• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5L TD Motorhome repair/repower

Get Clorox wipes, they do wonders on grease (dino & food). They are now my go-to staple for cleaning grime of any kind.

I noticed that the P-400 with a good tune actually makes the motor noticably more quiet as well. Seems the sweet-spot for lowest noise (in the Burb anyway) is ~2100 RPM's.

Plan on frequent oil and filter changes. So far I have not gone past 3K miles as I get analysis at each change and the motor is still shedding lots-of-stuff (as expected). Will keep this up until the reports stop coming back in the higher 'Severity' range.
First thing I noticed about the P400 was how quiet it is also. I did'int know if it was the roller rockers making it quite. Now after several reports is seems as though for whatever reason they are quieter. More mass??

The stiffened block and girdle will help with the noise. Chrysler did this with the last of the 4.0L JEEPS. They added in a girdle and some gussets to the block to help with rigidity and harmonics to help rid the straight 6 of the charicteristic rattles and such they were known for. And if you want to wipe grease off, use a baby wipe. I had to do something and got grease on my hands while out one day, reached into my sons diaper bag and used a wipe since thats all I had, and WOW did it work. I couldn't believe how quick and easy the grease wiped right off. Guess it helps that we buy them by the case, so I always have them on hand.

The stiffened block and girdle will help with the noise. Chrysler did this with the last of the 4.0L JEEPS. They added in a girdle and some gussets to the block to help with rigidity and harmonics to help rid the straight 6 of the charicteristic rattles and such they were known for. And if you want to wipe grease off, use a baby wipe. I had to do something and got grease on my hands while out one day, reached into my sons diaper bag and used a wipe since thats all I had, and WOW did it work. I couldn't believe how quick and easy the grease wiped right off. Guess it helps that we buy them by the case, so I always have them on hand.
Makes since to me. More mass, stronger = less noise usually.

Selling it? Rebuilding it? Scrapping it? Where is the vulture smiley when you need it? :woot:

I'm a little over 600 miles into the road test. First fill up was 8.5 mpg, second was 8.7 mpg.

Threw a code at around 500 miles. 753. 1 code and 1 pending, same pending. Went to look it up, but are no 753s on my DTC list. Cleared it and it came back in about a block.

It's been shifting funny too.

From what I can find P0753 has to do with the 1-2 shift solenoid. If the ECm detects at rans problem that is active, it can default to max line pressure making it shift very firm. It can also hang in 1st.

Well, here's what I found.

I stopped in a Home Depot parking lot and checked the trans fluid in the pouring rain. The dipstick was dry!!

I had to go in to get some tubing to fit into the fill tube and my funnel. I added 2 qts, cleared the code and took off. there was no way to check for leaks because of the heavy rain. It ran and shifted fine for about 2 hrs, then the SES light came on and it started shifting funny again. We stopped in a truck stop parking area (the rain had quit for the time being) and checked the fluid again. It was dry again. I added 2 more qts and decided to look under the rig. It was dripping trans fluid out and had a puddle about 6in in dia. already. I took off the doghouse cover to look see and couldn't see anything. I then got some wood blocking out that I carry with and put it under the front hydraulic leveler, raised the front and crawled under to look. I found that it was leaking from around the fill/dipstick tube connection.

I spent the next 2hrs trying to get the tube in place and secure it. It held, but the damage was done. I got back home and will be visiting the installer in the morning!!!!

Hopefully no damage

I'm thinking it's way too late for that.

It shifts hard, jumps from 1st to OD and back on a whim. My only salvation was that once in OD headed and down the road, it held. It was only an issue starting out and on hills.

The good part is you paid for a shop to do it, and had just had the trans done as well, so somebody should be stepping up to the plate here. Just a bummer that such a simple mistake could have gotten your new trans.

Update:

I dropped it off at the shop last night and visited them this morning. I got a call a little while ago to ask if I had the old PCM yet, because they wanted to do some testing.

I went to drop it off and talked to the tech. He said all looked fine with the fluid, nice and clean and no burnt smell. He told me that the reason it was leaking is because the rubber boot that holds the tube in to the transmission was ripped.

The reason he wanted the PCM was because it wasn't staying in 2nd gear. It would go almost right from 1st to 3rd. He told me that the 753 code was for 4 different possible reasons. 1. low fluid, 2. dirty fluid, 3. shift solenoid and 4. PCM.
He wanted to try the stock PCM to rule that out.

Back