• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Clacking noise

Chevy6.5

Reaction score
There is a clacking noise coming out of the engine around the alternator and vaccum pump area. It gets louder when you accelerate. I don't know if it could be a pulley or if a bad vaccum pump or alternator would make that noise. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I think I've determined that it's the vaccum pump, is that important to replace right away or can I let it go for a little while.

It would help if you fill out your signature line with vehicle details. ak diesel driver above is a great example how to list it/them.

Your turbo wont work without it. If it fails completely you can throw the belt, loosening water pump drive and blow the engine from overheating in a matter of minutes.
Depending on vehicle possibly no hvac controls.

It will blow a lot of black smoke, contaminate the engine oil and cause a lot of unnecessary wear on the internal engine components.
Easy to change out, dont need to remove the fan, it can be unbolted and lifted right out of there. I dont remember the price though, replaced Mine a while back.

So the clacking noise was not the vaccum pump; but it did fix my loose steering wheel and week brakes, on a side note. Could the noise be something with the turbo? It doesn't happen all the time, mainly when I first start it up or when I accelerate. I'll attach a video. You can really hear it towards the end. I think I got oil on the camera lens is why it's so blurry. I'll have to post the video tommorow, my internet connection is slow right now. Lol

Um vac pump fix brakes and steering? Maybe if belt was loose and he tighten it? Make power steering pump run better and in turn his hydro boost ?

I guess I don't understand, how did it fix the steering and brakes?
The steering was really loose and the brakes were kinda weak; after I replaced the pump the steering wheel firmed up and the brakes weren't so weak. Although I remember now that I also filled up the power steering, which was low. I guess that could have had an effect on it too. Sorry if I'm not explaining very well, still learning how to fix these things.

Any chance he's hearing a injector sticking?
After some research I believe your right. I saw guys having similar knocking noises and it was the injectors. Thanks for the help. Are the injectors family easy to replace? They've never been changed in the ten years that we've had the truck.

Haven't done them in mine yet (desperately need to soon) but they basically seem pretty straight forward. Kinda like changing a spark plug. Although the back 2 on passenger side look like they could be a pain. I'd order a set from Leroy diesel (I'm going to) if I were you. He's one of our vendor's on here and very reputable. He sells a set of new ones extremely reasonable. Bosch brand. And you might want to consider doing your glow plugs too. Do not get cheap on injectors or glow plugs..guys on here can tell you horror stories of the damage done to there engines by inferior parts. And future reference. Anything electrical, get a/c Delco brand only... These trucks electrical systems are touchy. And other brands of electrical parts WILL fail quickly if not immediately and cause you to look for a different problem because you think the part you changed wasn't the prob. (Then turns out that that new part was defective).

I have been putting some Lucus fuel injector cleaner in recently. I think it was helping, may need to put some more in. Thanks for the info. Have an electrical problem that I could use some advice on, will probably do a post on it soon.

Guys are going to tell at me for this...get some Diesal kleen. get the gray bottle that says octane booster + ceaten. Run it double strength thru two tanks of fuel. Then run it regular strength in every tank after that. It's approved and endorsed by Cummins. and one of their reps is the one that told me to run it double strength through a couple of tanks to get the engine cleaned out good.

I have been putting some Lucus fuel injector cleaner in recently. I think it was helping, may need to put some more in. Thanks for the info. Have an electrical problem that I could use some advice on, will probably do a post on it soon.

If you have over 100K on the injectors I suggest you PARK IT NOW until you confirm if is an injector and replace the set. The "cute avatar" pic of mine is from a failed injector burning the engine down. It literally still ran on 7 of 8 with a mix of coolant and oil in the crankcase and a little oil (nothing else) in the cooling system.

Check the carnage out and then understand why I say PARK IT!!! https://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/6-5-carnage.39865/

Injectors need to have new nozzles put in around 100K miles. ~$500 for a good set of rebuilt injectors. Communist China nozzles last about 30K miles and are not well liked here...

Do you know if this Lucas cleaner has alcohol in it? You don't want anything that de-ices or disperses water as that picks up any water settled out in the fuel tank and feeds it to the injectors and injector pump: a bad thing.

The only thing diesel injection systems are concerned with are lube and not gelling the fuel. Cleaners are for a real need and won't fix worn out parts. Lube has been known to help.

Back