• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel System redone

Oh, wasn’t saying wife doesn’t want 6.5 around. Just saying I am never going to attempt to win an argument with her. I could prove every point I make and disprove every point she makes. So I could win the point- but win the argument ? No, no one ever wins an argument with their wife. It’s like winning battle but loosing war. Make your wife feel lesser, and you just lost the war.

38? We are pups at 25.
33 years for us come this Sept.

Update. This pump has been deemed DOA as well as a fourth one installed on another truck (not the 94 down the street) and two more apparently have been returned to the seller. This morning, the seller had a 'come to Jesus meeting' with the company that does these rebuilds (I wasn't told the name of the company other than 'they are big in the business' [whatever that means]). The Seller is sending all their stock back to company that does these rebuilds which has decided to cease production of these rebuilds until it can resolve what appears to be an Optic Sensor Calibration software issue. I'm being sent a pump from the rebuild company BUT not one of theirs...Flight Line or Systems or something. That's interesting. Standing by for round 4....

Last edited:
Replaced the pump yet again a while back. No joy. Haven't had one single care to try to sort it out. Thought about throwing in another set of injectors but, would use an old set that may not be perfect but where working fine when last used.
I went through the entire adjustment range with two different tunes and no joy. I'll get an idea to try this or that, recheck a ground or connection. I guess the only thing to do now is try those old injectors and if that doesn't work, pull the IP and put the old one back on

Truthfully though, I'm pretty much done. I walk past the hulk with the hood up and think, "I should push this thing outside and let the wife park her work car in here."

Work has had me out of town all of August, plus chasing some crew duties on the salt flats in my spare time (31 Ford Coupe with a 472 Chevy) in September.

Right now I'm recovering from a deep incision in my back that's had me sidelined for a few weeks that has prevented me from bending and stretching so working on the truck has been out. Still got another week or so of recovery and then I'm leaving in soon for the month of November.

Hate to throw in the towel but I just don't really care to chase whatever this gremlin is. I got a few thousand in parts I can pull from this one and from the wrecked Suburban still (Turbo's, new injectors, harmonic balancers, water pump kits, lighting, stereo's, speakers, gauges etc.). Nothing to put them on though...oh well. Maybe I'll get a box of 'I care' for Christmas.

Much thanks to friends who kept fingers crossed for me. Especially AKDieselDriver for the long term loan of his scanner. It'll be on its way home in the morning amigo.

Ack, sorry I missed this drama. I’ve been busy doing the work from home from the Montana Ranch. We did make trips down to SoCal in May and June for medical appointments and I was just down there for a week each time. Orherwise been doing the work grind.

Hang in Paul. We're all a bit out of enthusiasm after this train wreck of a year. Tough to be motivated, especially if you've been under the knife. So try to be patient and put the project on the shelf until spiritual renewal shows up. You'll know when it happens...and you know it eventually will.

One of these days you’ll get bit by the db2 bug. It sure simplifies a lot of the fight.
No fair for me cuz all I knew was db for a long time so I didn’t feel like I was giving up anything on the ds4 abandonment move.

dang dr’s hackin and choppin on us all! Just cuz we want to keep living and stuff! Haha hang in there

These things too shall pass is what they tell Me in {THEM} meetings.
Hang in there and get healed up. It will get better.
I need to yank the radiator from My truck and get a new one ordered from Chris, had rotator cuff surgery and I wont be doing much for at least a month or more.
It is all good though, long as I get it accomplished before spring time.

@Paveltolz
Any update on this poorject ?
Boy, it’s been a while huh. I’m alive and getting over contract losses, forced retirement, shingles and a bad attitude which is why I’ve “logged out” of many things. Pro tip: grandkids.

The truck, not so much. Still my driveway gnome. Latest theory is maybe the camshaft IP drive gear wasn’t properly torqued, if at all, during the build and the Camshaft Injector Pump Drive Gear Key is sheared. Why the sudden shift from “ok-ish” performance with initial IP and injectors installed to undrivability with new IP (s) and injectors is no longer a point of concern. Bill wants time to investigate and I don’t care to disassemble. My brother wants to test run his new trailer and Bill really wants a crack at it where he has space time and his tools so, this Friday (7 Oct 22) the truck gets schlepped to WA so the motor may meet its maker and both can find closure.

Boy, it’s been a while huh. I’m alive and getting over contract losses, forced retirement, shingles and a bad attitude which is why I’ve “logged out” of many things. Pro tip: grandkids.

The truck, not so much. Still my driveway gnome. Latest theory is maybe the camshaft IP drive gear wasn’t properly torqued, if at all, during the build and the Camshaft Injector Pump Drive Gear Key is sheared. Why the sudden shift from “ok-ish” performance with initial IP and injectors installed to undrivability with new IP (s) and injectors is no longer a point of concern. Bill wants time to investigate and I don’t care to disassemble. My brother wants to test run his new trailer and Bill really wants a crack at it where he has space time and his tools so, this Friday (7 Oct 22) the truck gets schlepped to WA so the motor may meet its maker and both can find closure.
My recent experience with a sheared timing gear key:
51CF5DD0-851C-42DE-B51D-1C2672BA9C8D.jpegC42C2444-0730-47A8-B9B1-854E93E7F9AA.jpeg0E2D3D87-00A6-4B5B-8FDF-580AF10ED6D5.jpegD33CAFDD-C2AA-42FA-B665-D4238DCB8276.jpegEB7F31C9-EF4A-4820-8885-9749E1110A34.jpeg

ROAD TRIP
Finished the drive up to WA to drop off my truck at Bill's so he can dive into the issue that I'm not getting near (wrenches associated with that job don't fit my hands).
Thursday (7 OCT) my brother Jack drove up from Ventura CA with an almost quick stop in Quartzite AZ to pick up his newly modified trailer from our brother Ted (former 6.5 owner and member '635'). Friday morning we loaded up the truck after buying a new wheel and tire because my the offsets on my current wheels and big tires were too wide to fit the trailer. Truck has an 80" wide track and the trailer is 77" wide at the fenders, spare tire mount and front rails. Used spare on the other side. New wheel looks good so.... Other issue was the now shorter front tires made the truck too long for the trailer as the cross member hit the front rail before the tires did and the rears were barely on the bed. A couple of 2x6s screwed together for the tires to rest on and we could pull it all the way up and had the room for the rear tires. Just barely as they about hit the fenders as well.

Short history on the Truck and Trailer: Trailer was originally 16' but got bobbed because of rust. Guy that rebuilt it added lights all around it cause Ted is a former flat bed, AKA 'Skate Board' long haul professional driver, and likes lights to include 'runway lights' on the bed. Still, at 13" 9" it would be fine as the truck's wheel base is 12' on center. Jack's truck is a 2017 with the LT5 DuraMax (BtFarm approved I'm sure) so it didn't feel the trailer or the truck at all. Fuel mileage was 23 with trailer alone and 13-18 depending on the grades.

$400 worth of new 3/8" chains and ratchet binders later and 6 hours behind schedule we were off on a 'hot shot load' non-stop 800 miles to Washington, darn near Canada. Next morning, after off loading we drove over the Cascades to visit with his mom, brother and sister-in-law in Sedro-Woolley. We then made a 'short' run to Pendelton OR where we spent the night and got an early start and spent the evening here on the deck enjoying steak and the full moon rising. Jack rolled out early this morning and after another 11.5 hrs he is safely home. Total driving distance since Thursday morning: 3727.1 miles.

Enjoy the pictures
Elberta UT, 27 miles south of my home.
image000000(10).jpg

SSDD, Same Smoke... Chugged and lugged but made it up.
IMG_6102.JPG

"Fat bottom girls" may make the world go round but, fat tires don't fit between the fenders etc.
IMG_6106.JPG

Short OEM tires don't allow the truck to get all the way forward either. A little lift needed.
IMG_6113.JPG

Ready to roll.
IMG_6119.JPG

Tight fit but the chains also acted as chocks.
IMG_6123.JPG

Looks good under the lights, even with the paint scuffed with 220 for possible paint job in the future.
IMG_6140.JPG

New Chains and Binders show off well too. Need a new tail gait light strip though.
20221007_205327.jpg

View off the deck after 'Mission Complete' and some awesome steak.
IMG_6172.JPG

Last edited:
So you did a full paint job on that truck?
Nope, it's still scuffed, DA sanded in places and, after a high pressure wash, missing more self delaminating paint from. Was going too get it stripped and painted but the guy who was supposed to shoot it never got back to me and then the fun started. Swore I wouldn't spend another $%^&* dime I didn't have to on the truck until it was running right. Between the fuel, tire, wheel, chains and hotels, damn thing is still being a B.O.A.T. (bust out anotha thousand).

Correction to Jacks motor code, not an LT5 but, the L5P. Shouldn't trust my memory these days.

Just got off the phone and the issue is....NOT the Camshaft Injector Pump Drive Gear Key. Everything there is right and tight. Head scratching begins again.
I would have to be there to trouble shoot it. Not going to speculate or pontificate.

I would have to be there to trouble shoot it. Not going to speculate or pontificate.
Me neither. Phone con today and after 24hrs of deliberation, the motor is coming out. Prior to removing the front timing set cover he'd noted that after running and smoking for 90 min with no improvement in smoke reduction or smoothing of idle the low coolant light came on. Every six to 12 months I have to top off the fluid and I'm not sure if I'd done it prior to hauling up there but, I did include a couple of DexCool gal. jugs in the stuff I sent with up with the truck so I'm betting it needed a top off and I just had my 'screwit' mode engaged and decided to let him deal with it.

No coolant under it, no smell of it in the exhaust and oil levels are/were correct.

So, disassemble to ascertain what is going on and is it salvageable, great. If not, shopping for another motor. Hope springs eternal that he has a contact somewhere with access to better pricing on an Optimizer. If so, I'd pull what's better for the motor from this one like the head and crank studs along with the cam. With an insane amount of luck, maybe an old customer wants to dump their rusted out truck with a P-400. He's acquired a couple of them that way so far but, for the race truck. But, that's a topic for another thread.

In the meantime, I'm planning a road trip to help out. Fixing it in the truck is one thing. Pulling the motor by ones self is quite another.

Broken clock reading the same- but you dont need any supporting parts to try a db2 other than pump and injection lines. Don’t even hook up a throttle cable. Just remove the intake, 8 lines from the injectors and lift the ip like a spider. Drop on db2 with lines and learn without pulling the motor out and apart.
Still runs bad - smoking and all that- then yeah you probably washed a cylinder or something.

I don’t remember- did y’all do compression test?
Clear ip return line?
Ever put the soda bottles on all 8 injector lines to see fuel coming out equal on all 8?

Back