• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5L TD Motorhome repair/repower

I feel for you. Especially because this is supposed to be the stress reliever. Too funny about a fire fighter and the torching!

Do you have to smog it? If not then rip the frigging ds4 out and throw it as far as you can along with the pmd problems. Db2 lasts longer,and breaks down once, then its time for a new one. No guessing no headaches, no accidental full throttle episodes.

Seriously hope it gets better soon.

The shop called at the end of the day to tell me that it wasn't ready. They had to order a new pressure switch for the AC. I thought all that was replaced when they replaced everything else on the AC, but new parts can fail too I guess.

The cruise didn't work because they said the brake light switch was out of adjustment. Why now all of a sudden?

One of the brake calipers hung up causing the overheated brake issue. Again, when the did the brake job didn't they replace the 15 year old calipers, re surface the rotors and replace the brake line hoses? Apparently they only put in new pads.

So now wait some more.

I'm thinking of getting a large JEEP logo to put on my motorhome. Just Empty Every Pocket or BOAT, Bring On Another Thousand

You need a BOAT to tow behind it and RV camp at a lake... Like a 454 Jet boat or similar gas guzzler BOAT. This way it can at least go through fuel fast enough between breakdowns to keep it fresh! :D

Again ask them to make sure the AC clutch diode is directly connected to the clutch coil where the pressure switch isn't interrupting the diode. If the switch opens and the diode isn't on the coil it will arc the switch like a spark plug. When I converted mine to R134A they require a high pressure cut out switch in the rear of the R4 compressor. The diode is a white thing 12" back from the compressor in the wiring harness - well I cut the wire close to the clutch for the 'new' switch plug. I assumed the diode was in the compressor plug or coil. WRONG!

Sadly even new car GM factory AC switches fail and leak often. :banghead:

Sadly even new car GM factory AC switches fail and leak often. :banghead:
They ALL fail and leak often, it is just the nature of the beast. Gm DID learn there lesson starting with the GMT-800 body style, and made the low pressure switch control the A/C clutch relay instead of it directly controlling the clutch.

No new news on any repairs yet.

But, I did finally get a chance to see what started this whole repower project. It wasn't a displaced button, it was a broken rocker shaft.

broken rocker shaft.jpg

Makes me think a support could be made for those outside rockers. Never seen that before though so probably not a problem.

Carnage thread time! Are you rebuilding the engine for another ride?

Even the 6.5 I tore down made "Z's" out of the #8 push rods with a piston seized at TDC so this is an unusual fatigue failure. Perhaps a flaw on the tube where it broke?

Update. They say that the motorhome is ready to pick up today, although I won't have time to do so until Monday.

They say I owe them $1700 for parts and $1900 for labor, of which they will eat half (labor). All for a brake job that I had on my original punch list. (it seems all they did was replace the pads the first time)

I suggested they eat all the labor. Mostly for all the difficulties we've had since it wasn't done on time and the return trips for repairs.

I'm waiting for a response, yet.

Unforunately, a "brake job" any more only consists of installing new pads. Forget checking disc runout or warpage, let alone turning the rotors, as included in a standard "brake job". Gone are the days of removing and disassembling a caliper, honing it, installing a new piston seal and boot and repacing the slide hardware as part of a "brake job". They're more like hand jobs nowadays.

Here was their response:

"We will see you on Monday. I will talk to Pat on the labor. As always ABC wants to have the customer happy in the end. I am sure we will be able to work this out on our end"

Here are some pictures of the project.

Turbo blanket

turbo blanket.jpg

FFM custom bracket I made to relocate it because of the turbo location. There's a pair, left and right.

ffm bracket.jpg

Boost sensor bracket on custom upper intake.

boost sensor.jpg

Engine bay.

engine bay.jpg

Oil cooler lines and wrapped header.

oil lines.jpg

A header flange I had welded on before the exhaust transitioned 3 1/2 to 4in for easier maintenance.

header flange.jpg

4in exhaust to the back.

exhust pipe.jpg

5in SS tip

tip.jpg

1 of four new brake calipers and lines $$$

brake caliper.jpg

Is their insulation on the 'cold side' of the turbo on the doghouse cover? It can see 300+ degrees.

Glad to see the old "trombone" exhaust routing with the 3" pipe is a thing of the past! War Wagon has a point, that does look a bit close to the carpeting, would hate to read the saga of the smoking doghouse and how our vacation ended with the motorhome burning on the shoulder of the highway.

Back