• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

ordered a passenger side inside door handle for the rear door, waiting for it to arrive to install hopefully sometime this weekend :)

something I noticed lately, I figured it was just a normal thing. But when I have the AC running and I sit in a parking lot for a little bit my rpm will bump it's self up 1-200. I never really noticed this until after I has replaced my motor mounts. what caught my attention was when it did this I was feeling more vibration in the cab. over time the vibrations have ceased. the truck doesn't bump the rpm right away, it takes a couple of minutes of sitting in park idling with the AC on, then it does it.

is this something normal for a DS4 truck?

oh yeah and this weekend's plan is to also attempt to get the 6.2 donor engine out of the back of my truck onto an engine stand, pop the pan and begin some inspection and cleaning on it in preparation to possibly have a good spare for my rig. Ill post up a new thread once I get there and try to take plenty of photos along the way. lol I'll probably have a lot of questions to ask too... haha.

Even if you don't use that engine hang onto that pan. It was only used for a couple of years in 4x4s. If you want to put a 6.2 into a gmt400 4x4 you'll need that pan or a lift kit
I didn’t visually see anything different on this pan than the one that’s on my truck. How different are they. I have no idea if it’s been swapped out on this 6.2 engine

Reading this linked thread is making me think this donor engine may have a newer pan on it with ether a lot of goop or some kind of spacer

The pan looks identical to the one on my 6.5 but I’ll have to get it up in a stand and get a better look since I have never seen any other pan except what’s on my truck

Early 1996 was the hybrid single stat housing that actually outflows the dual stat. As for injectors, only the first year of 6.2 had unique, taller injectors. After that they were interchangeable across 6.2/6.5, being the same injector. All 6.2 blocks were two piece rear main seal, that didn't change until the 6.5 block was upgraded 96+.

Power. The 6.2 power ratings you see are because it's an N/A and are lower than the N/A 6.5 (slightly) and way lower than the 6.5TD. That being said, Gale Banks's Stinger system added a BorgWarner turbo as well as custom exhaust and intake manifolds and a front crossover pipe and required the DB2 pump turned up a bit - and made MORE horsepower than a 6.5TD and did it more reliably than the 6.5TD!

My understanding is the rare 96 crossover isonly desired for fitting the 96 and newer set up because of the ac compressor location so you cant use the older single stat.

The rare 96 uses same thermostat as the older ones.

The single thermostat cool is better than the duel thermostat not because it flows better. It cools better because of the block off thermostat sends 100% of the hot engine coolant to the radiator. The dual thermostat always sends a portion of the fully heated water back into the engine. This is why the bypass restrictor is important on dual thermostats, because it sounds less of the 200° water back into the engine.

What would be better than the bypass restriction fittings is if you had a tiny thermostat that worked in reverse of a normal one. One that would stay closed when it is above 180° And open when it is below 180°. But that is quite a challenge for that much nonsense. If a fellow needs to they can just replace the crossover with one of those cube style thermostat housings I posted a couple years back and use heater hose feeding it all. Then you get the block off style and can fit past the ac compressor.

Made a last minute trip to the pick a part yard today for a friend looking for a tranny dipstick tube and decided to walk around to see what all they had in the Chevy section! I walked up on a pickup with a complete untouched 6.5 engine!! Sadly I didn’t have enough time or tools to pull it :(

I did however snag the ECM, coolant bottle, and a remote mounted PMD with heatsink and extension harness…. Already tested the PMD and have the coolant bottle soaking in some sulfamic acid to hopefully make it more clear. The bottle is still white but mine is so orange that you can’t see the liquid level. This one can still be seen

5A50FC7C-4B75-4D7D-B98F-BBD8301E200A.jpeg8A5509B4-8716-4EA0-A7EC-9883EB2BD79D.jpegC9A3B10B-8FDF-4DDC-9FB6-4C06867A70EE.jpeg
C6E8776B-3FF5-4498-96FE-91B41EBBCEDE.jpeg705B7A62-685B-420D-A6AD-869975791475.jpegC6577E12-2902-419B-B6CB-FEE77CD8B3C6.png

Actually, @Will L. that rare early 96 single stat housing does run a larger diameter thermostat. It also has the rear exit housing cover neck that uses the 97+ upper radiator hose that the dual stat housing uses to clear the relocated engine accessories. It did actually outflow the earlier single, as well as the dual stats (basic math, one large pipe has greater cross section area than two smaller pipes that total the larger's diameter, ie: one 4" pipe outflows two 2" pipes, pressure being equal).

Rock Auto doesn't even list the very rare large single stat for the '96 and last time I looked (following a similar thread discussion a few months back) only one or two vendors, out of the many listed, even carried the correct gasket for the large single stat housing for 96 6.5TD on Rock Auto. Finding the correct large stat today is a lot like being struck by lightning - you gotta be in the right place at the right time. To find one, which is damn near impossible, I'd start with an old-school parts store that actually has the PARTS BOOKS and INTERCHANGE for around the year 2000 to find the right part number and what it interchanges with, if anything. Then I'd try a stealership and see if they still list anything that far back and rare - IF it was put into their computer parts data base.

The biggest reason they went to a two-stat design was 1) redundancy, if one stat failed shut, you wouldn't cook your motor and 2) corporate bean counters, two commonly used, readily available stats were cheaper to use than a pretty much one-off piece.

I remember reading the article in DieselPower, back around 2005 or 06 iirc, that they had on a "performance" build of a 6.5TD by a 6.5 "expert" (not Bill Heath or Kennedy, this was about 3-4 years before they ran the article on Bill's Bonneville record setting 6.5TD). I will, in a moment of shear boredom, will dig through my DieselPower collection (I have everything from Vol.1 Issue 2 up through about 2017 when I stopped subscribing) that I ended because it had gone to shit and was nothing more than 60 pages of ads, three "build write ups" that were basically 4-8 pages of product placement ads for the shop/owner doing the build and the parts suppliers on a new or near new truck, a page of B.S. from the editor, and maybe a page of Readers Rides featured - and absolutely NOTHING on old diesels, except the ocassional P-pump Cummins, let alone anything about 6.2/6.5 diesels!

Back