• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Those fender flares seem to be like the ZR2 units. I almost guarantee that the studs on the flare will snap off (not that it matters since you're replacing them). I have to get a new set for my little truck once I finish excising the cancer.

Not a GMT400 or a 6.5, but life isn't fun all the time....
New rocker panel is on the way, new cat-back exhaust (first attempt at building one), new brakes lines, and a lot of Fluid Film on the frame.

Attachments

• IMG_20220820_084303313.jpg
    IMG_20220820_084303313.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20220820_084349100.jpg
    IMG_20220820_084349100.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220820_084430184.jpg
    IMG_20220820_084430184.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20220820_084726828.jpg
    IMG_20220820_084726828.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 3
Not a GMT400 or a 6.5, but life isn't fun all the time....
New rocker panel is on the way, new cat-back exhaust (first attempt at building one), new brakes lines, and a lot of Fluid Film on the frame.
I haven't had the greatest results with fluid film. I'm not real impressed by it's longevity.

I had better results with Amsoil heavy duty metal protector and other oils an lubricants.

I use anything that's handy. Marvel Mystery oil seems to work pretty good also

Made the trip out to the coast. The drive went smoothly. It’s nice, hot, and humid out here lol

This morning we headed out to see trade days in Rockport Tx. Found a puddle of power steering fluid under the truck in the driveway. Crawled under to see where it came from… the pitman seal must have puked it out. Refilled the reservoir as it was half empty. Drove about 10 miles while we were out n about. Got back to the house we’re staying at and rechecked the fluid. Still full??? Hopefully it was just a fluke and will at least hold up till I get back home on Monday. It won’t be fun if it gives out while we’re 150 miles away from home lol

Same for me. I’d rather spend the $400-500 for a new steering box where my daughter is mad and says I need a new truck.

Out here on the trip it decided to dump all the power steering fluid again! Had to pull over and refill it. Made it back to the house we’re staying at and didn’t leak a drop on the driveway pulling in??? I’m beginning to wonder if the box housing is cracked and dumps when it opens under the right position. 🤷‍♂️

That’s a possibility. What would cause that? It wasn’t cracked before when I had it on there. Only had slop

I didn’t use an impact on the mounting bolts. Drove out to Ingleside Tx for some fishing today and didn’t seem to leak anything

The left side of the pitman shaft seal and dust shield is bone dry. The right side towards the frame is saturated the seal, box, and frame!!
This case interests me. Wondering if they are o-ring fittings. Maybe an o-ring rolled on you during installation, and the heat swelled it up and sealed it. Or a flare fitting. The gush of oil cleaned it out and let is seat.

The top side of the box is dry even around the connection and hoses are dry. Looking up from the bottom I can see it wet all around the lower side of the box where it mounts to the frame and that side of the pitman shaft (driver’s side). The passenger side is dry and both the input shaft and end cap where the piston is all dry!

We drove all over town today without a hitch, not having to stop and refill with fluid at all. It seems as long as I don’t have to make a sharp turn or have to turn the wheels too much without the truck rolling it doesn’t leak!! I’m thinking more with what @ak diesel driver said with it being cracked. I just can’t think of what would have caused it to crack.

Could be a cracked case. But, I have seen big rigs leak in some positions at the pitman shift, and not in others. Of coarse, the shaft come out the side of the box on those. But when you make turns, different pressures are put on the pitman shaft. Defective pitman shaft seal? Just enough play in the shaft to let it leak? Going g down the road will cause it to spray all over the bottom of the box.

That’s true. I’m just afraid to mess with it till we get back home lol. We’re about 150 miles away from home! We leave tomorrow for our return trip. Hopefully it makes the drive, a wrecker will cost a pretty penny lol

Back