• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Clacking noise

Seriously JB Weld doesn't fix it.

Post #92. ⚓ for parts.

I really liked that truck. I came in just shortly before You put it on the market.
I think My engine starts easy, that one has it beat by at least a couple of revolves. LOL

A "Powermaster 9052" starter for 6.2 and 6.5

@ak diesel driver also logged cranking RPM with one recently.

Okay, so I used a stethoscope to pinpoint my noises, and the clacking noise seems to be coming out of the turbo area. Another thing about the noise you don't really hear it until you put it in drive and accelerate. When you put the stethescope on the turbo you can hear the noise at idle. I took the hose off where it connects to the turbo and the was oil and some crud inside. I'm assuming that shouldn't be in there. I listened where the rocker arms are and at the injectors and it sounded like there was some knocking, but I'm also not sure what it should sound like normally.

Attachments

• 20191026_162525.jpg
    20191026_162525.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20191026_162533.jpg
    20191026_162533.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20191026_162618.jpg
    20191026_162618.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 7
Make sure the turbo waste gate isn’t somehow making the noise.

Less likely is: Grab the nut on the turbo with thumb and finger. Try to wiggle it to see if there is any free play. There shouldn’t be.

The oil is crankcase oil getting sucked out of the crankcase through the cdr. The oil isnt good for the turbo, but only shortens is life minimally- not enough to think twice about.

No clacking should come from the turbo- what you are probably hearing is the sound of the valves, injectors, etc coming through the exhaust manifold and being turned into an echo chamber in the turbo. If you remove the turbo, the sound would be more traceable. If you remove it and the sound is gone and is the turbo- its about to go grenade. But that would require the movement spoken of earlier and wound be the turbo wheel(s) hitting the housing.

The valve train, like from collapsed lifters or rocker arms heavily worn are more likely to be the clacking.
A video would help.

Make sure the turbo waste gate isn’t somehow making the noise.

Less likely is: Grab the nut on the turbo with thumb and finger. Try to wiggle it to see if there is any free play. There shouldn’t be.

The oil is crankcase oil getting sucked out of the crankcase through the cdr. The oil isnt good for the turbo, but only shortens is life minimally- not enough to think twice about.

No clacking should come from the turbo- what you are probably hearing is the sound of the valves, injectors, etc coming through the exhaust manifold and being turned into an echo chamber in the turbo. If you remove the turbo, the sound would be more traceable. If you remove it and the sound is gone and is the turbo- its about to go grenade. But that would require the movement spoken of earlier and wound be the turbo wheel(s) hitting the housing.

The valve train, like from collapsed lifters or rocker arms heavily worn are more likely to be the clacking.
A video would help.
So you can run the engine without the turbo on?

So I didn't much concern to the missing air filter minder because I assumed it wasn't missing long. Then you posted that UGLY Turbo picture with the ugly dirt on the "Inside"! This engine has been dusted bad. The grit you feel in the turbo intake has ground up the rings, pistons and cylinder walls. Further the dirt is embeded and will cause wear from here on out. Only a rebuild can remove it. Yeah, you are correct that it should not be there. :yuck: Regardless you can try and enjoy what life this engine has in it. Cleaning the intake manifold, upper and lower, turbo, and intake tube will help.

I am afraid to ask, but, what does the blowby look like with the oil fill cap off and engine running?

On the turbo: does it look like the turbo wheel has been grinding the housing? I can't tell from the picture.

Here is a video of the engine running with the oil cap off. You can't really see the smoke but there is some coming out although it's not an awful lot.https://youtu.be/NJdZn5nBgN0 And here's another video of the engine running againhttps://youtu.be/onsxtiIDKG0I have no idea how long the minder has been off. We have had the truck ten years and I don't ever remember seeing it in there. I know for sure it hasn't been in for the last 4-5 years. The nut on the turbo was not loose. I not sure if has been grinding, it is pretty shiny which makes me think that it has; although it doesn't look damaged or anything.

Can you post the videos again. Looks like they got joined with the sentences and didn’t make a link.

The starter video makes me wonder if the flexplate is cracked or damaged making a noise? ( The starter is for sure a problem and is due for replacement. )

Not bad for blowby at all. Noise from the oil fill is "normal" with a chain.

On the turbo Can you see if the turbine blade is shining up the turbo housing aka wearing into it? You can't tell from feel if the bearings are gone, but, the wheels rubbing is a clear sign the bearings are shot. Indicated in the picture where to look.

Injectors with high miles were already scheduled for replacement or rebuild. When doing that you will be needing to "take a look" under the passenger side valve cover. So turbo comes off anyway. Put it's oil line into the oil fill and secure it. Or better yet plug the oil feed hose line off at the block. Then you can run the engine without the turbo on.

Then with the turbo off, injection lines off, valve cover off take a look. I bet the valve cover gasket is leaking anyway. You can run the engine if you need too with the cover off by reconnecting the injection lines, but, it's an oily mess.

It could be a shot injector firing making the noise. But again it sounds camshaft lifter tick noise too me. A powerstroke event is the same speed as the cam thus injector suspect... You can loosen one nut at a time on the passinger injector lines (I would do it engine off then start it.) and see if it makes a difference. The loose line won't fire that injector.

turbo_grit.jpg

Last edited:
It does look like it's shining the housing up. Thanks for all the info. I just want to make sure this engine is not to far gone before I start putting a whole lot more money into it.

Attachments

• 20191029_183756.jpg
    20191029_183756.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 5
  • 20191029_183747.jpg
    20191029_183747.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 5
What is the rest of the truck like? What is it used for?

Before spending ANY money do the following:

I would run the engine without the turbo and check for the noise. Then do the loosen injector line nut trick to see IF it's injector noise. Rotate noisy injector with another cylinder to make sure noise follows injector.

Then inspect under valve cover.

I assume you have taken the belt off and spun everything by hand?

Back