• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My Water to Air intercooler install

You ever demo your rig Nate?
Uh oh.....looks like someone was a victim of Auto Correct!! ;) I'm guessing you meant dyno? No I haven't dynoed it. I've thought of it, I like the idea of using a dyno for evaluating before and after states of modifications, but I don't know of a reputable dyno around me. There may be (and probably is) one, I just don't know of it.

Thanks for the excellent reporting and pics.:snaphappy:
Please forgive my ignorance, but what is that aluminum faced insulation and where can I get some?
Thank you and no problem, I enjoy it.

It's called Tunnel Shield by DEI. I also installed it on the firewall. It does a better job of blocking diesel noise than the factory firewall blanket.

I'm still waiting on the CTS water pump. It looks like I won't have it until next week now :mad:. If anyone else does one of these installs, I would suggest buying the upgraded Bosch pump that you can order as an option with the kit. It costs $70 extra to get, which at the time I thought was too much money, but $70 is what I paid for this CTS pump and I don't know yet what the hose sizes are on it, so I may have to do even more adapting. The Bosch pump is what Ford uses for the intercooler on the Ford GT, so it's designed for the purpose and is OEM grade. I'm sure I'll be happy with the CTS pump, and it too is OEM grade so should be durable, but right now the wait is frustrating.

I did start the wiring last night so I'm a little closer to being ready for the pump when I finally get it.

I got the filler neck installed tonight. It's not where I intended for it go, but it was the best place I could do so it was high up and didn't hit the hood. I do like that it will be easy to fill here in this location. This time function beat form. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Hey FT, I wondered where you had been....this seemed like something you'd enjoy seeing. It looks like you've been busy updating your signature! :D
Well I had another dance with the devil 'pancreitis put me in the hospital hell I didn't know what happened then I developed pneumonia and mrsa. They claim some stones let lose from my gall bladder and blocked things up never knew I even had stones recovering now.

I'd like to see your numbers now w/cac.

I really like that install a lot yea updated it and hope to get back to doing the rest of my mods soon......

Uh oh.....looks like someone was a victim of Auto Correct!! ;) I'm guessing you meant dyno? No I haven't dynoed it. I've thought of it, I like the idea of using a dyno for evaluating before and after states of modifications, but I don't know of a reputable dyno around me. There may be (and probably is) one, I just don't know of it.
Don't bother with a dyno 0 to 60 times and 1/4 mile will be more accurate because of having an auto. I had posted a like from one of the R&D sites that showed how far off a dyno is when running and automatic.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well I had another dance with the devil 'pancreitis put me in the hospital hell I didn't know what happened then I developed pneumonia and mrsa. They claim some stones let lose from my gall bladder and blocked things up never knew I even had stones recovering now.

I really like that install a lot yea updated it and hope to get back to doing the rest of my mods soon......
I was afraid it was health problems again. I'm glad to hear you're on the mend once again.

Once I have it up and running I will definitely post new IATs. I'm camping again in 2 weeks and taking the same route so depending on weather I should have a pretty good comparison.

Glad to here your ok.

Waiting patiently to hear those iat,egt numbers.
I'm waiting not so patiently for my pump to show up. It finally left California on Wednesday and somehow isn't going to get to Michigan until this coming Wednesday???? Lame.

Glad you're better, I too would like to see any improvements.

I have a couple updates finally.

Wednesday I went on a driving tour in the Detroit area. For fun I hooked up the scanner so I could read IAT. Now mind you, I still don't have the pump hooked up and so there is no coolant at all in the system.....but despite that the IATs are already much lower with just the intercooler in place. It makes sense though, the intercooler would be a huge heat sink and slow the rise of the air temperature on its own. Where I would normally see over 200* easily when I floored the pedal I was just seeing mid-140s. I found that very interesting, but it made sense. So then I was watching my pyro gauge and likewise my EGTs were staying lower as well. Where I would normally be over 1100* I wasn't even making it to 1000*. I'm very excited about this, because my temps should be even lower of course once coolant is actually circulating through the system.

As a side note, I drove 340 miles that day....the first stint was 140 miles mostly on interstates. The first 100 were just driving with the cruise set at 77mph, but the last 40 or so I hit morning Detroit commuter traffic which was making me late to my rendezvous so I wasn't driving very easy. The next 60 miles was all in Detroit with much stop-and-go. The final 140 was interstates with the cruise set at 75 for almost the whole time. I averaged 16.92 mpg. I'm pretty happy with that all things considered - the only time I was driving easy was the first 100 miles and the last 140 and those were all above 70mph. I wish I had filled up in Detroit before I drove home so I could have gotten a true highway mpg reading because I'm sure I was over 20 mpg during that stint in order to achieve that average.

And finally...I finally received the pump yesterday! I've never seen such a slow shipment, but I have it now finally so that is good. It's a really cool pump, thanks for the tip Leroy! It has 3/4" hose inlets and outlets and is made by Bosch. It's a really nice compact size too, I was afraid it might be a bit bulky. The thing that threw me for a loop was the electrical connection on the pump: it has a really distinct configuration and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to find a plug to work correctly. I did some comparing to some existing harnesses I had lying around and I found that it was actually the same plug as an electronic fuel injector. So I went to Autozone and got a connector for a 1995 Bronco with a 302 (I'm sure other applications would have the same connector). The only thing I don't like is that the wire gauge is only 16 gauge and I would feel better if 14 gauge was powering the pump so I am going to see if I can rewire the connector today, otherwise I'll wire it up as-is and work toward the heavier gauge wire as an upgrade in the very near future. Currently the pump is mounted (sorry I don't have a picture of that, I will take one tonight when I finalize the installation) and all of the hoses are run. There is almost a gallon of coolant sitting in the system, but I know it will take more once I fire up the pump because I'm pretty sure there is some air trapped in the radiator and the intercooler right now that won't come out until things start circulating. I hope it isn't too hard getting the air out and that the little that may remain doesn't cause cavitation issues. We'll see.
Water pump 1.jpg Water pump 2.jpg Water pump 3.jpg Water pump 4.jpg Water pump 5.jpg Water pump 6.jpg Water pump 7.jpg Water pump 8.jpg Water pump 9.jpg Water pump 10.jpg

Back