth the price of the unit alone. So now I had enough pieces-parts to make 1 good engine for the unit. Not long after that other things got in the way and it was pushed into the back of the barn.

Fast forward to this winter.....I need to do a new retaining wall next to our driveway and the skid steer would obviously be super handy for that job. I also finished up some remodeling in the barn so I finally had the space to take the project on again. So I dug it out of its hole and I am now resuming progress on this project. So far I've pressure washed it and started reviewing what the project needs again. It needs some work....oh yeah, it needs work. There isn't a visible serial number anywhere (I think the tag rusted off), but based on features it has or doesn't have I was able to narrow the serial number down to somewhere between 229,000 and 465,000. They made these between 1971 and 1980, but I have no idea where that number would fall in, but needless to say it must be in the 1970s sometime.....and it looks every bit its age.

So when I looked at the unit, the guy showed me all of the hydraulics worked since it had a running engine in it at that time.....in fact, it worked so well that it blew a hydraulic hose while tilting the bucket! So yeah, it needs one hose...and now that I'm looking at it much closer and degreased I'm seeing it needs a lot more hoses and lines. So that will be a lot of the initial work that will need to be done to get it running again, but there are other general fixes and rust repairs needing to be done, so as I do those I will document them here. It could get ugly, but hey, what's the fun in a project going smoothly?? :D

I will start posting some pics from various phases and update this as I get things done to the unit. Hopefully in not too long it will be running and working in just a couple months.

Should be a handy machine. I don't know a bunch about them, but about to learn, like you lol. I too have a skid steer project on my ever growing to-do list. My oldie is a Bobcat 520 I bought for 500 with a blown (broken rod still ran) K582 Kohler flat twin. It does not have the scissor type lift like your NH which is real nice on a smaller machine. It can dump over taller sides on a bin or dump truck.

Fully expect it to nickel dime you on seals and hoses. But it beats the hell out of a shovel and wheel borrow!

Should be a handy machine. I don't know a bunch about them, but about to learn, like you lol. I too have a skid steer project on my ever growing to-do list. My oldie is a Bobcat 520 I bought for 500 with a blown (broken rod still ran) K582 Kohler flat twin. It does not have the scissor type lift like your NH which is real nice on a smaller machine. It can dump over taller sides on a bin or dump truck.

Fully expect it to nickel dime you on seals and hoses. But it beats the hell out of a shovel and wheel borrow!
Oh yeah, I'm already adding it up in my head and I'm starting to wonder what I've gotten myself into, ha! My instinct is to restore everything on it but I'm trying to keep myself grounded and only fix what it needs to work for me. I don't need the added time or cost of a restoration.

For sure do not fully restore until you get it digging and see what you got to work with.

I've even skipped the Kohler rebuild ($$$) in favor of a Predator V twin from HF- a $650 Honda GX690 copy basically. It's a shoe-in that could potentially be permanent.

Gotta engineer a new way to mount it to the pump as it's originally direct spline drive.

For sure do not fully restore until you get it digging and see what you got to work with.

I've even skipped the Kohler rebuild ($$$) in favor of a Predator V twin from HF- a $650 Honda GX690 copy basically. It's a shoe-in that could potentially be permanent.

Gotta engineer a new way to mount it to the pump as it's originally direct spline drive.
Yeah that makes sense, I think it's hard to get parts for those Kohlers now so that was a wise choice.

Just a little progress tonight. I removed the pedal assembly so I could fix the rotted-out expanded metal floor pan. I also removed the control handles so I can rework the rusty one and get them operating smoothly again. That other thing in the picture is the previously removed hydraulic oil reservoir. 2017-01-12 1.JPG 2017-01-12 2.jpg

A little more progress today. I got what was left of the old expanded metal floor cut out and a new piece welded in. I also got a coat of primer on it. I was hoping to do some more today but with all the heater, degreaser, cleaner, welder and paint fumes I had to call it a day. It's funny, even after multiple cleaning sessions I still manage to get tons of dirt and grime off the thing when I get to working on it. I had another pile on the floor after I cut the floor out. It's the gift that keeps on giving!

IMG_7415.JPG IMG_7417.JPG IMG_7414.JPG IMG_7416.JPG IMG_7418.JPG

Today I got the new floor painted, the hydraulic reservoir wire wheeled and painted, the Hi/Lo speed detent bracket wire wheeled and painted and started fixing a botched patch job on one of the drive levers. I also started taking a couple hoses off so I can start having new ones made. It's starting to feel a little bit like progress, but I still have a long way to go.

IMG_7424.JPG IMG_7422.JPG IMG_7423.JPG IMG_7425.JPG IMG_7426.JPG IMG_7427.JPG

A friend of mine was rebuilding an extedable arm backhoe he bought. He bought a used hose crimping machine, and bought hose by the roll and a bunch of fittings to start. Then bought fittings as required for oddball ends. When he was done, he turned back innthe extra fittings he didnt use for a refund, and resold the crimper on Craigslist where he bought it. Saved a ton doing them himself. Depending how many hoses you do, it might be worth looking at.

A friend of mine was rebuilding an extedable arm backhoe he bought. He bought a used hose crimping machine, and bought hose by the roll and a bunch of fittings to start. Then bought fittings as required for oddball ends. When he was done, he turned back innthe extra fittings he didnt use for a refund, and resold the crimper on Craigslist where he bought it. Saved a ton doing them himself. Depending how many hoses you do, it might be worth looking at.
I had thought about doing it that way, but after a brief search I didn't find a tool that would work. I'll do some more searching. Thanks for the tip.

Between prepping the Tahoe for the dyno and getting a nice stomach bug, I haven't had a chance to make any progress on the NH over the last couple weeks. I had an hour to spare today so I did a couple things. I finally installed the new hoses I had made. You can also see in the pic how I painted a couple steel lines with Rust Encapsulator. I also reinstalled the speed selector detent bracket after it had been cleaned and painted. The final thing I did was start to make new control pedal linkages. It feels good to make some progress once again. IMG_7524.JPGIMG_7525.JPGIMG_7528.JPG

Another hackjob repair tonight. Stock one of the drive control handles had a horn button in it. So at the bottom there was a hole for the wires to feed through. Lots of crud must have collected in that hole over time and caused the handle to rust. Someone did a nasty fix so I had to address that. It took some trial and error, but the end result turned out pretty well. A little wire wheel work on the other handle and then some paint. Oh and yes there's some porosity in one of the welds because I didn't clean it before welding.....but there wasn't a weld there from the factory so it's still better than it was new.

IMG_7538.JPG IMG_7539.JPG IMG_7540.JPG

Back