• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Going mechanical with a Moose Omega Marine IP

I swapped the electronic boost controller for the mechanical one last night. I've only driven it a little with it in place and I'm still dialing in the settings that I want, but it's pretty cool being able to alter the characteristics of the truck from the driver's seat. Initially it even feels like I may be able to come up with a setting that is a better compromise between smoke and performance as well, so that is encouraging. I'll get some videos going soon.

Road trip this weekend. The initial leg was 473 miles. The first 300-ish was interstate with the cruise set at 75 (though there was a fair amount of construction too). The last bit was back roads in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and bumming around St Ignace. I averaged 18.5 mpg. I was hoping for closer to 20 but I'll take it. I did notice that once I hit the elevation changes in the upper lower peninsula the gauge was going down more quickly so I think that's part of the problem (I have Leroy's Metrum rod which gives a linear measurement unlike the factory sending unit). I'll see what I get on the way home in 2 days.

image.png

Watch that right foot carefully! The temptation to use that build to "play" around town or on rural roads can affect your milage more than you think. I'm really interested to see what your 75mph steady-state Interstate driving MPG's are like.

Watch that right foot carefully! The temptation to use that build to "play" around town or on rural roads can affect your milage more than you think. I'm really interested to see what your 75mph steady-state Interstate driving MPG's are like.
Play?? Me?? Never!! Ha. I will do my best to get a good steady state run in.

Drives me nuts when someone blasts up on me in other lane then hangs out just behind my door in the blind spot! then after a minute speed off WTF!! happens a lot too!

Maybe the highways will be better when there are more self-driving cars....I'm guessing that will just have its own set of problems though.

I got 18 and change on a cruise-only trip to Cape Cod a few weeks ago. 70 on mainland and 55 on Cape. I had gotten 23 last year with my HX35. I think the 23 was a fluke though. I'm not sure how I managed it. I would think with your gearing you would get 20+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok I drove home today and I have some mileage updates. I filled up more frequently so I could keep the segment with the hills out of the mix.

First leg: St. Ignace, MI to Grayling, MI. 91.45 miles and 5.217 gallons. 17.53mpg.

Second leg: Grayling to Marshall, MI. 194.10 miles and 10.525 gallons. 18.44mpg.

So it wasn't any better, but does show that the elevation was hurting me. I even left the AC off until about halfway through the second segment. I thought it would be better just from the gravitational advantage of driving from North to South! :D;)

I know I could get better if I slowed down (I still had the cruise set at 75mph) but I wasn't really interested in that. The next time I get tires I think I'll go 265/75 (I'm running 265/70s right now) to slow the engine down a little (I was spinning 2350 at 75). Really though, a 6000 pound truck booking along at 75 and still getting 18.5mpg isn't anything to scoff at. My 300 straight 6 in a 4700 pound truck struggles to get 15 on the highway.

Also, as an FYI, it was around 75*F today and my flatland EGT and boost were 570* and 3.6psi.

What gears do you have in it? I run 3.42's and only turn 1900 at 70, and my od ratio is only slightly taller than yours. You could help your mpg on the highway by dropping your boost back to 1-2 psi.

What gears do you have in it? I run 3.42's and only turn 1900 at 70, and my od ratio is only slightly taller than yours. You could help your mpg on the highway by dropping your boost back to 1-2 psi.
I'm running 3.73s. I always liked my gearing before overall, especially out of the hole on the street, but now that I have more power I'm starting to feel like I could get away with 3.42s. I had to set the trans controller to short shift 1-2 to get my performance right.

I would like my boost to be lower on the highway, but I'm not sure how to realistically achieve that with my mechanical setup. Any thoughts on how to achieve that? Of course if I had a higher gear and was spinning lower rpm then I'd have lower boost. Maybe that's the answer. I'm not really excited about the idea of swapping the front diff though. I've never done one, so maybe it realy isn't that bad to do?

Back