• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel System redone

Sure , it's a Crane regrind . Haven't run it yet , life gets in the way . Had my heads ported as well . Very close to what Chris has . More lift and duration especially on the exhaust side . I felt that there was more to the cam side of things . GM did not design it for power and let's face it the bean counters get their way always . Main reasons was I was tired of all the replies to run a bigger turbo for more power . Kinda like using a bigger hammer to get the same power . Didn't like that thought process so started looking at other ideas . Same thing with porting . Nobody does that , just run more boost . Ah no , that didn't work for me . And , like Chris , it's my engine and I'll give it a try . What I'd really like to do is get ahold of the biggest cam and put the biggest ratio rockers on and see what happens .

@ Will. No compression test done apparently. Not his first rodeo and so when the IP Cam Drive Gears Woodruff key was inspected and found to be blameless, he knew what was next in the line up of suspects…so, the motor was yanked and along with the heads, the motor‘s been disassembled and inspected. Turns out the bottom end, rods, pistons, piston rings, piston height etc. are all as they were when assembled. Cylinder walls are still cross hatched…

Short history on the motor. Diesel Depot built the motor for 635 with the ‘help’ of ideas and advice of Ian, another former member here, for an attempt to build a 500 hp motor. Thread may still be in the archives…MaxxTorque still has the article “The Best Ever 6.5 Chevy Diesel Rebuild (Vol 1, issue 3) but it requires a membership to get the whole thing. I don’t know if they’re even around to approve new members….
1668977912704.jpeg

Anyhoo, the build started with a 660, 6.2 NA block. Supposed to have a forged crank but, that along with the Clevite bearings didn’t happen which is how I got it. King bearings used instead failed and the crank was taken out in less than 25K miles (picture below). Still, the intake and exhaust runners along with the manifolds were extrude honed (ported and polished?) and ceramic coatings applied to piston tops and valves and heads (visible in the earlier pic.). Against his advice, I bought the remains off Ted, retained the good stuff (except apparently the valves weren’t good) replaced pistons w/30 over Mahle, rods and rod bearings, Scat Crank turned down for 2 piece rear main, studded the mains, heads and, for grins, the HT-4 Cam etc. etc. and twisted Bill’s arm into doing the work… so much for short story but, those who know me…know.

FWIW, my old motor was a 141 block with 200k plus miles, had been abused by previous owner and my own learning curve. With the cracked heads, an ATT Turbo and one of the many tunes I’ve experimented with it pulled 175hp on the dyno with equally 6.5 abysmal torque.

Never did a dyno pull with the new motor after breaking it in but, it was a good puller though it didn’t really live up to the hype. Still, a couple of members here rode in it and liked the initial results.57F0C379-3784-4DFC-8FB2-7A477E60FBD5.jpeg

Sure , it's a Crane regrind . Haven't run it yet , life gets in the way . Had my heads ported as well . Very close to what Chris has . More lift and duration especially on the exhaust side . I felt that there was more to the cam side of things . GM did not design it for power and let's face it the bean counters get their way always . Main reasons was I was tired of all the replies to run a bigger turbo for more power . Kinda like using a bigger hammer to get the same power . Didn't like that thought process so started looking at other ideas . Same thing with porting . Nobody does that , just run more boost . Ah no , that didn't work for me . And , like Chris , it's my engine and I'll give it a try . What I'd really like to do is get ahold of the biggest cam and put the biggest ratio rockers on and see what happens .

Thanks for sharing; is Crane the company or the name of the type of grind? Just curious as to what legitimate regrinds are out there, as opposed to an SS Diesel "performance cam" LOL...

I have a future build that is also getting a regrind via Chris, engine is going into a 1 ton dump so that regrind will be for more low end torque, how that translates to how the cam is modified me knows not, just an amateur here as the name implies 🙃

Anywho it seems @Paveltolz 's main issue with this engine was bad valves then? Any idea whether the heads were GM, GEP or some knockoff?

@Paveltolz
Pretty sure that was the engine you were running when Les and I met up with you and took turns driving it by the alignment shop way back when.
I remember it being nice and peppy. 500- nooo. But a good feel to it.

Cant say I wouldn’t have just yanked it out also with what’s going on.
Bill knows what’s up, He will get her happy again.

@Paveltolz
Pretty sure that was the engine you were running when Les and I met up with you and took turns driving it by the alignment shop way back when.
I remember it being nice and peppy. 500- nooo. But a good feel to it.

Cant say I wouldn’t have just yanked it out also with what’s going on.
Bill knows what’s up, He will get her happy again.
Yes, this the same motor. Like I said, when it was good, it was quite good but, that was then and this is now.

Since the issues seemed to be deeper into the motor, Bill wanted to open it up, top and bottom, and that's easier to work on it on a stand. He can just push the truck out of the shop into the snow and leave the motor in where its warm.

The 'new' injectors were pulled today and are really coked up from engine smoking like a saw mill. Spray patterns are shot. Nozzles and Pintles need sonic cleaning to get that corrected but, no shops in the Okanagan vic. So, my spare set of new units from Quadstar are getting sent out Monday. Anyone know a good shop I can send these contaminated units too? I think there's north of me in Bluffdale UT but, any recommendations would be appreciated. The shop in Bluffdale hosed me on a set of rebuilt units AK tried to pop test and the ones that did pop went at over 3000 lbs. I popped them at Bill's and the worse one went around 3400# and pissed like a drunk holding a bladder load for an hour.

Valve springs were very week too. New units along with retainers and locks ordered. What was that I said about not spending another dime?
Guess I never said anything about dollars though.

For those with a glutton for punishment, I found one of threads on the rebuild. The link to 'fun with Ted and todd' is dead though...too old I guess (or painful). Have fun..

The 'new' injectors were pulled today and are really coked up from engine smoking like a saw mill. Spray patterns are shot. Nozzles and Pintles need sonic cleaning to get that corrected but, no shops in the Okanagan vic. So, my spare set of new units from Quadstar are getting sent out Monday. Anyone know a good shop I can send these contaminated units too? I think there's north of me in Bluffdale UT but, any recommendations would be appreciated. The shop in Bluffdale hosed me on a set of rebuilt units AK tried to pop test and the ones that did pop went at over 3000 lbs. I popped them at Bill's and the worse one went around 3400# and pissed like a drunk holding a bladder load for an hour.

Valve springs were very week too. New units along with retainers and locks ordered. What was that I said about not spending another dime?
Guess I never said anything about dollars though.

For those with a glutton for punishment, I found one of threads on the rebuild. The link to 'fun with Ted and todd' is dead though...too old I guess (or painful). Have fun..
Just buy new Bosch injectors from Leroy.

While this thread has changed from Fuel Issues to yet another rebuild on this block, it was fuel issue driven so, I’ll keep the saga going…

The parts from Summit will finally get delivered today (valve springs, retainers, head and valve cover gaskets) along with the injectors I sent up. Snow and all has created some delays...
CC961E33-5799-44B4-854C-DB94B08F910D.jpeg

332525B2-87A3-4B14-B2B4-6418C4A97C60.jpeg

The lower Intake and Oil pan arrived already.
The bottom end will be further inspected to ensure all is gooch with mains, bearings etc.
OEM Valves are profiled and ready for the heads to get resurfaced (next week).
F0C54ACE-064E-434F-A5F4-C0E6FCC23AA9.jpeg2BFFE101-55E3-49DA-B965-5912BFFE4701.jpeg62283A4D-E2AA-4168-9D97-D5D6529F5C88.jpeg

While this thread has changed from Fuel Issues to yet another rebuild on this block, it was fuel issue driven so, I’ll keep the saga going…

The parts from Summit will finally get delivered today (valve springs, retainers, head and valve cover gaskets) along with the injectors I sent up. Snow and all has created some delays...
View attachment 78014

View attachment 78013

The lower Intake and Oil pan arrived already.
The bottom end will be further inspected to ensure all is gooch with mains, bearings etc.
OEM Valves are profiled and ready for the heads to get resurfaced (next week).
View attachment 78008View attachment 78011View attachment 78012
Wow you got a good dump of snow.

Big thanks to Chris of Team Mursick Rennen and Mike Eaton of Jessco Racing.
Heads got the 'fly cutter wheel' treatment at Chris Mursick's Welding (and Machine Works) in Okanogan. Turned out great and saved a 7hr round trip drive to Yakima.
20221211 Head Resurface.jpg

20221212 Head Resurface.jpg

Chris is great people, a brother Army Veteran and holds many SCTA land speed records in VW's and is currently running a 1.8L VW Diesel in his Messerschmitt themed streamliner. 2021 on his first run with a VW Gasser flat 4 he was passing 110mph in first gear when he passed the first mile marker but aborted the run. Got rained out this year so the maiden voyage with the diesel will probably be at El Mirage in May. Hope Bill will run his truck there as well...aaaannnd I digress...again. Those who know me, know....

1671117605339.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice to see the shop removed the precups before resurfacing the head👍

I’ve come across some places that leave the precups in place.Hard to get good work performed nowadays but some machine shops are still dedicated in doing the job correctly.It’s just a matter of weeding them out.

Wouldn't that then leave the precup sticking up a couple of thousandths above the head surface when reinstalled and lead to possible head gasket sealing issues after assembly, since half the precup is in the cylinder and the other half is over the block? Or am I missing something?

Yes, PreCups were removed prior to surfacing.
Bill is edumacating Chris on IDI vs. DI and the subtleties. Like me, Chris confesses he suffers a bit from information overload at times, and just has to do what the customer wants.
Precups... those will be machined / surfaced to ensure correct specs now that the heads are a thousandth-ish different.

Here's a couple more eye candy shots of Chris' Karman Gia LSRsIMG_4492.JPGIMG_4308.JPG

Back