• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tahoe 6.2 swap

Thanks! it has been a fun project, and a great learning experience. And I hope that the final out come is a fun, fuel efficient car.

Well the last few days have not seen much progress, but I did get the water pump re-installed (we do it nice cause we do it twice) And got the wire harness for the transmission controller laid into place.

Still have a ways to go in getting all the wires secured and lots of sensors to get hooked up.

Finally got some more time to work on this last night. Got the oil cooler lines from a local hose shop. Installed the fuel tank and battery trays, bought two batteries. I still have to weld some new fittings on the oil cooler and figure out where I want the fuel filter to go.

When I get to priming the oil system with a drill through the RPM sensor drive.... Which way is the drive shaft supposed to spin?

When connecting the wires to the RPM sensor (I am using the one that runs off the oil pump drive gear in the engine valley) how do I determine polarity of the two wires? Or does it not matter?

Got a couple hours on it again today.............. I have looked around but have not found a diagram of which fuel injection lines go where. Anybody know? I have taken them off and put them on multiple times on my truck, but they were always clamped together and I did not bend them out of shape. The lines that came with this engine are kinda scrambled. I think I figured out which line goes to which injector, but I am not sure which port on the back of the pump they fit to.

When connecting the wires to the RPM sensor (I am using the one that runs off the oil pump drive gear in the engine valley) how do I determine polarity of the two wires? Or does it not matter?

Still have not found an answer to this anywhere........... I guess I will try to call US Shift and see if they have any input.

On a similar note... I seem to remember reading somewhere that the computer uses the crankshaft sensor input for controlling the glow plugs? Is this correct? And if so is there a way to fool it, as I am using a 96 computer with a 6.2 engine so there is no crankshaft sensor. My other options are to go with a manual button, or I could use a timer and make my own control circuit.

In general this project has slowed down recently due to the days getting shorter, and work has been keeping me late. So by the time I get off work I only have an hour or so of daylight to work in. (doing this job in the driveway) If I don't get some time on it in the next couple of weeks I will probably tow it to where I work so I can push it into the hanger in the evenings so I can have some light. I really don't think I am very far from being able to start it. A few of the big items left are: make a throttle cable bracket, run the fuel return line from the engine to the frame rail and connect to the original return line, route the fuel supply line from the pump up to the fuel filter, hook up the TPS and speed sensor to the US Shift controller, hook up the battery cables, and see if it smokes................

Thinking about the fuel lines reminded me of another question....... Will the flexible section of original fuel line for gasoline hold up to diesel or will I need to replace it?

Replace it with sae30r9

Need to call US Shift about the signal. And for the crank sensor signal to the glowplugs- no clue if it ties in or not, but I would just do the little solenoid Leroy sells and use a button.

Still have not found an answer to this anywhere........... I guess I will try to call US Shift and see if they have any input.

On a similar note... I seem to remember reading somewhere that the computer uses the crankshaft sensor input for controlling the glow plugs? Is this correct? And if so is there a way to fool it, as I am using a 96 computer with a 6.2 engine so there is no crankshaft sensor. My other options are to go with a manual button, or I could use a timer and make my own control circuit.

In general this project has slowed down recently due to the days getting shorter, and work has been keeping me late. So by the time I get off work I only have an hour or so of daylight to work in. (doing this job in the driveway) If I don't get some time on it in the next couple of weeks I will probably tow it to where I work so I can push it into the hanger in the evenings so I can have some light. I really don't think I am very far from being able to start it. A few of the big items left are: make a throttle cable bracket, run the fuel return line from the engine to the frame rail and connect to the original return line, route the fuel supply line from the pump up to the fuel filter, hook up the TPS and speed sensor to the US Shift controller, hook up the battery cables, and see if it smokes................
My computer is no longer hooked up to my crank sensor. My glow plugs just run full cycle all the time. I have the Duraterms in mine and since they're self- limiting this shouldn't be a problem. Sorry, I don't have any insight into the oil pump driven sensor.

Well I finally got back from work before dark........... I have put in 155 hours at work so far this month.... so there has been no progress. Gonna go try to change that this evening! Looking forward to getting this thing on the road!

So I got the batteries in it and turned the key on and the electrical side of things seems to work. No sparks or smoke from under the dash! If I had worked on it all day Saturday I think I might could have had it running, But I was side tracked by an old broken down Ford.................. Maybe this week!

Back