• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel System redone

You thinking crappy/sloppy internals in the "rebuilds" that wouldn't time right (my not knowing your source(s) for said pumps), Paul?

I'm very sure there's an issue with the quality of the rebuilds and I'm also considering that one or more of my new off the top of the shelf Bosch Injectors sitting on the driver side of the motor may be the cause of the popping/backfiring noise and smoke.

Smoke and pops only coming from that side of the engine from the EGR hole (lower intake still sitting off to the side with boost and AIT sensors hooked up to avoid codes). Nothing from the Passenger side or, little known to me, is the EGR path only from the passenger side? Now that I got the IP timed and the TDC off the bottom peg, I can try turning off cylinders again. Like I said, last attempt to run the engine control tools on the TechII while the pump was way over to the passenger side resulted in shut down and no restart. Slowly raising the RPMs about 250 results in a lot of protesting popping and increased smoke from tail pipe. Tempted to drive it and maybe the injector will unstick. Worried that it won't and I'll need AAA to get home or, worse, damage something.

I took yesterday off, completely (extended family visit with 'grand kids') Thursday and Friday took me down. My own grandkids are coming today so, truck can wait, grandkids build memories now!

Monday is a 'family day' at work so contractors can't go into the building (military). I work from home anyway so, I'll wait for the 'all clear' from the COR and then I'll give the cylinder tests a shot.

Yes to the "F" lower intake. As you can see from the picture of my helper, the intakes aren't back in place yet. I worked with the 2nd rebuild for a couple of hours trying to Time the $%^&* thing and do a TDC Learn both with the Tech II and the 'key on, throttle down for 45 second' methods...no joy. Grey blue smoke from the tail is always present. In the past it was clouds. Now it is just a slight haze until RPMs are brought up. It used to go away when the engine warmed up but now it doesn't go away for love and obviously money. Heaven forbid the wind is from the north and blow into the garage when it's running.
Fuel is only a month old.
There's some 2 stroke in the tank, 1 qt to 20 gal.

So my understanding of the EGR system is that exhaust gases come from both sides and the volume is controlled by the EGR valve itself. Shou have exhaust gases coming from both sides

Yeah, that's what I figured but, there's always something to learn with this thing. There's some exhaust pressure coming from the passenger side. just doesn't push up as it does on the driver's...nor smoke...pop...snap.... I really need to get a video up of this phenomena.

Thanks guys. I don't suspect a cracked head. Just wondering what's the exhaust path to the EGR...It's good to know information and a place to look. I'll start it up today with the lower intake still off and shut down #3 and see what the results are. Fingers crossed for an obvious and positive result. Earlier attempts at shutting down one cylinder at a time had #7 showing some improvement but, double checking never hurt. The #3 injector is easier to replace than #7 and I can switch it with #1 to see if the issues follow the injector.

My son's gal sent me a dad pun that is in harmony with all this. "I dreamed last night I was a muffler and woke up exhausted." Don't blame me, I'm the messenger.

So, it is the popping is coming from #3...fine. Probably a result of the lower intake being off and is 'normal.' Fine by me.
Adjusted the pump a calibrated '[anatomical] hair" or two and got TDC to -0.44. Fine by me.
Once the engine cools off I'll put the intakes assemblies back on, button everything up and see what happens.
It is still smokey out the tail pipe but, nothing like is has been. Smoke might clear up as the exhaust heats up all the way back and residue burns out of the muffler etc. We'll see.
Right now the ol' 'Give A Hoot Meter' is pretty well pegged at zero...can you tell?

Some of us consider the new ds4 ip a heresy, ya know them db pumps are the correct ones that came on it first! Haha
Anybody can make a mechanical IP work....it takes talent and tenacity to do it with a DS4 😂😂😂 and a decent dose of insanity to keep doing different things expecting a different result.🤣🤣🤣🤣

Oh, wasn’t saying wife doesn’t want 6.5 around. Just saying I am never going to attempt to win an argument with her. I could prove every point I make and disprove every point she makes. So I could win the point- but win the argument ? No, no one ever wins an argument with their wife. It’s like winning battle but loosing war. Make your wife feel lesser, and you just lost the war.

38? We are pups at 25.

Back