• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tahoe 6.2 swap

Which oil port would you hook the turbo up to? There are the two oil cooler lines, then there is one hole that did not have anything in it when I got the engine (not sure what was hooked up there, if anything) then the plugged hole.

GM used the one on the right front of block just ahead of the cylinder head. Then some newer blocks had a port in the 'valley' of the block. If your 6.2 is an oldie like mine it had neither so I just T'd into the oil pressure switch port on the top left rear of the block.

Got the cruise control harness pulled out. Looks like all will be easy to connect into the new harness except for one wire........... It goes to the computer, and is called "VCM signal" it is light blue with black stripe. Any of you guys running a mechanical swap and have a gasser cruise control know what you hooked that wire to?

@n8in8or It looks like I will be using a similar cruise set up to what you have. Do you remember where that wire went? I read through your post but it was either not mentioned or I missed it.

So Bobbie Martins guide says that pin J (the blue black wire) is not used, and that pin H which currently is empty should be connected to ground........ I am a little hesitant because his guide was written for OBDI trucks as far as I know. I don't think there would be a difference in this area, but...................any thoughts?

Last edited:
This is a diagram I downloaded off the interwebs when I was trying to figure mine out. See if this helps. Note that this one says that H is empty. I'm sure I left mine empty as well.

IMG_9077.PNG

Thanks! I think between that and another wiring diagram I can get it to work........ So I guess that wire (pin J) sets the cruise control light in the panel? Guess I would not have to have it if I have a hard time finding that pin. I noticed it said "99-02 trucks" next to the speed sensor wire and some of the wire colors are different.

The speed sensor wire was originally spliced into a group of wires, one went to the buffer, one to the comp, and one to the radio. The truck harness has the same wire running to the radio so I can splice in there.

Thanks! I think between that and another wiring diagram I can get it to work........ So I guess that wire (pin J) sets the cruise control light in the panel? Guess I would not have to have it if I have a hard time finding that pin. I noticed it said "99-02 trucks" next to the speed sensor wire and some of the wire colors are different.

The speed sensor wire was originally spliced into a group of wires, one went to the buffer, one to the comp, and one to the radio. The truck harness has the same wire running to the radio so I can splice in there.
You're welcome. Yes that sounds familiar- that it's a feedback signal wire. Here are 2 other diagrams I have saved on my phone. So between the 3 I figured mine out I guess. I'm not sure they're very readable.

IMG_9078.PNG IMG_9079.PNG

Yea those old wiring diagrams are tough to read... I have a set that lines up better with my tahoe but they are not easier to read............

It is an oldie............ So do I just plug the other two holes by the oil cooler lines?

Yes. I suppose one could use one for turbo oil, just would be a long hose and closer to hot things. I can't remember what ports are pressure and return.. it's been a while since messing with these. I do know you DO NOT want the GM CLIP STYLE oil cooler lines or fittings. Many engines have died because of them.

I used basic tractor hydro stuff for oil cooler lines. Still works.

DSC01798.JPG

Last edited:
So I was originally going to use the stock fuel filter off of my parts truck..........but I opened it up and it is NASTY with dirt and rust etc......... What is a good aftermarket filter? I take it that the filter Leroy has is just good for the pre-filter for the lift pump.

Thanks to n8in8or's input I got the dash wiring harness wrapped up (at least all the mods I can think of...) which were:
Adding the plugs and wires for the cruise control, rear hatch, rear window defrost, rear window wiper. Next step is to get the engine harness installed.

So I was originally going to use the stock fuel filter off of my parts truck..........but I opened it up and it is NASTY with dirt and rust etc......... What is a good aftermarket filter? I take it that the filter Leroy has is just good for the pre-filter for the lift pump.
I used a Baldwin filter mount for my pre-IP filter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00171NUR6/?tag=jhdiesel-20

This filter will mount to it:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T85IQOA/?tag=jhdiesel-20

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Progress for today....
Had the AC in the house go out so was a little side tracked (found out that the capacitor that starts the cooling fan and the compressor had gone out) No parts stores open this time of evening so its gonna be a hot time in the old house tonight!

Anyway........... I got the engine harness laid into place and the dash sitting back in the cab! Washed the AC ducting out with soap and water cause the PO was a smoker and it still had a faint smell.

Took the water pump off again because I learned on here that it is a bad idea to paint the sealing surfaces....I was thinking corrosion control and was not thinking that coolant acts like paint stripper. Thankfully someone pointed that out on another thread so I will be able to avoid that mistake (frustrating to have to take something off again but it really is easy to do it now compared to later when it is all together and it starts leaking coolant.............)

Back