• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A Team Turbo A Year Later

The ATT may not have "LAG" but it builds boost slower, because it flows more exhaust around the compressor than the GMX. So it take a slightly higher fuel input and RPM to achieve the exhaust volume and velocity to get it spinning to see an appreciable amount of boost. This is common to larger compressors designed to be most efficient at higher boost levels and RPM. Some people solve this by running a dual inline, "compound", turbo with one small turbine and one large turbine, or one lower RPM supercharger and a high RPM efficient turbo.

In stock and my engh tune the fuel table has a large spike around idle when you step on it, and then dips significantly before climbing in fuel rate. Heath actually lowers that initial spike and builds fuel output faster after. I have been modifiying my fuel output table and got rid of the most of the thick puff of black smoke when I step on it from a stop.

The IC creates LAG just because the intake is further from the compressor and some restriction. Unless you really like off the line performance its not big deal, just like with ATT its nothing big. You can advance timing until its annoying to start and rattles, to get off the line performance from the engine.

So a 6.2 with a DB2 may not put out enough fuel to properly spool the ATT ?

If it were me doing it I would first invest in a 4 plunger marine pump that has been tuned up a little before going with a larger turbo. That way your bottom end power doesn't fall short on you.

Aces I have guys running the DB2 pumps with an A-Team Turbo and they report that the trucks run strong. The DB pumps put out a straight linear fuel curve when the pedal is mashed you have full fuel. Not like a DS pump that meters the fuel.

There are some differences To the A-Team Turbo, it is not your average turbo, The turbo is designed to have grunt from the start, it just is not designed to give big boost at low 1000 to 1200 rpm like the gm 8. People equate boost to a turbos potential for power, boost alone does not make power.

Everyone that has an A-Team Turbo has been happy, people get used to the way the gm turbos feel then judge performance based on a turbo that is designed to small so it has lots of low rpm boost, hence the waste gate. The A-Team Turbo makes our trucks run the way they should have run from the factory.

Aces I have guys running the DB2 pumps with an A-Team Turbo and they report that the trucks run strong. The DB pumps put out a straight linear fuel curve when the pedal is mashed you have full fuel. Not like a DS pump that meters the fuel.

There are some differences To the A-Team Turbo, it is not your average turbo, The turbo is designed to have grunt from the start, it just is not designed to give big boost at low 1000 to 1200 rpm like the gm 8. People equate boost to a turbos potential for power, boost alone does not make power.

Everyone that has an A-Team Turbo has been happy, people get used to the way the gm turbos feel then judge performance based on a turbo that is designed to small so it has lots of low rpm boost, hence the waste gate. The A-Team Turbo makes our trucks run the way they should have run from the factory.

Slim makes a good point. You may loose that low end power to some degree but it will make up for it in the mid to upper power ranges. All in all I find the turbo to be a great investment for any 6.5 owner.

Well that's what I'm trying to figure out because my CUCV is not a highway rig. Top speed even with the 35's is about 65. I could push 70 but I wouldn't do it for long so I'm trying to figure out what turbo setupp will give me the best power for the truck. It will be used more for local driving and off road abuse...I mean firewood....:D
Sorry to ask so many questions but this truck is not a typical app and I had a long talk with Peninsular diesel about the DB4 cause I've been drooling over it ever since I've heard of it but they advised against it.They told me they carry a few differerent DB2's that will rpovide more thaan enough fuel and that the DB4 is very "finicky" and more designed for a marine application where throttle doesn't vary as much. Of course he alos told me a turbo would could melt the pistons on a 6.2 but acknowledged alot of people run them. He warned me about how much fuel and boost to run on stock pistons. I'm probably looking for more bottom end but from what I have read I want to stay low on the PSI with boost cause the 6.2 can't handle much more than 7-8 psi ???

Is anybody running an ATT that does offroading and low speed pulling ? Basically right now if i Load the truck heavy with firewood and get on the highway to come home it's a dog on the hills . even empty a bit of a dog on the hills. It actually got better believe it or not with the bigger tires.

635 has one on the the project 350hp truck we are working on. This truck is a work truck used in the woods and long haul pulling. In about a month he would be the guy to talk to. The truck will also be featured in a few different diesel magazines, so you should have plenty of info to work off of and make a sound choice.

Is anybody running an ATT that does offroading and low speed pulling ? Basically right now if i Load the truck heavy with firewood and get on the highway to come home it's a dog on the hills . even empty a bit of a dog on the hills. It actually got better believe it or not with the bigger tires.

The problem is the 6.2 has such high compression you cant run much boost. For low rpms I would think a banks sidewinder would be best.

Yeah I hesistated when there were a few used ones for sale. it's 2500$ new and I don't think thier ex is all that special. I defintely would not used that airhat setup when an F intake is readily availible.

For $2500 you could find a mechanical 6.5 turbo to drop in and and still have plenty of money for other projects.

The problem is the 6.2 has such high compression you cant run much boost. For low rpms I would think a banks sidewinder would be best.

Another issue to running high boost with 6.2L head is that you have larger valves which is great for air flow but bad in that it makes the head casting weaker and more suseptable to cracking. If you want to run a turbo and higher boost I would strap on a set of 6.5L heads as well.

Another issue to running high boost with 6.2L head is that you have larger valves which is great for air flow but bad in that it makes the head casting weaker and more suseptable to cracking. If you want to run a turbo and higher boost I would strap on a set of 6.5L heads as well.

Are 6.5 NA heads the same as 6.2 heads?

What is considered high boost? what a stock GM charger puts out is ok right?

Banks used a TO 6 housing and different compressor wheel, Aces build depends on engine RPM NOT speed of the truck. If Aces has a 3.73 or 4.10 or lower final drive ratio then using the A-Team turbo and using the rpm range his engine will be working in is perfect for what he wants to do.

If Aces is running a set of 38 inch tires and has a final drive ratio of 3.42 or higher then the A-team Turbo may not give him the low rpm 1000 to 1300 rpm power he would need to pull heavy and fast off the line. Most rock crawler guys like the turbo because they use lower gears and have a little rpm to give them power,

The only engine that uses low rpm and high boost is the big displacement motors which are industrial or stationary motors, many agricultural or industrial motors (big mining equipment included) use low rpm 1000 to 1300 to actually work their motor.

Don't get me wrong, the A-Team Turbo is not the best turbo for racing zero to sixty rimes, but for most other applications it was designed to run in the rpm range and above that the 6.5 can handle and do it efficiently. The turbo does not cure sick engines or fuel systems, on a properly running 6.5 with a stock program and a free flowing exhaust (needed, a must have before the turbo) the turbo will improve your 6.5's performance and fuel economy, add the extra mods chips, feed the beast, anything else and you should be able to build a 6.5 that will pull more than you need or legaly can.

I use mine for strictly pulling and traveling and am very happy with my truck, I pulled a combined weight of 27,800 Lbs. truck and load for 1000 miles and got 11 mpg filling the fuel neck to the very lip of the filler tube every time to get a consistent mile per gallon reading, That sold me. I know a member here BuckBuck hauls heavy and reported that his mileage went up also, efficiency and performance go hand in hand then at a certain point they part ways

The A-Team is not the perfect turbo, but covers enough ground that it should suffice for most 6.5 owners. Maybe not the sixty foot time guys but after that hold onto your rear cause the more fuel you give it the more your going to like it. Keep your foot out of it and you can get some decent fuel economy, dam close to having the best of both worlds, ):h

What is considered high boost? what a stock GM charger puts out is ok right?

Yes, factory GM-4 and GM-8 boost of around 5 to 9psi would not put to much pressure on the heads but it can weaken the 6.2L head gaskets. If you are running factory 6.2 gaskets you might want to update them to 6.5 turbo gaskets. The 6.2 ones don't have the ability to handle the boost pressure like the 6.5 gaskets do.

The first Banks Sidewinder kits for the GM 6.2 & IH/Ford 6.9 & 7.3 IDI's used a non-wastegated T3/T4 hybrid sourced from either Rotomaster or Switzer. It was a TO4B25. The Banks logo was cast on the side of the turbine housing. A/R was around 1.0. Might well have been a proprietary turbine housing as there aren't many T3 flanged turbines with an A/R (1.0) that loose.

Later, when Banks went to wastegated turbo's on these kits, the Humvee 6.2 kits & IH 6.9/7.3 kits I've seen were Mistu TE06H-25C turbos.

OK so the ATT not being wastegated, could it produce more boost than a 6.2 can handle since there is no waste gate to adjust ? The bad thing about trying to use a GMx is the downpipe adapter points the wrong way . It would be better if it went straight out from what I can see.

Back