• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Get a heavy duty.

The light medium heavy duty stands are dangerous
Yeah I was looking online for the weight on a 6.5. It seems they are 650lb dry and up to 1100 fully dressed. I’ll check with some of the gay work and a couple friends to see if they have one for now. HarborFreight is out of stock on the 2000lb stands

I’m in no rush. My truck rides smoother with the extra weight lol

Yeah I was looking online for the weight on a 6.5. It seems they are 650lb dry and up to 1100 fully dressed. I’ll check with some of the gay work and a couple friends to see if they have one for now. HarborFreight is out of stock on the 2000lb stands

I’m in no rush. My truck rides smoother with the extra weight lol
You work at a gay shop? My utmost sympathy.

I was doing some digging online and saw where the 6.2 has less horsepower and almost half the torque the 6.5 does. not sure if that is the specs for non turbo. how much will this effect the way mine drives now? or will I see issues if I get this 6.2 ready to swap over into my rig? using the existing DS4 IP and all. I have learned so much on the 6.5's, I feel like I don't know anything about the 6.2's I assume they suffered from the same choking turbo and breathing issues and all.

I just want to make sure if I do go through this engine making it a good lasting motor and install it in place of my current 6.5 will the trouble and effort be worth it since it's a smaller engine.

I will be reusing everything on my truck now at least until I have the courage and extra funds to attempt to convert to a DB2 IP.

You can get as much power from 6.2 as 6.5. Same mpg if you want that.

The disadvantage of the 6.2 is no oil squirters forthe bottom of the pistons for cooling if you run a turbo and push it hard. You can easily compensate by having Chris coat he pistons.

Not having the oil squirters is considered an advantage by some people. Where the main webs crack is sometimes through where the squirter holes are drilled. I can’t say that is not accurate, but my experience has always been from the unbalanced lower assembly and the harmonic balancer failure is where I believe the cracked mains are mainly from. The ridiculous compression we run adds in obviously.

The block, crank, rear main seal and rear main cap is not interchangeable from 6.2 to 6.5. There is a issue of different injectors in the heads as well but idk which works with which so that I would leave until you need to address it.

The timing cover might not have the cps port, and definitely the lower timing gear is different so you will need to swap the timing chain for using a ds4.

So you can’t just drop in an old db2 engine into a ds4 truck without swapping some stuff. But nothing real hard or expensive.

My suggestion is flipping it upside down and pop the oil pan. Check out the main webs for cracks before buying any parts or anything. Even if they are cracked- it can be used as a spare but the way to deal with it is DO NOT remove the main cap bolts. Do not try a complete rebuild. Keep boost and power low.

I've had some self inflicted aggravation lately. Was talking with a friend and he asked about koko.
So i said watch this,.
well no resistor in the fsd,. so now its a mess,. put resistor in, but cold starts are just like bisons old problem,. huffing puffing dead pedal etc.. unhooked cts marginally better,.it will warm and slowly come out of it,. but clears a 100 acres of any mosquito's or flies.
Going to get a resistor and trick the temp,. then try koko again.
Been messing with it for a month.
Ran dead nuts on perfect before i tried koko too,..

I stopped by my ex place of employment this morning. There is a new shop super in the shop. He and I do know each other and consider each other friends.
From back in the day when I was employed there, the state had service/repair manuals for every year of vehicles that was purchased and sent to the districts.
For the GMT 400 trucks, in our shop, there must have been four or five different years of manuals.
I asked the shop super if there was still some of those GM factory manuals around.
He told me that the previous shop super had brought out all of the manuals that they no longer had equipment for and anyone in the shop that wanted any of those books was welcome to take them. He said that any of the books left on the shelf after several days all went to the dumpster. 😧😖😢

I stopped by my ex place of employment this morning. There is a new shop super in the shop. He and I do know each other and consider each other friends.
From back in the day when I was employed there, the state had service/repair manuals for every year of vehicles that was purchased and sent to the districts.
For the GMT 400 trucks, in our shop, there must have been four or five different years of manuals.
I asked the shop super if there was still some of those GM factory manuals around.
He told me that the previous shop super had brought out all of the manuals that they no longer had equipment for and anyone in the shop that wanted any of those books was welcome to take them. He said that any of the books left on the shelf after several days all went to the dumpster. 😧😖😢

Thats the way the state and the nation operates..... :punch:

Back