• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A Team Turbo A Year Later

I have not tried it yet but I believe the guys running gmx setups on 6.2s are running the ex outside the framerail.

Aces get a hold of one twisted one (1Twisted1) member name. He can answer all most all of your questions he did what you are trying to do and has 36 or 37 inch tires as well. Pm him he is a good guy and will tell you straight.

Yep been talking with him in the 6.2 secton. He got lucky though, he has the heads where the inj don't hit the 6.5 manifold.

He is using turbo van injectors, you can as well. The body of van injectors is shorter than standard 6.5 turbo injectors.

I'm still leaning towards using a Banks sidewinder ex manifold then fabbing everything else. Dennis has anybody tried bolting an ATT to a sidewinder ? I may take you up on that offer...Thing is hte sidewinder will save me 200$+ for new short injs and if I decide down the road I want A/C , it's no prob. Think there would be any issues with the ATT on a sidewinder manifold instead of a 6.5 ? Also can the ATT be re Clocked(for lack of better term) ? The other issue would be needing a straight flange most likey. The ex shop will do the rest. Your kit probably wouldn't work, I'd have to fab the turbo to intake manifold as the sidewinder sits totally different.

I'm still leaning towards using a Banks sidewinder ex manifold then fabbing everything else. Dennis has anybody tried bolting an ATT to a sidewinder ? I may take you up on that offer...Thing is hte sidewinder will save me 200$+ for new short injs and if I decide down the road I want A/C , it's no prob. Think there would be any issues with the ATT on a sidewinder manifold instead of a 6.5 ? Also can the ATT be re Clocked(for lack of better term) ? The other issue would be needing a straight flange most likey. The ex shop will do the rest. Your kit probably wouldn't work, I'd have to fab the turbo to intake manifold as the sidewinder sits totally different.

I am wondering the same thing as far as an ATT on a banks manifold. I have an obs suburban and need to keep my A/C, thus need to run the banks manifold. I would like an ATT to make my roller rockers sing.

Isn't the ATT just a T4 flange, drilled for a T3? They have T3 to T4 adapter plates, and I'm sure you could make/get an adapter plate for the Banks exhaust manifold for under $100 :)

Here is some video of the A Team.

[video=youtube;K343JtELjbQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K343JtELjbQ[/video]

Upper intake Mod?

I have been contemplating the installation of the A Team Turbo I picked up from Ted (635) as well as the Peninsular Intake with additive plumbing courtesy of Diesel Depot and Turbo Tech. At issue with the Peninsular system is the need to tap not only for the boost and AIT gauges and future WMI but for the stock boost pressure and AIT sensors. Sorry but I don’t have a good photo of Ted’s set up. Jamie did the tapping on his lower intake for these items during the build as well as a couple of other taps that are plugged in anticipation of future usage.
I had the thought that rather than tap the lower intake for the stock sensors (I’m a coward and I don’t want to mess up my powder coated lower) what would be the drawback of having a one inch (or up to 1.5”) spacer, like what is used to elevate carburetors on street rods, fabricated and tapping that instead and would there be any negatives to this approach other than needing two gaskets and longer bolts? I don't think there would be any advantages such as the gassers get but then again...:hmmm:
Little help here Leroy?:idea:
This spawned a second line of thought about the ATT and Stock upper intake. is there a difference in how the two line up laterally as well as horizontally? If the difference is only horizontal, would raising the stock upper with a spacer as described earlier line things up? It would simplify the installation by not having to cut down the upper intake.
Standing by for some edumacation.

If you have the Peninsular 6.2 type intake for the 6.5 you would have completely different setup needing the use of elbows that can angle anyway.

With the stock upper plenum its both horizontal and vertically offset, but not very much, The turbo is maybe an inch forward and and inch up.

Are you concerned with tapping the Peninsular upper or the Stock Upper?

If you have the Peninsular 6.2 type intake for the 6.5 you would have completely different setup needing the use of elbows that can angle anyway.

With the stock upper plenum its both horizontal and vertically offset, but not very much, The turbo is maybe an inch forward and and inch up.

Are you concerned with tapping the Peninsular upper or the Stock Upper?

I am concerned about tapping the Stock Lower for use with the Peninsular Upper. Peninsular seems a little thin for the stock sensors to be tapped and threaded in to place. Specifically the AIT sensor.
Spacer idea was a means of avoiding tapping either the lower or the Peninsular.

Then the spacer idea grew into the "what if" idea for using the stock upper (already factory tapped plus my AIT and Boost Gauge senders) without having to cut off 6". It is the cutting off the stock upper that caused me to go with the Peninsular upper and the elbows I picked up from both Diesel Depot and Turbo Tech in the first place.

I was hoping that the spacer idea be a viable solution for the community as well as a cure for my angst. Never tapped before… I’m chicken…there, I said it. I’ll just practice on the POS EGR upper I still have laying around.

If, and I know this is sacrilege, I decide not to stick with the ATT and to revert to my GM-5, I have the option of continuing with the Peninsular or my stock upper (having not been cut down).

I would see if someone can just weld a bung on there for the IAT, thats what I am going to do for the IAT. On my peninsular intake there is a strip of thicker area on top of it that I am going to tap with 1/8" MPT to barb to route a hose to the boost sensor and my boost gauge and switches.

I would see if someone can just weld a bung on there for the IAT, thats what I am going to do for the IAT. On my peninsular intake there is a strip of thicker area on top of it that I am going to tap with 1/8" MPT to barb to route a hose to the boost sensor and my boost gauge and switches.

I have a 90 elbow off a cummins set up that has a single tap cast in to it for what ever I choose to put in there for the gauges, boost or AIT(sorry about the AIT thing guys) or even an input sorce for WMI later. I just didn't want to have a porcupine look to that upper.

Any drawbacks, other than fab frustrations with going with a spacer as described?

Absense of a negative = a positive!

The spacer would just make the boost build a touch slower I would think. No advantage as you may have with N/A or gasser, but I doubt it would be much of a dissadvantage if any either. You'd be increasing the volume of air the turbo would have to compress. Give it a shot if its easy fabbing for you.

i loved my a team turbo in my 95 crew cab with the auto but i had to sell it then i put it in my 93 with a manual injection pump turned up, man trans, high output injectors and it mad one hell of a tuck out of it... and i thought it could not ever get any better then what it was befor i put the turbo in it.... but on the down side the crank broke on it and took out the block,,, damn harmonic balncer went out on it..... but with 300,000 miles on it i dont know what i want to do with it.... so i might have alot of parts for sale in the near future... i dont want to give up on my truck but its about time... the 6.2 n 6.5 have been good to me ive had 2 6.2 and 3 6.5 and they were all good runners when i got done with them

I've heard folks asking if the A Team whistles and yes it does! Enjoy my latest movie! Not only does it whistle, it also roars, blows some coal, oh yeah, and eats F150's for lunch.

Thank you!

[video=youtube;EWIPhCKjXz8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWIPhCKjXz8[/video]

Back