• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5L TD Motorhome repair/repower

We finally get to see a bigger pic of the motorhome. Looks very worthy of the project, pretty darn clean!

It only had 67,000 on it when I bought it, now has 88,000.

hopefully they didn't use gaskets when they did the manifolds, did they?

Yes they did. They were installed at penninsular with RTV, but when they were removed to have the welds touched up, that all came off. The engine was installed without the headers because of the space needed to get it up through the bottom. They used gaskets when they reinstalled them.

The gaskets could be the problem, but remember I don't have OEM exhaust manifolds, if that makes a difference?
header 1.jpg

I took it for a 90+ mile test drive last Thursday, then returned it so they could re torque the exhaust bolts. They were also looking for the source of the oil leak on the top of the engine. During the search the also found a coolant leak that as of last word, didn't know the source of that yet either.

The exhaust manifold gaskets are only used when a face to face seal didn't work from my experience. The way your manifolds are built being completely separate mount surfaces- only a guess. I would still try them bare first.

I visited the shop today to see what they found so far. They found the oil leak. The nuts on the IP worked loose causing it to leak around the gasket. (I think too many cooks in the kitchen) That has to be one of the worst places (on the top of the engine) to be leaking. I'm not sure how they are going to get at the pump gear bolts on the front? I guess it's not my problem, except it being in the shop instead in a campground somewhere.

They also have air pressure on the cooling system to find that leak too.

I went back to the shop to take them spare gaskets I had, so they don't have to wait to order them. I found out that it really wasn't so much loose mounting nuts as it was the gasket had been torn when they initially installed the IP, so just tightening it wouldn't have solved the issue. They were talking about making sure they put gasket sealer on it, but I told them not to. If they did that I would have a hard time adjusting the timing in the future. Besides, I told them that I've never had one leak or come loose when I've changed IPs.

I picked up the RV yesterday while waiting to have new tires mounted on my K3500 (in my sig).

Kind of off topic, but just have to rant a little.
On Friday I drove the truck to the Ford dealer to order tires (they had a special going on). On the way back I stopped at the auto parts store to pick up a new headlight bulb for the car. They were having a promotion and were busy setting up for it. Just as I was about to leave, the wind picked up causing their tents to take flight, along with the heavy metal plates the were supposed to hold them down. I had my door open already when I saw them coming, so I dove into my cab so I won't get hit. I survived, but the estimate for the damage to my truck is $4300.

truck scratch 5.jpg truck scratch 3.jpg truck scratch 1.jpg

After I had the tires mounted, I did a walk around and noticed the beauty rings on the rear duals were on the inside between the wheels. I pointed it out to the service advisor and said I'd be back in the morning to have it fixed. When I went back to have them put on correctly. The service advisor said he had mentioned it to the tech and he said that's the way they were when it came in. I quickly brought up a picture on my phone, proving that wrong. They were fixed.

Back to the RV.

The RV mechanic ended up having to pull the fan, water pump and related parts so he could get at the timing gear bolts from underneath. It was the only way to reach them. He also found the coolant leak. It was some bolts that hadn't been tightened properly on the front/top of the engine. He also replaced the exhaust gaskets and properly torqued the bolts.

I'm hoping this will be it until it needs normal maintenance.

As I read all the issues I've had, then put it into perspective with life in general, it all could be worse.

I'm drawing a blank on "TTM"?

I have so many things to mount yet, I don't know if I'll get it all done before winter. Water/meth injection hooked up, intercooler installed, finish mounting the gauges and that Raptor fuel pump still sitting in the box.

We took the motorhome on a small camping trip on Labor Day weekend and visited 3 breweries. Put on 450 miles and didn't have any issues at all. I still need to pull the dog house cover to make sure everything is still tight and not leaking.

They replaced the IP gasket, the exhaust gaskets and replaced the missing header bolts. They also found the coolant leak on the front/top of the engine. Apparently someone didn't properly torque some bolts.

Back