• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Good luck! Yeah, you need a mortgage just for the hookup. Oil leaks are a wonder. Most are pretty straight forward. But, then you get one that just stagers the imagination. I put a crate engine into my 84 Chevy, and it leaked out the front. Looked all over. Valve covers, timing chain cover, front main... Went on for weeks! Turned out to be an unused bolt hole by the fuel pump. They're drilled trough to the pump rod. Plugged it with a bolt, no more leak.

Good luck! Yeah, you need a mortgage just for the hookup. Oil leaks are a wonder. Most are pretty straight forward. But, then you get one that just stagers the imagination. I put a crate engine into my 84 Chevy, and it leaked out the front. Looked all over. Valve covers, timing chain cover, front main... Went on for weeks! Turned out to be an unused bolt hole by the fuel pump. They're drilled trough to the pump rod. Plugged it with a bolt, no more leak.
That is there by design to hold the fuel pump rod during pump replacement. Manuals will tell you remove the short factory bolt, install a longer one to hold the rod, repalce pump, then wipe sealant on the threads and reinstall the short one. If your engine was a factory new- is should have had it. When experienced mechanics send in a block for a core charge to be rebuilt, they snag that bolt out and keep it because it is an odd size and GM wants stupid money for one. I used to keep them and use paint marker with a “P” on the head to tell me Pump Plug.

That is there by design to hold the fuel pump rod during pump replacement. Manuals will tell you remove the short factory bolt, install a longer one to hold the rod, repalce pump, then wipe sealant on the threads and reinstall the short one. If your engine was a factory new- is should have had it. When experienced mechanics send in a block for a core charge to be rebuilt, they snag that bolt out and keep it because it is an odd size and GM wants stupid money for one. I used to keep them and use paint marker with a “P” on the head to tell me Pump Plug.
Would that then be a PP bolt ? 🤷‍♂️😖😹😹😹😹

Hey yall! guess what happened!!

on Tuesday one of the guys I work with called me and said that the guy that had done the work on my rear axle installing the gears was trying to get a hold of me and didn't know how. he told me that the guy had pulled a 6.5 engine from a truck that his customer wanted his truck converted to a gasser!! he went on to say that it was a good engine to rebuild and recalls the guy saying he wanted $100 bucks for it :D

he was looking for me because he remembered me mentioning looking for a rebuildable engine, both of us knowing how hard these things are getting to find.

so today after work I ran by his shop and got to see it. when I arrived the guy that had his truck converted was there, I walked up and we chatted for a minuet, he goes "so your gonna keep that truck diesel"? I said "yup, I've grown to love these trucks and that old diesel" hehe. lol he gave me a funny look as he was leaving. I walked over with the shop owner as he showed me the engine, it's a complete 6.5 with factory turbo and a DB2 pump, only missing the accessories he used on the gasser engine. he said the engine ran fine but just leaked oil real bad.

I'm ecstatic about this. I've just got to setup a day to go pick it up and bring it home as it was the ovner's dad that wanted to contact me on it, he was out in town running errands.

I just wonder where it was leaking! blowby, hole in the block ect lol I'm hoping it's just gaskets and seals that are all leaking. if that's the case, a simple gasket set replacement along with checking the cylinders and other what-nots and it might be a good spare engine ready to install!

I just wonder where it was leaking! blowby, hole in the block ect lol I'm hoping it's just gaskets and seals that are all leaking. if that's the case, a simple gasket set replacement along with checking the cylinders and other what-nots and it might be a good spare engine ready to install!
If life was good, I'd be looking for a good recipient for the donor engine

If life was good, I'd be looking for a good recipient for the donor engine
If I run across another rig, I'd love to have a dually lol my current rig still has a lot of odds and ends that need a little TLC but has done me well in the time I have owned her.

I know I will be taking my time on the engine tinkering and going through it. I just talked to the shop owners dad and setup everything to pick it up tomorrow morning. he also mentioned to me that there was an issue with the pump. I will ask him more when I get there tomorrow, but I am not sure if he was talking about the IP or the oil pump. from the sound of it I think he was talking about the IP. it came out of a 94 1 ton like mine.

since it has a DB2 on it, I should be able to try cranking and getting it to fire up on a stand once I have the time to drop the pan and check everything underneath along with some other preliminary checks like compression and what not. just to see what is all wrong and how it runs before tearing into it. being that it was running and just pulled. not sure if that would be a good idea to do or not.

If I run across another rig, I'd love to have a dually lol my current rig still has a lot of odds and ends that need a little TLC but has done me well in the time I have owned her.

I know I will be taking my time on the engine tinkering and going through it. I just talked to the shop owners dad and setup everything to pick it up tomorrow morning. he also mentioned to me that there was an issue with the pump. I will ask him more when I get there tomorrow, but I am not sure if he was talking about the IP or the oil pump. from the sound of it I think he was talking about the IP. it came out of a 94 1 ton like mine.

since it has a DB2 on it, I should be able to try cranking and getting it to fire up on a stand once I have the time to drop the pan and check everything underneath along with some other preliminary checks like compression and what not. just to see what is all wrong and how it runs before tearing into it. being that it was running and just pulled. not sure if that would be a good idea to do or not.
Good plan

Well, just got back from picking up the motor. I took some photos of it and cleaned off the block where I could read the casting numbers. Jut googling this online it might be a 6.2 , but it looks to have the shorter 6.5 injectors. Maybe some of you experts can tell me more about it.

C6D50F83-58F0-404E-B9EC-D6C091C0D393.jpeg2CC1D120-D608-4C81-82CB-BC2F828F285E.jpeg702F0336-E8FF-465E-8140-F89F44CF13D9.jpegFADC0D06-572D-496B-9F2A-81612872C897.jpeg5D13DD14-891C-4242-87B3-D0C9F6E677DB.jpeg18173A84-2969-45A6-BABD-0E414A74ABD5.jpeg4E84F085-3497-4D4B-8C58-B469B8B7ADB0.jpeg9BE77A85-044D-4A5C-A997-8E29583FAA22.jpeg

Well, just got back from picking up the motor. I took some photos of it and cleaned off the block where I could read the casting numbers. Jut googling this online it might be a 6.2 , but it looks to have the shorter 6.5 injectors. Maybe some of you experts can tell me more about it.

View attachment 76569View attachment 76570View attachment 76571View attachment 76572View attachment 76573View attachment 76574View attachment 76575View attachment 76576

Is that the highly sought after single stat cross over ?

Is that the highly sought after single stat cross over ?
I donno! I noticed it’s different than mine. Even has the factory temp sender on the passenger rear head. I also noticed the front pulley is shot but the balancer is intact. Has a GM-3 turbo. It came out of a 94 truck

When I talked to the guy he said the IP was having trouble not much power and the oil leak was in the front. I can see sludgy buildup on the under side of the water pump and timing cover

I donno! I noticed it’s different than mine. Even has the factory temp sender on the passenger rear head. I also noticed the front pulley is shot but the balancer is intact. Has a GM-3 turbo. It came out of a 94 truck
I dont remember what the year for the good single stat crossover was, as stated in a thread somewhere in this forum.

Back