• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I'm back with a keeper. .

Yeah I worked on mine in the rain to remove the 1989 starter but after getting the new starter and the bracket I was running a 101 fever so really wasn't feeling up to getting back out there under her in the wet cold to get her done!

When I wake up as long as it's not raining or snowing I'll be installing the new starter with the bracket this time. I just hope I have no more starting issues with this new starter. Going to keep my fingers crossed and hope it's the right one.

I hope you all have a great night or day.

Got my bracket today and the right starter according to Nappa. Just raining here so gonna have to wait to install them. Hope you all are doing good.
In my opinion, I would ask Napa for my money back and get a Gearmaster - Unless you are in a bind for time - then do what you have to.

As mentioned before - it seems to me the rebuilt starters from any of the major parts stores are - In my opinion -pretty much crap

In my opinion, I would ask Napa for my money back and get a Gearmaster - Unless you are in a bind for time - then do what you have to.

As mentioned before - it seems to me the rebuilt starters from any of the major parts stores are - In my opinion -pretty much crap
I concur on that. NAPA USED to be the Gold Standard for automotive replacement parts. They are now, in general, NO better than the cheap quality of the other discount parts stores, just pricier because of the NAPA name.

Either buy a new Power Master or AC Delco, or have a reputable local auto electric company rebuild your starter. I had my '94's rebuilt locally by a shop that's been in business for 50 years. It cost me $168, but they replaced the worn bushings with bearings, polished the commutator and installed heavy-duty brushes, springs and retainers, a new bendix and new solenoid. It spins faster and draws less amps than the old one ever did in the six years I ran the old one before it gave out at 210,000 on the odometer (don't know if it was the original starter, but it was AC Delco). A big plus, Fred's puts a lifetime guarantee on their rebuilt heavy duty starters.

Thanks guys I didn't install the starter from napa today after reading jrsavoie comment. I just don't know if Nappa will issue a refund. I don't like confrontation so if they refuse me a refund I will not know how to handle the situation.

If they refuse you a refund, accidently drop it on their toe. Then ask for a refund again. If they do not give you a refund, call corporate.

Usually there are no issues. For the most part they want your future business which is usually worth far more than the part at hand.

If they jack you around, demand a load test on the starter to see how many amps it draws.

I have seen some of the starters the parts stores sell sitting side by side with A good one. They look completely different - and yet the same somehow. LOL

They just look like a wimpier version. Stuff is not the same. And the internals are skimped on

Lmfao drop it on their toe huh? With my luck they will call the police and my a$$ will be in jail for assault! They special ordered it in and that's why I am wondering if they would give me my hard earned money back. But if they do I'm going with the powermaster! So once again my fingers will be crossed. lol I'll find out this morning what the outcome will be. Just a few questions about the powermaster. From the googling I've done I read the wires might need to be replaced due to length issues. No biggie but will it have the support bracket work with it?

Thanks for all the replies. Damn jrsavoie I was just looking over your signature. Your a damn well 6.5 whore! Do you own all those 6.5 trucks or are some trucks you've sold... etc...

Okay well my fiancé and I just got back from Nappa they gave me a full refund of $298.00 including my core charge because they sent back my Original starter. Now I'm going to order the powermaster 5092 or the gear master. What's the difference between the two!

Okay I just ordered the power master 9052 for $272.00 from a website called Jet.com. Once it arrives well... I'll have my Suburban back up and running. :)

I think somebody had a case of Oldheimer's and called the Powermaster the gearmaster, as I have never heard of a geramaster brand starter. But, I will not speak to another's senility, or lack thereof, on this forum. LOL!

I think somebody had a case of Oldheimer's and called the Powermaster the gearmaster, as I have never heard of a geramaster brand starter. But, I will not speak to another's senility, or lack thereof, on this forum. LOL!

Whoops. Sorry about that. It was me wasn't it? Dang the old timers disease.

Thanks for all the replies. Damn jrsavoie I was just looking over your signature. Your a damn well 6.5 whore! Do you own all those 6.5 trucks or are some trucks you've sold... etc...

I am not a whore! - I think Tricky Dick said that first.

I'm more of a 6.5 gigolo.

The old 89 was retired and sold several years ago at 800,000 miles. I moved it from one spot in the yard to another. Went out 2 weeks later and it was locked up. I wasn't able at the time to look at it and see what happened. I was always curious as to if it was just hydrolocked or something. Odd that it went from runing fine to being locked up.

All the others have a lot more miles on them since I last updated my sig. Mostly between 295,000 and 360,000 miles each.

The 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2.8 diesel only has about 180,000 miles on it

Whoops. Sorry about that. It was me wasn't it? Dang the old timers disease.

I am not a whore! - I think Tricky Dick said that first.

I'm more of a 6.5 gigolo

All the others have a lot more miles on them since I last updated my sig. Mostly between 295,000 and 360,000 miles each.

The 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2.8 diesel only has about 180,000 miles on it

Lmao okay I feel ya you 6.5 gigolo. From what you typed maybe it's time you update your sig!

And all of those miles just driving around in circles in your yard!

Damn I wonder how many full circles it would take to get up to 800,000 miles that he had on that 89!

Okay so as I mentioned I ordered my power master starter. I am looking to buy some 2/0 gauge strand wire to make my own battery cables so when I get my new starter I also have brand new battery cables. How many feet of cable would I need!

I have some in my cart on Amazon. There was also quite a bit on Ebay when I was searching. I prefer battery cable over welding cable. Especially for the positive connections.

I also run another OEM style alternator cable to the battery that does not have one going to it.

I got my cable ends from Waytekwire.com

I'm not sure how many feet you would need. I would do some rough measuring and get plenty. I always buy extra because I have a bunch of old stuff and it all needs cables

Okay so as I mentioned I ordered my power master starter. I am looking to buy some 2/0 gauge strand wire to make my own battery cables so when I get my new starter I also have brand new battery cables. How many feet of cable would I need!
PT Wiring Solutions here on the Forum makes awesome complete custom sets for our 6.5s, he's a NASCAR wiring guru in real life, so you know how high-speed awesome and heavy gauge the wiring and connectors are, and it's all assembled using professional grade hardware and techniques.

Back