• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A Team Turbo A Year Later

Umm was this a turbo thread or a catch all of all thoughts that come to mind went off course with air box which is sort of related to turbo supply, then propane, then cost of owning a Dmax, then rust, can we run back to turbos again?

We could talk about Johndeere Countryboy's avatar.:eek:

Might make some whistle like an ATT.

I really like my att especially after i made custom chip for it (good for gm-x turbos too)
I wouldn't change back to gm-x turbo for any price...

Man, I can't say enough good things about my ATT! I took a load up to Shreveport, La., from Houma, La., yesterday and boy........was this one heavy!:sifone::driving:

where did ya have to take that? were they stripping out of the hole?

as a driller....the last thing i like to see is boots and coots....:nonod:

cause the s--- done hit the fan :eek:

sure seems to be an interesting setup with a load of potentials.

Hey man, you have a build up of your ranger somewhere?

i lost it. was making a page with car domain and it froze and i lost it all...re working it though.....

not really a build up for the truck...it was a dramatic downgrade in power. but uhhh....driving by gas pumps makes it livable):h

possibly may build up a gep a little when i get the money for one...been working for @ 1/2 pay the last year so i sure as hell wasnt able to save like originally planned.

basically took the engine from one of my work vans and dropped it in the ranger. i liked the mechanical 6.5 as it is light and will run on anything.

very surprised by the roadability of this na turd...looking forward to a turbo model. but i have driven many 6.5 td and a few yukons so i know what to expect.

i would not own a fullsize 6.5 over a psd for what i do as far as towing goes.
but thats me.

now a d max....thats a towing machine.

Damn straight....:D

Yep... it would be cheaper to pay someone to tow what you need the D-Max for to tow that the 6.5 couldn't handle... How many years left on that payment book?

When are we going to see a vendor giveaway for the ATT?? :thumbsup::thumbsup::ban:

Yep... it would be cheaper to pay someone to tow what you need the D-Max for to tow that the 6.5 couldn't handle... How many years left on that payment book?

When are we going to see a vendor giveaway for the ATT?? :thumbsup::thumbsup::ban:

They are just about given away now from my perspective ):h. I can't do it any cheaper, I still have to pay to make them :confused:, I think one Dmax payment would buy a few up grades and a years worth of Dmax payments would just about set a 6.5 straight with all the mods needed,

Not sure....don't keep track....don't need to...

I saved enough cash during my 6.5 owning years to make this purchase pretty manageable....:thumbsup:

Not sure?? don't keep track and don't need to :rolleyes5: Hummm glad for you, I need to keep track of every penny.

Also on the turbo front what causes LAg ?? IN otherwords is it lacks of availible PSI ? Size of compressor ? Ability to spool quickly ?

The ATT turbo doesn't have lag, I don't know what people consider lag, The only thing that is positive from the start in boost is a blower. The ATT makes a 6.5 truck run like a truck not a gasser race engine. NO LAG,

The ATT was designed to fit either a T 3 or 4 depending on what you are running. Always have to have something in the works.

Last edited:
I actually wasn't specifcally meaning the ATT, I meant in general, sorry for the confusion. Let me elbaorate. I want to run an IC because the CUCV has loads of room for it so trying to figure what causes the lag running an IC with any turbo even the GMxs. I guess what I'm trying to ask is what causes Turbo lag in general escpcially if running an IC and what could be done to compensate. If this was the wrong place to ask move as nessicary. Just don't quite get that end of it. Could I run higher pressure with an IC ? The reason I have looke dat the ATT for my CUCV is from what I have read the 6.2s should not see more than 7-8 psi which I don't understand since a 6.5 can handle 14 psi and since the ATT seems o be more effiecent at lower psi it might be what I want but what I don't get is why a 6.2 can't handle 14psi when a 6.5 can and would an IC correct that ?
I'm still trying to find someone who can tell me for certain what flange the Banks Manifold is. Banks is adamantly against running anything but thier turbsetup in its entirety and won' give out what flange it is but I think a better system can be achieved but I'm leaning away from the 6.5 manifold because of potential clearnce issues. I hate to buy a manifold from them for 400$ and it not fit anything but thier turbo. Would defeat the purpose. Alot of people have used a 6.5 F intake inplace of the banks airhat thingy and reported much better response. Not going to do this until spring but trying to get my info in order.

Last edited:
The ATT may not have "LAG" but it builds boost slower, because it flows more exhaust around the compressor than the GMX. So it take a slightly higher fuel input and RPM to achieve the exhaust volume and velocity to get it spinning to see an appreciable amount of boost. This is common to larger compressors designed to be most efficient at higher boost levels and RPM. Some people solve this by running a dual inline, "compound", turbo with one small turbine and one large turbine, or one lower RPM supercharger and a high RPM efficient turbo.

In stock and my engh tune the fuel table has a large spike around idle when you step on it, and then dips significantly before climbing in fuel rate. Heath actually lowers that initial spike and builds fuel output faster after. I have been modifiying my fuel output table and got rid of the most of the thick puff of black smoke when I step on it from a stop.

The IC creates LAG just because the intake is further from the compressor and some restriction. Unless you really like off the line performance its not big deal, just like with ATT its nothing big. You can advance timing until its annoying to start and rattles, to get off the line performance from the engine.

Back