• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tahoe 6.2 swap

That’s it and they do very good work. They have a huge customer base. They will treat you right over there.

Found a shop that will cut it and balance it for about $100 so I think I will go that route.

Have a little problem with the RPM input for the USShift. I am using an early 90's style sensor that goes in the oil pump drive. In the settings I set custom, because all the other options had to do with ignition type sensors. But I got 0 rpm indication on the unit.
That is the best way, as brave as I am about welding, cutting and fabing things together, a driveshaft is something I leave to the pros.

Got the drive shaft in.....about $170 with new u-joints.

Had trouble getting the brakes to bleed. The pedal always went to the floor, never really pumped any fluid out that I could tell, so I may have a bad master cylinder. Also after pushing the pedal down with the bleed port open, then closing the bleed port, I would have to pull the pedal back up with a good bit of resistance. Sound like a bad master cylinder?? Or was I just doing a bad job of trying to bleed them by myself?

So close to getting this thing on the road!

Got the drive shaft in.....about $170 with new u-joints.

Had trouble getting the brakes to bleed. The pedal always went to the floor, never really pumped any fluid out that I could tell, so I may have a bad master cylinder. Also after pushing the pedal down with the bleed port open, then closing the bleed port, I would have to pull the pedal back up with a good bit of resistance. Sound like a bad master cylinder?? Or was I just doing a bad job of trying to bleed them by myself?

So close to getting this thing on the road!
I wonder though if it could be the booster, I think that the rod from the pedal to the booster locks into the booster.

Maybe.............I put a new booster on it so you think if the booster has air it would cause this problem?

Not so much air, as I think he's refering to the actuating rod from the brake pedal being seated properly into the booster. You may want to make sure that the power steering circuit is bled of all air, since the hydroboost for the brakes is part of it.
IMHO, it is your bleeding of the brakes that is the culprit, that's why I always use a MiteVac when I bleed mine.

It is quite possible that your master cylinder is leaking internally, especially if it has been sitting for a long time and the fluid has absorbed water from the atmosphere, that will cause internal corrosion and the seals to eventually fail.

found the problem........... apparently there is a piston/rod that goes in between the hydroboost and the master cylinder. The new hydroboost apparently did not come with it, and I did not remove it from the old one when I sent it in for a core...................... talk about frustrating.

found the problem........... apparently there is a piston/rod that goes in between the hydroboost and the master cylinder. The new hydroboost apparently did not come with it, and I did not remove it from the old one when I sent it in for a core...................... talk about frustrating.
If it was a local sale, they might still have Your core setting in the back room.
If a innernet sale and You mailed in the core, You might contact the company and have them mail the rod back to You.
other wise, auto salvage, here You go.

It was Rockauto............mailed the core in a month ago or so............

So I pulled the rod out of my truck and got it working. That was the last thing I needed to do before I drove it so I just got in from the first test drive!!! Runs pretty well. Have a lot to figure out about the USShift controller... seems to shift kinda hard so need to do some tweeking.

It was Rockauto............mailed the core in a month ago or so............

So I pulled the rod out of my truck and got it working. That was the last thing I needed to do before I drove it so I just got in from the first test drive!!! Runs pretty well. Have a lot to figure out about the USShift controller... seems to shift kinda hard so need to do some tweeking.
My truck has a 3 position shift controller. IIRC it is a B&M. It was set on position 3 when I got the truck, that was just too harsh so I set it to the no.1 position, I now like the way it shifts. center position 0 is factory shift. IIRC, been a while since I dug it out from its entanglement.

Quick update.......been pretty busy but have been able to work out a few bugs here and there. Am still having a bit of a time getting the USShift to always shift the way I want it to..... the torque converter comes in pretty hard at light throttle. Really need to get some time during the day and call USShift, and see how their tech support is.

Not much update... Things are crazy at work and it gets dark by the time I get home. Don't have a garage to work in so I am not man enough to work on it in the dark and cold. Just driving my truck currently.

Basically it runs pretty well, just not happy with the shifting yet, and I need to improve my fuel tank pickup because it will start sucking air between a half and a quarter tank. Overall very happy with the power and feel of it.

Of this whole swap the fuel tank was the biggest unforeseen problem. Since they did not make four door diesel tahoes there are no diesel tanks that would fit it (unless I went for the square tank in the rear that the two door uses) but then I would loose the place for the spare tire. The hole in the tank for the sender is a different size than a diesel sender so I cant just swap them out like I had hopped to. The gas tank also does not have baffles in it to prevent the fuel from sloshing away from the pickup tube like a diesel tank does (it used the jar like container that the fuel pump was in)

So I may end up cutting and modifying my parts truck diesel tank to fit or just welding up my own.

Finally get to give a good update! I got a fuel leak stopped at the fuel sender, so now I can fill the tank all the way up without it sloshing out over the top. So I am starting to get some fuel mileage numbers. So far it looks like 13-14 in town and 21 on the highway. Also made some good progress in figuring out the USShift. Still have a bit more tuning to do, but at least it is getting close. I am finally starting to get really excited about how this project is turning out. - It took pretty much a full year...............

i just purchased a TCI EZ TCU. hope to have the trans swapped out by next week so i can get mine tuned.

Why, does he want to BBQ while driving? LOL! :D[/QUOTE
If you only knew... LOL we have a rack on it like a ladder rack when he gets to school on pretty days he hangs a hammock up on it ( I tell him, it's making him red" ) so your comment is kind of fitting! lol.
Actually he put the back bump of a newer model Chev Malibu in the back seat and it only broke the already cracked grill..

Back