• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A Team Turbo A Year Later

That's 2800lbs., real lite compared to what I usually haul. But, I will say this, ( Matt, no comments:rolleyes5:) since the ATT install....I do alot of left lane passing, instead of being passed by someone on the left :reporter: " excuse me mister; is that a 454 you got under that hood? Story @ 11....):h Hey, if anyone runs into that dodge who thought I was a joke in the hammer lane yesterday....ask him what happened to him when a I bumped the throttle alittle: :slomo::wave: then :eek:hmy1: My rig's no joke my friend!

Last edited:
Ian ran 'nitrous' and 'pane' along with water/meth to make 303hp and drove the many hundreds of miles back to Ellensburg. He also got about a 7 mile per gallon increase with propane injection and close to 2 miles per gallin increase with the water injection. The nitrouse was for the fun stuff!

That's 2800lbs., real lite compared to what I usually haul. But, I will say this, ( Matt, no comments:rolleyes5:) since the ATT install....I do alot of left lane passing, instead of being passed by someone on the left :reporter: " excuse me mister; is that a 454 you got under that hood? Story @ 11....):h Hey, if anyone runs into that dodge who thought I was a joke in the hammer lane yesterday....ask him what happened to him when a I bumped the throttle alittle: :slomo::wave: then :eek:hmy1: My rig's no joke my friend!

Sounds like you got a little more Umph now... :devil: :biggrinjester:

But it would be one hell of a ride. ):h

What'd ya figure 5 maybe 550 for she lets go??? :Justwait2:

Ian ran 'nitrous' and 'pane' along with water/meth to make 303hp and drove the many hundreds of miles back to Ellensburg. He also got about a 7 mile per gallon increase with propane injection and close to 2 miles per gallin increase with the water injection. The nitrouse was for the fun stuff!

Wonder what kind of improvements the ATT would add to the mix??

Lately I have noticed my air filter guage has been orange indicating a restricted filter. I have a fairly new filter and the stock 98 air box. Has anyone seen Heaths new setup, is it available?

Just asking for clarity... Is that running running the propane and h2o separate or simultaneously?

Also how much propane did he use on a tank of fuel? I just paid $20 to fill up my 5 gal tank for my BBQ, so if it used 5 gal of propane per tank of diesel is it really saving on mpg. I guess the best way to calculate it would be $ per Mile ($PM) vs MPG. Just thinking out loud!!!!!!

Propane adds some MPG, did for me too, but its not really a money savings, but you get more power with the fuel savings. While towing it may make a large difference to save money too. I ran the water and pane simultaneously. I was kind of hoping the water would retard the ignition slightly even though I have it advanced and also prevent pre ignition in the precombustion chamber. I also have the ATT, and I saw maybe 23-24 MPG on an interstate drive, not that great considering non turbo 6.2s can get 25MPG plus without mods, but it was a few more MPG than I would normally get driving 80MPH for a 1000 miles.

The acid test for my truck

Finally getting settled back from Burning Man this year. It's the annual heavy pull for me and I'm working on getting some details out for you guys when I get more caught up. In the mean time here are some off the top results with my ATT, Heath GLE-S, and other standard mods as listed in my sig.

Out bound weight 19,450 GCW, return weight 17,400, Portland, OR to the Black Rock Desert in northern Nevada. Three mountain passes; sea level to 5100' (Willamette Pass), Aluras, CA, 4370' over Cedarville pass 6300', down to Cedar valley, about 4600' and back over the last hill at ~5900' to the dry lake bed at 4000'; and back, about 1000 miles round trip. Mostly flat until you get close to the hills and then it's 5-6% and 20 mph corners. Outside air temps 80-95*F.

The truck did great. Fuel burn for the trip averaged 11.3 mpg and nearly no issues. My first trip with the truck two years ago was about 9-1/2 mpg and a lot more trouble with overheating not to mention crawling 8mph up those passes. This time the only thing holding my right foot back was EGTs pushing over 1200. Water Mist Injection is all it needs now.

Pulling over 19k up those hills was the first time I was able to get my IAT over 250 with the ATT. When I was running the GM8 I could do that on a freeway on ramp. I still never pegged it at 300 since I was making a conscious effort to limit EGT. I figured I should have done the WMI before I left but too many things to do and too little time.

More later when I get a chance to distill some of the data. This turbo rocks and combined with a reflash like Heath's there is no better bang for the buck. I do this in a very comfortable Silverado (okay, the 4" pipe is a bit loud at full chat) and I have way less than $$10k total wrapped up in this rig.:thumbsup: The horse trailer cost us twice what I've got in the truck!:eek:

Mike

Sounds like withe the att and water injection the 6.5 will pull right along anyone else. Once I get my rig back on the road I may have to invest in one. Driving 8mph because of egt doesnt sound fun.

Since I can manualy lock the torque converter on my rig with the att that sould really help with fuel mileage.

Sounds like withe the att and water injection the 6.5 will pull right along anyone else. Once I get my rig back on the road I may have to invest in one. Driving 8mph because of egt doesnt sound fun.

Since I can manualy lock the torque converter on my rig with the att that sould really help with fuel mileage.

Yeah, the water injection is only needed on the hills. Rolling down the level freeway at 65-70 the IAT was running a perfect 150. My slow speed this year was 20 mph limited by EGT, the 8mph was before ATT and was foot to the floor, mostly limited by the stock program defueling from IAT too high.

I have the BD TorqLoc TCC lockup unit. It doesn't do any good below 40 mph and will make the tranny go into limp mode of you keep it locked in second gear. You don't want those kind of shifts when you're rolling at this kind of weight.

Yeah, the water injection is only needed on the hills. Rolling down the level freeway at 65-70 the IAT was running a perfect 150. My slow speed this year was 20 mph limited by EGT, the 8mph was before ATT and was foot to the floor, mostly limited by the stock program defueling from IAT too high.

I have the BD TorqLoc TCC lockup unit. It doesn't do any good below 40 mph and will make the tranny go into limp mode of you keep it locked in second gear. You don't want those kind of shifts when you're rolling at this kind of weight.

Thats why I like the mechanical injection.

I dont think the obd1 transmission will go into a limp mode with the torque converter locked in 2nd.

Lately I have noticed my air filter guage has been orange indicating a restricted filter. I have a fairly new filter and the stock 98 air box. Has anyone seen Heaths new setup, is it available?

I saw a sneek peek and I didn't think it was an improvemet over what you and I already have. I'm not hammering the guy, I just didn't see an improvement over what we already are using.

I saw a sneek peek and I didn't think it was an improvemet over what you and I already have. I'm not hammering the guy, I just didn't see an improvement over what we already are using.

I am thinking the stock system can't supply enough air to the turbo now.

I am thinking the stock system can't supply enough air to the turbo now.

Damn that's a good point, I hadn't thought of it that way. Wish someone could make a fully external filter housing like on a heavy commercial or HMMWV, without it looking too retarded. I've thought so many times about different ways to get more outside air. I've wanted to open the entire fender side of my airbox, seal it to the fender with a corresponding hole in the inside of the fender, then maybe cut in a small scoop somewhere on the outside of the fender. But I don't know enough about aerodynamics to figure out if I'd be doing any good, or just pressurizing the inside of the fender, or what.
I was going to try to design a filter housing to sit in an old Trans Am shaker hood scoop, but it would probably mean using a flat panel type filter and probably losing a ton of filter area and flow potential. Plus, placement would be critical, I know the ram air effect worked on the old Pontiacs, but they probably had some airflow research that indicated the exact location for that rear facing scoop to be.
Anyway, I'm just rambling.

Propane milage

Just asking for clarity... Is that running running the propane and h2o separate or simultaneously?

Also how much propane did he use on a tank of fuel? I just paid $20 to fill up my 5 gal tank for my BBQ, so if it used 5 gal of propane per tank of diesel is it really saving on mpg. I guess the best way to calculate it would be $ per Mile ($PM) vs MPG. Just thinking out loud!!!!!!

Go to the older Maxxtorque articles, fall 2008 for one. The milage with and with out propane in in one and the same with water mist injection in another.

I will be running both together but I needed a few more miles on the engine.

All I now now is I got the worst milage possible coming from Ellensburg to Bonneville, just a little over 12 with straight diesel. But I was pulling a small trailer with a ramp on it that looks like a sail! Next month the additions "WILL" be installed!

Back