• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

AMG P400 long block $6950.

Everything about the P400 is heavier duty.

Main girddle, forged crank, rods, heavy duty pistons, metallurgy......and its all brand new (not rebuilt) not sure if heads would be different though??

Heads were redone as well with better alloy mixes and castings. From what I've gleaned, the heads were actually first having been tested in Afghanistan where the military was killing the the old design in connex loads each month. After several months of testing, the blocks got the works too.

The P-400's oil pan is part of the lower end strengthening and the old pans aren't interchangeable. Not exactly sure why either but, at a minimum there's a difference in bolt patterns which would be easily overcome so there's something between the old and new blocks making the new pan a necessary inclusion. I've heard of a couple of designs out there to making them work for both the C and the K models. Mostly it's been write ups that involved modification or have a 'one-off' made for you.

My mind is thinking to build an adapter flange so the old pan could be used. Without having a p400 to mock up on though I can't do it. Anyone want to buy me a p400? and I'll make you an oil pan :hihi:

This is what I have at the moment.

0996 Block.jpgIMG_1004.jpg

Can get more pics when I finally get the Burb back.

Do not know what the C's pan looks like as it came off prior to final shipment to me (and the break-in oil was removed too). So, need to find another volunteer for pic's of a C's pan . . .

For figuring out whether there are bolt pattern differences for a Optimizer and P-400, will gladly compare if somebody sends me an Optimizer pan :hihi:

And agree that older Optimizer's will have variances in several areas due to the learning curve from combat in the desert; again, this is on an older block and not what I am reading about with the new blocks. Some new motors also might have differences in terms of internals that are driven by purchaser requirements, but am not reading where there are differences in the block outside of a 3" girdle on the P-400. Naturally, am open to somebody checking with the manufacturer and correcting me :)

This is what I have at the moment.

View attachment 42055View attachment 42056

Can get more pics when I finally get the Burb back.

Do not know what the C's pan looks like as it came off prior to final shipment to me (and the break-in oil was removed too). So, need to find another volunteer for pic's of a C's pan . . .

For figuring out whether there are bolt pattern differences for a Optimizer and P-400, will gladly compare if somebody sends me an Optimizer pan :hihi:

And agree that older Optimizer's will have variances in several areas due to the learning curve from combat in the desert; again, this is on an older block and not what I am reading about with the new blocks. Some new motors also might have differences in terms of internals that are driven by purchaser requirements, but am not reading where there are differences in the block outside of a 3" girdle on the P-400. Naturally, am open to somebody checking with the manufacturer and correcting me :)
I sure would like to have that engine on the left in my shop.:Justwait2: What paint color is that called on the engine block? Looks good!

Looks like Cummins red:eek:
and people give me a hard time about Ford blue, mine is A/C Delco blue!

So the P400 is considered a 506? or is that 2 different engines?
I have the Optimizer pan off mine that I could get pics of if you think it would help?

The two pic's are the same engine, just at different points in the paint job.

Yes, the P-400 is a 506 block with the 3" girdle.

And the block color is POR-15 Maroon ;)

Pics of the Optimizer pan might work. Will post more pics of the P-400 (K) pan soon so we can compare.

Where are you getting the "forged steel crankshaft" information from? GEP's website states "cast nodular iron" as the crank material, with only the cam and conn rods being forged... http://www.amgeneral.com/vehicles/gep/specifications.php

ETA: the linked site is also posting 205 hp/440 tq numbers...

First off, you have to compare apples to apples. An Optimizer is the engine you've spec'd out, a P400 is the mother of all 6.5's. Forged crank, bed plate etc.

http://www.peninsulardiesel.com/WP-PENTEST/?page_id=250

Yes, it is.

Here is the dets: Gm made the 6.2 n/a. Later the 6.5 n/a. Then 6.5 turbo. Next GEP bought the tooling and rights and made 6.5 n/a and turbo models.Then the GEP "6500 optimizer" which is an upgraded #506 6.5. Finally they offer the p400. (please read p400 in gold with flashing lights around it and a halo on top as it is the end all be all of this platform).

They are all the same engine conceptually, and most parts interchange, but various changes through the years have made some better than others.

BTW, Welcome to the forum. Fill out your signature about your ride and start a thread about it and your hopes, dreams and problems with it. We are all here to help each other and would enjoy the same for you. Massive knowledge is in the stickys, I suggest a thorough reading for buckets-o-knowledge.

Thanks for the welcome. I have been lurking since a couple years ago when I was attempting to buy a 1998 k2500 6.5. Currently looking at a 1998 Burb 6.5.

So one more question... Why does AMG's GEP site not have any information on the P400? As mentioned above, Peninsular has some information on it, but as far as AMG is concerned, it seems to be a bit of a ghost.

Please watch the non supporting vendor hot links. Im a bit offended by them.

If I can answer any questions or if you find it for a better price let me know.

Oh damn, I wish I had of known about you selling the P400 earlier on, I had a 2001 GMT400 C3500 down here in Australia which used to be an ambulance once upon a time:

1614207_1468600033373428_9046336027713730107_o.jpg

I wanted to do some power upgrades but I ended up selling it, and I regret it every day :(

I would have been keen on a P400 especially since the exchange rate was dollar for dollar back then in 2013/2014.

Oh damn, I wish I had of known about you selling the P400 earlier on, I had a 2001 GMT400 C3500 down here in Australia which used to be an ambulance once upon a time:

1614207_1468600033373428_9046336027713730107_o.jpg

I wanted to do some power upgrades but I ended up selling it, and I regret it every day :(

I would have been keen on a P400 especially since the exchange rate was dollar for dollar back then in 2013/2014.

You have a good source for 6.5 stuff down under also, look up Bullet Diesel, they are down under also....

That was the plan, hopefully within the next year or so I'll be back riding in another C3500 with a 6.5 and we can see about a P400, and maybe one of those supercharger kits from Bullet Diesel, they seem reasonably priced.

The only problem is these vehicles are very rare on the ground down here, there are a still few in service, I'll approach the companies who still have them in service and see if they want to sell them to me.

Though with the P400 higher pressures I assume wouldn't be an issue given how much stronger the block is and turbo would be a better option.

Last edited:
Includes: Brand new long block, no core charge, forged steel crankshaft, forged rods, factory girdle, complete heads, Cam/Main/Rod Bearings, Camshaft, Oil Pump, Valves, Valve Springs, Valve Keepers, Valve Cover, Valve Guides, Timing Chain, Three Angle Valve Seats, Push Rods, Rocker Arms, Pistons, Piston Rings, and oil pan

250 HP Power Rating
550 LB-FT Torque Rating
Forged Steel Crankshaft,
Connecting Rods

Again this is all brand new, not rebuilt. You will need modified oil pan in a 4x4. I was told it will drop in a 2wd without moding the oil pan (can anyone confirm this?)

Email to buy [email protected]
I have the information that, P400 with original oil pan, works to Lifted 4X4 Truck/Suburban.....someone confirm?

Back