• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My Water to Air intercooler install

Possible i guess.

I would look real good at your front pump and bushing as best you can for damage. Also check for wear on TC notches.

I know I've derailed this thread a bit, but I just had to share these.....who doesn't love some carnage pics?? :watching::eek::rolleyes::D I will be making for absolute certain that the next flexplate goes on correctly! So far the trans and converter look ok, though I will be replacing the pump seal just to be safe.Flex1.jpg Flex2.jpg Flex3.jpg Flex4.jpg Flex5.jpg

JB weld, good to go.

That would go on my trophy wall. What you get for a new one?
Oh yeah it's going on the wall for sure. I'm just going to get a stock replacement from Autozone. Since it failed due to me installing it incorrectly I am no longer worried about a stock replacement failing anytime in the near future.

Oh, I do have one update to add about the intercooler....When I removed the unit from the engine, before I drained and unhooked the hoses I tipped it up so any air that might be trapped would move to the fill cap. When I did this I ended up with a very small air pocket - it took less than a cap full of coolant to top it back off. So I would say that with the way my system is currently configured I am getting pretty much all of the air out without an air bleed. I think I will fill it before I bolt it down this time though just to be sure.

Update: The intercooler has been rubbing the hood and I always thought it sat a bit high on the engine and would look nicer if it was lower so I decided to do something about that. I have started making a new upper intake so I can move the intercooler over and down.

I made the first upper intake with a 4" tube because I wanted to make the air flow transition from the intercooler to the intake plenum as smooth as possible. I've decided that in a boosted application it probably doesn't matter as much as a naturally aspirated application so I'm going to make this new upper intake with an offset 3" tube so I can gain that extra inch of real estate. An added advantage is that the 3"-3" silicone elbow should sit a bit lower than the 3"-4" silicone elbow I'm using right now.

I started working on this Wednesday night. Smithville D told me about the porta-band table that SWAG makes while I was doing the header project. I finally picked one up and it is great! It makes it so much easier to make straight, accurate cuts. I highly recommend it to anyone that has a portable band saw....or if you don't have a band saw at all, but always wanted one I highly recommend going the route of getting a portable band saw (brand of your choice, though I've been really happy with the Harbor Freight one so far that is much cheaper than other brands) and then getting a SWAG table to go with it. You can still use it as a portable band saw which is really handy, but then you can make it a band saw with a table for even more precise work.

So far I have made the base plate of the intake, put the mounting & air holes in it and welded the intake tube to it. Tonight I will drill and tap the port/sensor holes and slap paint on it. Later this weekend I will swap upper intakes and relocate the intercooler so it sits lower. More updates to come.
3in upper 1.jpg 3in upper 2.jpg SWAG1.jpg SWAG2.jpg SWAG3.jpg

Nice work as always Nate! I may have to look into that band saw, as it would make a very handy addition to my shop. I look forward to seeing the finished product. :)

Matt
Thanks Matt! Yeah it's super handy....I highly recommend picking one up.

It was worth a shot. How much are they?
It's $58......yes it could be fabbed at home for less than that, but all of the design work is done already and it's nice and flat. From the time I opened the box to the time I was cutting steel was 5 minutes as opposed to the time I would have into designing the table, getting the material and fabbing it up. Personally it was worth it to me. Individual results may vary.....

Back