• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A Team Turbo A Year Later

I've had mine in for 9 months and still am very pleased with it. The truck feels like weight was removed from it, it's more responsive and mpg went up by at least 1 on average. Pulling is where it really shines, egt's are also down.

Dennis put together a bolt in kit that really performs as claimed.:thumbsup:

Leo

NO, and I am not sure that there will be a ball bearing turbo yet, I may have to pay for an engineering change and I am not sure how much that will add to the turbo cost, I don't think the ball bearing option would add much more performance. There are other things that will add more power for a more reasonable cost, that is in the works :D, proto type is almost complete.

Now, a question about this item that is "in the works"..........Is it going to solve the sluggish low end? Ive been looking at buying the ATT for quite some time now, but my concern is the low end. I would really love to see more boost down low.

Not enough low end power is the biggest problem i see with my 96' towing truck. The truck has a 5spd manual with 4.10's. Even mainly stock, the truck has enough towing power once above 1800ish rpms (not as good as the ATT im sure but enough to do the job) But my low end is horrible...especially starting from a dead stop. Speed is not my objective with this truck, so im just wondering if I am best to use another turbo?

Now on a completely different note, ive been building up my 95' 1500 as more of a fun quick truck. But with 3.42 gearing ive noticed the same gutless low end power. I really dont see the point in buying another turbo that has the same lag as the GMX turbos. So for this application would I be better off using something different as well? Has anyone seen better low end results with other turbos??

I think TD's truck would surprise a stock LB7, might not beat it, but it would be in the same general vicinity.

I dunno about TD's truck, but me and one duramax truck ownew changed trucks for a while last weekend, I wasn't very impressed to power, but silverado is nice truck to drive anyway.. He told me if he hadn't bought that duramax he could buy 6,5 with mods...

Now, a question about this item that is "in the works"..........Is it going to solve the sluggish low end? Ive been looking at buying the ATT for quite some time now, but my concern is the low end. I would really love to see more boost down low.

Not enough low end power is the biggest problem i see with my 96' towing truck. The truck has a 5spd manual with 4.10's. Even mainly stock, the truck has enough towing power once above 1800ish rpms (not as good as the ATT im sure but enough to do the job) But my low end is horrible...especially starting from a dead stop. Speed is not my objective with this truck, so im just wondering if I am best to use another turbo?

Now on a completely different note, ive been building up my 95' 1500 as more of a fun quick truck. But with 3.42 gearing ive noticed the same gutless low end power. I really dont see the point in buying another turbo that has the same lag as the GMX turbos. So for this application would I be better off using something different as well? Has anyone seen better low end results with other turbos??

I think I was thinking like you were, thinking people talking about a tad of 'lag' I thought that was referring to off the line power.

I have heard from numerous ATT users, that off the line power and throttle response has increased. I originally was thinking this was bad for plowing too, I was thinking incorrectly. Most say there is MORE low speed GRUNT.

Anyone comment on this?

I think I was thinking like you were, thinking people talking about a tad of 'lag' I thought that was referring to off the line power.

I have heard from numerous ATT users, that off the line power and throttle response has increased. I originally was thinking this was bad for plowing too, I was thinking incorrectly. Most say there is MORE low speed GRUNT.

Anyone comment on this?

Mine feels better all around but I really don't drive it hard.

I also have the dreaded 'lag'! But, I'm looking forward to next month when I will get the new 'A' team turbo on my engine. Listening to every one else talk about how much more of an improvement it makes sounds great to me! When I first put the 19'5's on I had 225 tires on them, good low end grunt but too much highway speed rpms. I then put on a set of 265's and my rpm's came down and the turbo lag showed up. The new turbo will make the much needed difference, I'm sure.

Anyone comment on this?

Matt,
I just completed a round trip to Houston, Tx. and back, loaded out about 35,600lbs. gcvw and I'd experienced no lag what so ever. Off line power was consistant with throttle response, and no black smoke this time. I was able to run a steady 65 mph+ out on I-10...egt's settled in @ 1000 deg., and ITA's were between 185-192. Seems to me that the 'break-in' period for my ATT is over. I talked to Slim the other day and he told me that it will get better as time goes on ( performance ), that is. I'm seeing 'better than great' results from this turbo upgrade as egt's are leveling off and starting to come down and I saw a slight increase in fuel mileage. For the weight that I haul, thats :thumbsup: in my book.

Bucbuck,

That was one of the best responses I have read about the 'new' turbo. Especially rolling with that much weight!

Boost down low adds to stress levels on the lower end, the 6.5 has enough low end power to 1500 rpm to get most any load moving. Remove the back pressure and the 6.5 has a lot of low end grunt.

I have a 2500 with 4.10 gears and a five speed as well. The truck hauled a little over 28000 lbs GCVW with the load pictured in my garage. The A-Team Turbo with a TDC offset at -1.50 to - 1.94 runs well at lower rpm, There is no noticeable turbo lag.

Answered above

My impression is that it had a little more snap from a standing start with the stock gm turbo when empty. Mine now feels a little less quick down low, but upon reaching a speed where boost starts happening, then it seems to pick up on acceleration. This is however with the truck empty. Pulling a load, even without getting the instant boost, it feels quicker taking off with the ATT. Quicker than it was with the old turbo and loaded anyway. And I may have an intake leak somewhere, still haven't had time to pop the hood.

My impression is that it had a little more snap from a standing start with the stock gm turbo when empty. Mine now feels a little less quick down low, but upon reaching a speed where boost starts happening, then it seems to pick up on acceleration.

This is my one concern exactally. The one area that I would really like to see an increase in power...does not seem to be covered by the ATT. I have no doubt in my mind that it works excellent in the higher RPM range and while towing a load, im just wondering if there is a better option out there for more off the line power.

I guess it is kinda hard to say without driving a truck equiped with one already. Chances are I will end up buying one for my 96' 5spd which is primarily used for towing, and then decide if it is what I am looking for with my 1500. I really like the sounds of the kit and the results, so nice going guys!

I guess all together, the point of my post was to hear from users of the turbo, that it does indeed have a bit more low end grunt.

The A-Team Turbo by itself is not a cure all for our truck. The turbo on a stock truck with only a modified free flowing exhaust (no cat or baffled muffler) is going to make the truck run better and see increased fuel mileage and performance: boost will only get to a max of about 10 psi because of the fuel restriction, stock timing, TDC offset and PCM restrictions.

Set the TDC offset at -1.50 to -1.94 you get better low end power, Add a chip or reflashed PCM (Heath has one that is tweaked to this Turbo, Oregon Horse Tug is running it) and you get more fuel and a better fuel curve, the truck runs even better.

This can all be done in stages as the owner sees fit, I ran a stock chip in my 2500 five speed with a boost fooler (not a resistor) and a TDC offset of -1.94 for over a year. The truck ran better empty and loaded. The truck would run out of fuel at 100 MPH and show 100 percent fuel on the scanner. Boost was 9 to 10 psi max.

I got the Heath Hp-4 chip and my truck really came to life. I did this in stages because I am not made of money and couldn't afford the things I wanted. That is why the Turbo is priced the way it is, I don't make a killing just a little, so everyone can afford to get their truck running the way it should be.

:drool5:....Heath's GL4..........:yesnod: Slim, I think I need you to come up with some kind of mod that will help keep my foot off that right pedal! Say people, I've been there...life before the ATT, and I hope to tell ya...I won't ever look back. It was just an upgrade option that I couldn't pass up because I knew what I had up to that point. The factory gm8 did what it could, but in no way can it compare to what I have now with the ATT. The proof's in the pudding, and IMO; I am one step closer in NOT having to end up with 800.00/mo. payments for a new truck powered to do what I have BEEN doing......hauling big weight, period. Final word, I feel that my ATT has been more of a kind of 'strength adder' cause now I can move loads @ warp 9.65, were before it was more like 3/4 impulse...no joke. :D

Last edited:
Glad I dropped by. The ATT is incredible. Just like Dennis said it would wake up after everything brakes in. And man Oh man was he not kidding!!! With 4.10 gears I'm rociking a best average MPG of 18.2 on a week that was 99% all highway doing about 70. And towing is just incredible. I haven't towed huge weights, but man does she pick up speed. I still need to get my EGT gauge so I can actually see temps but thanks to the ATT I don't have to worry about it.

I really can't say thanks to Dennis , Turbine Doc,and there crew for all the great work they put into this thing. I'm damn proud of it!

I really wish i had the extra money for one..... All i really want it for is the power, i really dont tow anything, well i push a plow if that counts... If i can sell all the double stuff i have for a 6.5 maybe i can buy one this winter....

Glad I dropped by. The ATT is incredible. Just like Dennis said it would wake up after everything brakes in. And man Oh man was he not kidding!!! With 4.10 gears I'm rociking a best average MPG of 18.2 on a week that was 99% all highway doing about 70. And towing is just incredible. I haven't towed huge weights, but man does she pick up speed. I still need to get my EGT gauge so I can actually see temps but thanks to the ATT I don't have to worry about it.

I really can't say thanks to Dennis , Turbine Doc,and there crew for all the great work they put into this thing. I'm damn proud of it!

You should reconsider thanking them. I think they've done a great job, and deserve it. :nono:Next year I'll be joining the club...

You should reconsider thanking them. I think they've done a great job, and deserve it. :nono:Next year I'll be joining the club...

Matt,
I'm sure he meant " I really can't say thanks enough.....:D By next year, we can't wait that long!: smile5:

Matt,
I'm sure he meant " I really can't say thanks enough.....:D By next year, we can't wait that long!: smile5:

I know he meant that :)

Hey, after 3 years of riggin I finally got my 4" exhaust!!! Slow n Steady wins the race my friend! 45,000 on the clock with my dunce behind the wheel!

Man, I can't say enough good things about my ATT! I took a load up to Shreveport, La., from Houma, La., yesterday and boy........was this one heavy!:sifone::driving:

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 50
Back