• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5L TD Motorhome repair/repower

In the 700 miles I've driven it, there hasn't been a problem with heat on the cold side. But, because of that thought myself and in case of other issues, I haven't securely fastened the doghouse cover down yet.

Yes, that thin strip will be so cool you could put your hand on it w/o burns even if it was on the exhaust side.

:facepalm: Maybe it's because of all the door handles I burn myself on all the time in our heat... But seriously I work around the wrapped turbo and wrapped down pipe of mine with the engine running. The AC low side service connection between the air filter and down pipe is the worst. Wrapped it's like a hot blanket rather than a searing hot grille.

:facepalm: Maybe it's because of all the door handles I burn myself on all the time in our heat... But seriously I work around the wrapped turbo and wrapped down pipe of mine with the engine running. The AC low side service connection between the air filter and down pipe is the worst. Wrapped it's like a hot blanket rather than a searing hot grille.

Yeah, i can relate...

As long as the floor carpeting stays on the outside of the doghouse when it's bolted down you should be fine, Jody. A layer of reflectix or such on the compartment side of the doghouse would definitely help, too. My concern is/was strands of the floor carpeting hanging out from, or trapped, under the edge of the doghouse and into the compartment anywhere near the turbo/exhaust. Many of those synthetics have fairly low melting points as you well know.

We are on a road trip. Almost all is going well. (More details later, but nothing I can't overcome)

Interesting though is the fuel milage. The best fill up yielded 11.4mpg and the worst because were stuck in traffic was 9.4mpg.

I got the boost and EGT gauges hooked up to. Max boost is 26the psi and the temps run around 900-1000, but spike at 1200the up a hill. I'll have to get my water/meth injection hooked up soon and set it to come on at 10psi boost.

More later.

We are on a road trip. Almost all is going well. (More details later, but nothing I can't overcome)

Interesting though is the fuel milage. The best fill up yielded 11.4mpg and the worst because were stuck in traffic was 9.4mpg.

I got the boost and EGT gauges hooked up to. Max boost is 26the psi and the temps run around 900-1000, but spike at 1200the up a hill. I'll have to get my water/meth injection hooked up soon and set it to come on at 10psi boost.

More later.
IIRC, we got right at 10 mpg on the drive back from Reno with it, Jody, towing the Aveo and climbing at altitide through Wyoming on I-80. If indeed the Hwy mpg is up 1.4 mpg, then that 14% increase in efficiency/mileage is quite an achievement over the old motor and tranny combo and extends your range by another 60 miles per tank.

The motorhome is back in the shop after our road trip.

The gauges and dash lights wouldn't work when I turned on the headlights. That was a challenge one night when we had to drive during a thunder storm.

We had brake issues one day in stop and go traffic, but it went away after we stopped to cool it down and never appeared again. I had to push the pedal nearly to the floor to stop and the "Brake" on the dash came on.

One day after a driving break, I went to start up and the batteries were dead. I used the switch that connects the camper batteries to the engine batteries to start it every time I would shut it off the rest of the day. That evening in camp, after it cooled down (2.5 beers). I removed the dog house cover to check the connections to the alternator. All seemed fine to me. I also checked the battery connections along with the fluid level. I was able to tighten the battery cables ever so slightly. In the morning, it started fine and has ever since.

At home I was preparing to change oil and noticed oil drips hanging from the bottom of the engine and other parts. Oil splatter was on the whole underside of the motorhome and on the front of my car dolly. The oil level never really went down much on the road trip, but it doesn't take much of a leak to make a mess.

While I was under there, I was looking to see if I could determine where the oil was coming from and noticed one of the GPs wasn't connected. I could only get a clear view of the one, so I'm not sure how many weren't connected. (maybe that was the cause of the white smoke for a few seconds at start up when cold?) I also saw a couple loose exhaust manifold bolts and some were missing too.

So back to the shop.

On the trip, I noticed the on long hills the engine temp would rise to 210 and the EGT would climb to 1200+. My best mpg was 11.9 and the worst was 9. I found that I would get the best mpg at around 55 mph and boost below 10psi.

When I get it back, I want to install the intercooler that I have. I got one from a GM van with a Duramax. It should fit nicely. The next upgrade from there will be the water/meth kit that's sitting in the box waiting (for a couple years now).

We finally get to see a bigger pic of the motorhome. Looks very worthy of the project, pretty darn clean!

hopefully they didn't use gaskets when they did the manifolds, did they?

Back