• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Clacking noise

A quality test gauge is always best when questioning oil pressure.

GM gauges Suuuuuuuccccck!!! Might need one more u.

Oil and filter are ok- figured I’d ask incase it’s recycled oil or some $0.84 filter.

Reading past F for fuel... So the fuel level sensor is shot in the fuel tank. Common.

Mechanical oil pressure gauge because so many engines and transmissions get rebuilt over a bad sender or gauge. The OPS, oil pressure sender, is a common part to replace. For the fuel pump contacts, but, the oil pressure side also fails.

You actually have two separate noises of concern going on at idle speed.

One is a low speed tick at camshaft speed. Like an exhaust leak at the manifold or somewhere pre-turbo. Lifter tick is what it sounds like so valvetrain problem. This includes power stroke problems, but, IMO the sound is valve train metallic. Lost a rocker button?

The louder video has a high speed noise. Is the engine fan hitting the trans cooler lines? Belt comes off and grab each pulley to feel it for a gone/rough bearing. Spin to see if it makes noise.

With the combined noise the timing chain is suspect. Any oil leaks?

Always inspect the rubber dampers. One for the engine and one for the belt drive on the crankshaft. Any cracked rubber?

Did you save the old oil filter? Cut it open and look for part numbers. (Lots of metal in the element...)

The part missing @Jaryd pointed out is the air filter minder. It would be useful to inspect the turbo to see if it ate parts of the minder.

@WarWagon You nailed it I think. I was leaning towards lifter/rocker arm noise but thought belt noise was masking something for a minute and couldn’t tell what was going on. Thats why I said about removing belt. I didn’t add up the tensioner, idler pulley, etc noise could be one sound and the other on too.

It’s so hard not being there- When I work on stuff I never tried explaining anything, I just dive in and start ripping parts off or throwing a meter onto connectors.

@Will L. Didn't crank long enough to really tell, but, I really didn't like the way it started and came off the starter spitting the starter off at high speed. Spinning fast enough, but, I couldn't say if it spun past a dead hole or fired and missed from bad injectors like I ran into. Possible held the key in start too long.

Okay, it's been a long day. I haven't had a chance to try any of the things you've suggested, but I plan on it first chance I get. It does have an oil leak, it's not to major, but it is a leak. And the starter is going out, that's probably what you were hearing when it started up. It dosent usauly hesitate to start. There are times when the starter will just spin 10 times in a row before it starts. Today the oil pressure was fine, it was right around 10- 15 at hot idle. But on the way home it was going back down to 0 at idle. My check gauges light also came on.

Ehhh...better to pinpoint location before you start tearing it apart. Get a mechanic stethoscope ...there pretty cheap. With that you can pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from. Id be concerned with where the oil is coming from to. Might just be back of the valve cover which your going to end up pulling off anyhow.engines leak.but where from can point to a bigger problem.
Off subject but have you changed your oil cooler hoses? Or better yet the oil cooler and hoses..the hoses fail without warning and engines bone dry before you know it happened. And when you fix the starter there's a bracket that's VERY important. Make sure it's there. Others can be more specific. I just know from these guys to make sure you have it..

Okay, I've ordered a mechanic stethoscope and will for sure pin point the location before I tear it apart. Thanks for the advice. A few years back (when the truck was my dad's), he hit a buck and the antlers pierced the oil cooler, I'm not for sure all that he had replaced. It looks like oil has been leaking around there too, not sure if it's a hose or a connection. Will plan on checking that out too.

I'm not sure what bracket your talking about. I had the starter off a couple of weeks ago and don't remember any bracket.

At the back of the starter there is 2 long bolts that go up into the block. At the front of the starter there is one bolt that goes to a little bracket that looks like a chopped up piece of tiny angle iron which bolts to the block.

If you are missing it, the starter can rip the ear of the block clean off turning the engine into a boat anchor. 0991378E-2DD2-4E3E-A8FA-9FB386F284DC.jpeg

Seriously JB Weld doesn't fix it.

Post #92. ⚓ for parts.

DSCN3960.JPG

I really appreciate all the help you guys have been, I wouldn't have known where to start without your help. Now I just have to find time to work on this truck.

Back