• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I'm back with a keeper. .

wow, sucks on the starter, rims, health....
i've been a diabetic for 40 years now as i'm 52. i have my share of health problems.
my truck was down for 4 years and just recently got it going. it's down again, partly from sitting so long.
i've recently retired/resigned for 5 months now and haven't found a job yet. just hit our 12th anniversary,
and it's my 3rd one.
what i'm saying is, i feel for you.

wow, sucks on the starter, rims, health....
i've been a diabetic for 40 years now as i'm 52. i have my share of health problems.
my truck was down for 4 years and just recently got it going. it's down again, partly from sitting so long.
i've recently retired/resigned for 5 months now and haven't found a job yet. just hit our 12th anniversary,
and it's my 3rd one.
what i'm saying is, i feel for you.

Thank you, I also feel for you. Life is full of its ups and down and sometimes I can't tell the difference between up, down or left & right but I just keep my head high and keep going. Life is what you make of it and the mind is a very powerful thing.

Well as I mentioned I just got my truck back up and running. Yesterday and today I got stuck with it twice. I think it's my starter I bought from Nappa. They sold me three different starters and the last one they said is the one for my truck but they told me it was for a 1989 and now the only way I can get my Suburban to start is by tapping on the selenoid as my girl starts it. So now tomorrow I have to go see what they are going to do for me. Can anyone tell me the right starter for my truck please because this sucks just one more problem I really don't want to deal with.

They sold you a starter for a 6.2, which should work, but the remanufacturers anymore use crap parts made in China and assembled in there or some other Third World country. Starter solenoids seem to be the universal weak link among them. Best bet is to get a refund from NAPA and buy a new Powermaster starter.

They sold you a starter for a 6.2, which should work, but the remanufacturers anymore use crap parts made in China and assembled in there or some other Third World country. Starter solenoids seem to be the universal weak link among them. Best bet is to get a refund from NAPA and buy a new Powermaster starter.

Thank you, they even took my old starter which was my core. I am not quite sure how to work something out with them. I am not the type of person that likes confrontation but I am not looking forward to dealing with these guys because I know that once they get your money they usually never want to give it back. Can you send me a link for the powermaster starter? I would appreciate it very much. Thank you Husker6.5

Its powermaster 9052.
Summit and jegs sell then for $320 free shipping.
If you are good at online searching or deal with a local hotrod shop you can find better deals.

3 weeks ago amazon had them for $240 and free shipping. I just couldnt spend the $- window shopping.

If you cant afford it, get the AC Delco pro series one from rockauto.

You got a beauty, and it looks like a lot of needed improvements have already been made - congrats.

I never before owned a GM 6.5 TD diesel, and didn't know where to start. This forum has been a tremendous source of extremely valuable info. I wouldn't have known what was most important to do in what order without research done here. I bought a C2500 city utility department truck that had some important mod's and repair work already complete, but things that didn't fail inspection or keep it off the road were ignored. You can't overestimate the value of the information here, or the quantity of knowledge. This resource plus internet searches and youtube videos (Leroy has some good ones) inspired by it, will get you all you need to know and save you money by keeping you from going down expensive paths you don't need to go down. You're in for an education. Happy wrenching!

What bracket are you all talking about my truck doesn't have one.
That’s the one we're talking about. It goes over that stud on the back end of the starter near where the solenoid mounts, and the other end of the bracket bolts into that hole in the block above the back end of the starter. It serves two critical functions. First, it helps support the heavy weight of the starter so it isn't "hanging" off of the two front mounting bolts and prevents deflection of the starter case to help keep the armature shaft in proper alignment with the bushings to prevent abnormal wear/dragging. Second, it helps to absorb the torque load of the starter when it engages so that it doesn't try to twist itself apart under the stress, which will also prevent misalignment of the armature. See @WarWagon 's signature. He isn't kidding. These starters make more torque than some small 4 cylinder car engines.

the 93 had a broken ear which i knew before hand. ended up pulling that engine. there was nothing else wrong with it. the bracket was welded and had a LOT of slack.

it was hokey and destined to fail.
broken ear, PO's bad attempt to fix.

which led to this.

Last edited:
Wow, that is so shitty. I haven't used the truck today. Tomorrow I'm am going to pick up the bracket and also Nappa ordered me a 1993 diesel starter for me to try. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed.

we had rain yesterday also and temps dropped to 21 last night. still walked around in shorts though. too chilly to work on the truck but did get some parts to get it back together.
glad you got the bracket.

Back