• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A Team Turbo A Year Later

I like the hood scoop idea, or maybe the fender scoop.

I dont plan on modding the exterior though and want to relocate the battery so I can have the ATT pulling air through a filter right behind the headlights.

Now there's an idea....wonder if the battery could be placed where the coolant tank is now? I'm just worried about turbo heat radiation. Even if it were shielded would it.....maybe add a insulated battery cover for added protection...:scratchchin: Flow air in through the front bumper/light area. I think that would help get a little 'cooler' air to the ATT. Goodbye HAI, hello Dolly...( sorry :D). So let's get to work. :smash: :Chevy_anim:

Maybe before you know it, we will have fellows/ladies pulling their DMax's and installing a modded 6.5! LOL.

Maybe before you know it, we will have fellows/ladies pulling their DMax's and installing a modded 6.5! LOL.

:smile5: I think if they knew then what we know now, well, they wouldn't have payments for a better performing truck! :eek:):h I can attest, I wouldn't dare think about 'PAYMENTS' in these troubled times, even tough there was a time when I didn't think my 6.5 would live long doing what I do. BUT, I chance to find the ATT, :hail:, and I was able to cast a side all doubt. Now I think, payments, yeah right! :grouphug: The 6.5 family!

:smile5: I think if they knew then what we know now, well, they wouldn't have payments for a better performing truck! :eek:):h I can attest, I wouldn't dare think about 'PAYMENTS' in these troubled times, even tough there was a time when I didn't think my 6.5 would live long doing what I do. BUT, I chance to find the ATT, :hail:, and I was able to cast a side all doubt. Now I think, payments, yeah right! :grouphug: The 6.5 family!

Just a few of those Duramax payments can buy you a lot of upgrades for your 6.5 :D And then it is all smiles on the way past the bank.

I was wondering, Why couldnt you just build a box around the filter, and draw air up from through the fender. I figured if you faced the opening in the vents (towards the front of the truck) in the direction of the tire rotation, water and dirt couldnt be thrown in the housing right?

Just a few of those Duramax payments can buy you a lot of upgrades for your 6.5 :D And then it is all smiles on the way past the bank.

Just a few of those D-Max payments can buy you a FEW 6.5's!

Screw that payment is right....

After the thrill and the chase of the D-Max is over, and you have one in your driveway. You have 3-6 years to resent it. That is, unless something happens and you could be truckless, with NOTHING to show for it.

Yeah and here in Michigan the rust wil get it before you are finished paying for it. :wtf: Vicious cycle, I love my cheap old 6.5, that is paid for:D

Yeah and here in Michigan the rust wil get it before you are finished paying for it. :wtf: Vicious cycle, I love my cheap old 6.5, that is paid for:D

I dont know about that, when I was in welding school we got to go to INTECH there in new carlisle IN. The make all the sheet steel for almost all cars. A few foreign cars like honda still got their metal from china. They said the new galvanizing they were using would never rust out.

I dont know about that, when I was in welding school we got to go to INTECH there in new carlisle IN. The make all the sheet steel for almost all cars. A few foreign cars like honda still got their metal from china. They said the new galvanizing they were using would never rust out.

Forgot to mention the Calcium Chloride they spray on the dirt roads to keep the dust down. That is as corrosive as winter salt. I have had enough cars that have been ruined by dirt roads and winter salt to confirm they may last just a long as the payment then they are downhill from their. JUST my 2 cents worth.

Forgot to mention the Calcium Chloride they spray on the dirt roads to keep the dust down. That is as corrosive as winter salt. I have had enough cars that have been ruined by dirt roads and winter salt to confirm they may last just a long as the payment then they are downhill from their. JUST my 2 cents worth.

They said this was new like in the past 5 years. I havent really noticed any 5 year old cars rusting so maybe it is working.

My jimmy has michigan cancer and my dads old 79 was almost junk from it.

Got the rust issues here too, I am trying to put some replacement sheetmetal on my truck, picking away at it when I can. Sometimes it seems overwhelming (try finding a good used dually bed) but if I could afford a truck payment I'd rather put that money into restoring my truck. Unfortunately I can't afford to do either, so my truck just keeps getting older and worse looking. Haven't given up yet, as long as the drivetrain holds together I'll keep picking away at the body. Ofcourse, by the time I get it finished and painted and looking new again, the motor will probably fall out the bottom, but what can you do?

Galvanizing stops water from creating rust, but does not stop salt from eating away at the galvanizing. It may slow it down, but it'll rust out. Perhaps (hopefully) there is something new out.

Stainless steel, or aluminum, or fiberglass are the only options I am aware of that salt can not rust. The best thing to look at for salt defeat is marine stuff. IT's all Fiberglass with stainless steel hardware. IF there is a new type of galvanizing available to resist salt, they would save a ton by using an alternative to stainless....... AFAIK there is no alternative.

Got the rust issues here too, I am trying to put some replacement sheetmetal on my truck, picking away at it when I can. Sometimes it seems overwhelming (try finding a good used dually bed) but if I could afford a truck payment I'd rather put that money into restoring my truck. Unfortunately I can't afford to do either, so my truck just keeps getting older and worse looking. Haven't given up yet, as long as the drivetrain holds together I'll keep picking away at the body. Ofcourse, by the time I get it finished and painted and looking new again, the motor will probably fall out the bottom, but what can you do?

Has anyone tried that rust converter stuff? Its supposed to have a chemical reaction with the iron and form some kind of coating that will be sufed to the steel. People in farm magazines swear by it.

Galvanizing stops water from creating rust, but does not stop salt from eating away at the galvanizing. It may slow it down, but it'll rust out. Perhaps (hopefully) there is something new out.

Stainless steel, or aluminum, or fiberglass are the only options I am aware of that salt can not rust. The best thing to look at for salt defeat is marine stuff. IT's all Fiberglass with stainless steel hardware. IF there is a new type of galvanizing available to resist salt, they would save a ton by using an alternative to stainless....... AFAIK there is no alternative.

This sheet metal factory gets its iron ore from the UP of michigan and is so hi tech they can make steel cheaper then china. If anyone can make a rust proof galvanizing its them.

My corn picker was all galvanized and never in the salt but there is no galvanizing on it anymore. This galvanizing they were putting on was some sort of super heated electrostatic stuff. Every time I see a newer car I always look for rust.

My moms 04 yukon is starting to rust on the chrome pumper.

Umm was this a turbo thread or a catch all of all thoughts that come to mind went off course with air box which is sort of related to turbo supply, then propane, then cost of owning a Dmax, then rust, can we run back to turbos again?

Back