• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Going mechanical with a Moose Omega Marine IP

Knight Rider, Dukes of Hazzard, A-team, Air Wolf and Fall Guy......golden age of television right there (as long as you could turn certain parts of your brain off - the parts that say, "come on, THAT can't happen!!!").

I bought a used set of GM 3.42 gears off Ebay yesterday. Soon I need to go to the junkyard and get another 14 bolt axle to rebuild and an IFS center section with 3.42 gears.

You mean that you're not going to try and rebuild the IFS with a 3.42 ring and pinion yourself? You realize for peace of mind you're going to have to open up that salvage yard unit and go through it just to make sure everything is ok and clearances are within spec. If you're going to do that, you might as well save the money of buying the front center section and just buy a 3.42 R&P and install it.

You mean that you're not going to try and rebuild the IFS with a 3.42 ring and pinion yourself? You realize for peace of mind you're going to have to open up that salvage yard unit and go through it just to make sure everything is ok and clearances are within spec. If you're going to do that, you might as well save the money of buying the front center section and just buy a 3.42 R&P and install it.
You do make a valid point, however I think I'd rather have the reduced downtime of having the center section ready to go and just do a swap. Yes I will for sure be opening up and inspecting the unit to make sure it's ok and installing new seals.

Does anybody know if there are upgrade options for the center section? Years to look out for (good or bad)?

You do make a valid point, however I think I'd rather have the reduced downtime of having the center section ready to go and just do a swap. Yes I will for sure be opening up and inspecting the unit to make sure it's ok and installing new seals.

Does anybody know if there are upgrade options for the center section? Years to look out for (good or bad)?
I suspect you can only get a locker for the 9.25" ifs diff.

I suspect you can only get a locker for the 9.25" ifs diff.
Oh! I'm sorry, what I meant by "upgrade" was "is it better to get a 1999 diff because _______?" or.....

But yeah, I'm not sure there are aftermarket upgrades for it, and for how I use the truck I'm not sure I need a locker or anything in the front. Thank you for thinking of that though!

Oh! I'm sorry, what I meant by "upgrade" was "is it better to get a 1999 diff because _______?" or.....

But yeah, I'm not sure there are aftermarket upgrades for it, and for how I use the truck I'm not sure I need a locker or anything in the front. Thank you for thinking of that though!
There is an aftermarket live axle conversion for pass side, as cases go I'm thinking somewhere around 99 they added better pinion oiling by extending the drivers side case with oil galley to the outer pinion bearing....

Go full-out and do a solid axle Dana 60 conversion with it! Freewheeling lockout hubs will give you better mpg's, but you have to get out to lock your hubs is the down side.

Other than the increased wind resistance from the lift required for the D60 and the tires that naturally get bigger when the lift goes on.

I have one of those, but it's for a different project
I've seen some conversions using that diff that needed only about 4" lift and had cushy ride too, they are expensive and IMO the next best thing is the DANA 80 steering conversion but big $$$$ is need for that one.

Did the Moose pump change the RPM limit at all? I'm wondering how I could squeeze a few more RPM without it feeling like it just shuts off. I have thought of a different cam also, but haven't found one that's already ground.

Back