• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A Team Turbo A Year Later

Turbine Doc

Just Another Diesel Guy
Reaction score
Well I've been running mine just over a year, http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?2015and am loving it still, question to all the 6.5ers running one as well, like it or having regrets.

Slim & I hooked up this past weekend he got to ride in my rig; as did Deere3594, & Wrecker. Slim asked me if I had ever heard anything in PMs about the turbo from folks that have installed one on their trucks, and actually no I haven't heard anything one way or another.

So here is your chance to report out, likes-dislikes, any improvements you think it needs, I've been bugging him for a ball bearing configuration & ceramic coating as a performance minded offering for the guy that wants a little more oomph out of it, not that it needs it.

For most guys "base model" will provide all air/boost one would ever need, but as Slim can attest, I'm a junkie for mods on the truck, mine has about every bolt on mod out there for the 6.5, so only natural I'd want a ball bearing turbo on it.

But rather than hear about it again from me, what are your thoughts after installing it, are you seeing the mpg gains, how long has yours been on, running stock or aftermarket program, any post turbo cooling, EGTs better or worse?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Tim and I traded trucks for a few minutes one day...and I can attest to the oomph that his truck has...that has to be one of the quickest 6.5's around...

I'm just glad dura-ration was riding with him in my truck...that blind spot could have been ugly... ;)

I like mine, but I might be biased. I would not want to go back to a gm anything turbo, my truck runs much smoother has more get up and I can pass something on the highway, other than peopel passing me. :eek:

This weekend was the big test, towed the big camper up to the mountains. First couple of small hills I was impressed, first pretty big hill I was extremely impressed, I took a hill from a dead stop at the bottom got up to 45-50 and held it there. I stayed in the right lane but nobody got by me. I was actually laughing out loud. But I was a little less impressed on the biggest hill, it didn't exactly fall on it's face, but it seemed to be stuck in 4th at only 2200 rpm. Couldn't downshift to get more rpm without slowing up, so I stayed at about 40-45 at 2200-ish. Next big hill I tried keeping it in third, but it was the same speed with more rpm. (all my mph numbers are estimated, my speedo is off.) This is still an improvement over the old turbo, because I'd have been going about 35 and worried about cooking the motor. But I was really hoping to blow right up and over the hills with little effort. Just seems like I can't get rpms and can't get much boost, maxed at like 7 psi, but normally even on hard pull I was only seeing about 5.
Forgot to mention, the first big pull where I started from a stopsign dead stop, the temp got up to 235 and skeert me pretty good. It came right back down after letting up though. I had just added a bottle of redline water-wetter. The other big hills I only saw 210-215, I cranked the heat to try and help it out.

Took a different route home, lots of small sharp hills, but only one long uphill highway climb. Held 52 mph according to wife behind me, which was pretty good. On the other hills it was very impressive as long as I saw it coming and got enough of a run at it to get into the right gear. Still got a tremendous amount of black smoke under quick acceleration. Standing stops pulling out into traffic on level ground is vastly improved. Vastly.
Overall I'd guess maybe a 15-20% improvement over stock turbo. Driving empty it's slower from a stop, but loaded it's faster taking off.
All that's left I guess is to time it and save up for the Heath ECM. Don't know of anything else I can do to get more out of it.

Well Tim and I traded trucks for a few minutes one day...and I can attest to the oomph that his truck has...that has to be one of the quickest 6.5's around...

I'm just glad dura-ration was riding with him in my truck...that blind spot could have been ugly... ;)

I think that might even beat my wife's 04 GTP its that quick!

Simply The Best!!!

Hello all,
First time poster....just ordered and installed my A-Team Turbo last week and I have to say :D:D:D . Pulling a 40Ft. flatbed gooseneck trailer (18,860lbs. empty weight ) I am a true heavy hauler, and with my old gm 8 setup sometimes I would reach a top speed of 52 mph loaded out @ 34,000lbs gcvw. ( no small feat in it's self ) Understand me, I load heavy everyday , and it was all I could do to get from point A to B sometimes. Never had any overheating issues, just towing power issues and I thought it was time for a truck upgrade. But, by fate, I chance to find this site; and low and behold....a super turbo upgrade. I took a chance, based on tons of good info, not so common sense and true grit....I am very impressed.:D

Hello all,
First time poster....just ordered and installed my A-Team Turbo last week and I have to say :D:D:D . Pulling a 40Ft. flatbed gooseneck trailer (18,860lbs. empty weight ) I am a true heavy hauler, and with my old gm 8 setup sometimes I would reach a top speed of 52 mph loaded out @ 34,000lbs gcvw. ( no small feat in it's self ) Understand me, I load heavy everyday , and it was all I could do to get from point A to B sometimes. Never had any overheating issues, just towing power issues and I thought it was time for a truck upgrade. But, by fate, I chance to find this site; and low and behold....a super turbo upgrade. I took a chance, based on tons of good info, not so common sense and true grit....I am very impressed.:D

:thumbsup: Have a bigger pic of your avatar? :D

I've had mine mounted a few months now and love it. I got a 10% fuel mileage improvement even before the vacuum pump came off. I need gauges to tell the rest but I'm very happy and would never go back to a GM turbo.

I think I know where he got the turbo! Glad to hear it's up and running. Well done.

Thanks for the business. I think you folks without a chip would be blown away by how much it helps.

Patrick

I think I know where he got the turbo! Glad to hear it's up and running. Well done.

Thanks for the business. I think you folks without a chip would be blown away by how much it helps.

Patrick

So, you do remember....Great product!!! I'll get around to posting a little more info on the 2 loads I've pulled so far, but you know.I gotta tell ya..:D:D:D:thumbsup:

ill volunteer to be test for the ball bearing A Team Turbo. ive never ridden in a truck with a att but it seems like it really helps. but always like more power

ill volunteer to be test for the ball bearing A Team Turbo. ive never ridden in a truck with a att but it seems like it really helps. but always like more power

Get in line homey Slim hasn't built one for me yet :D.

Seriously though since I have data collected on mine any modifications from current configurations we will want to do on the same truck to notice the change to keep the baseline data as close to the other testing completed thus far.

i totally understand and in a stock truck a modded att would probably not be much of a difference from a base att but in a year i will definetly be wanting to get a modded att if you guys had got one up yet.

I have had discussions with my manufacturer about a ball bearing turbo. We will see. other things are in the works as well that may enhance our performance. We are not done yet.:D

Back