• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

AMG P400 long block $6950.

Yep now your talking my language FT and the FEM and will L, keeping coolant temps out of heart attack territory has been a very real challenge to say the least with genuine 56 deg C (133 F)` summer ambient temps towing a 2 ton trailer through heavy soft sands and over 30 ft sand hills. And yep your right for thinking why the bloody hell would anyone do that , we supply essential services to the remote desert aboriginal communities once a month on average for approx. 21 day trips, the bulldust is like talcum powder and when hitting the bulldust holes it rolls up and over the truck in slow motion like waves, needless to say we spend lots of time blowing out air filters,etc.
Sorry off topic a bit there lads but just to paint a picture of the engineering challengers that we have to manage to achieve the reliability to get us back home.
I have come across the waterless coolant articles a while back it sounds a very good invention but do we have enough anecdotal evidence about its effectiveness and its downsides if any.
I certainly get the oil being used as well as a secondary coolant system, that's in our design DNA.
As the square face area for the radiator is only 20 x 20 inches at the doghouse tunnel this area is suitable for the charge air intercooler only .
In summer the first two feet above the blistering sand is heart attack temperatures so we have re-designed a 2.5 inch thick cross flow radiator with three separate circuits for auto tranny(4l80e), oil and engine coolant that fits into the sun visor and is 6 ft long, 18 in wide made of ally. 40 gal/pm electric water pumps 20ff for engine glycol circulation one at engine outlet and the other up top on the downward supply side.
the engine oil cooler is a tube in shell heat exchanger mounted near the engine and is supplied with glycol flow from its own 38 gal/min electric pump.
Auto tranny same as engine oil cooling set up but only 5 gal/min pump.
4 x 16 in spahl 12 volt electric induced draft fans mounted on top of radiator .
t/stat controlled temps all round.
digital variable speed temp controller on fans and engine glycol cooling electic pumps, thermostats removed and impellors on mechanical water pump ground off and bypasses in t/stat housing blocked off.
I welcome your feedback.
No wonder you Aussies like your beer. I think I would rather 56 below with Whiskey?

A lot of truth in what you wrote NVW but crikey 56 below I can't imagine being in that,fair dinkum way to cold for this little vegemite and all cooling systems in reverse to what we have to do.But hey folks taming the desert, if you never never go you'll never never know, it's a hoot and boy doesnt a cold beer go down superb at the end of a hard day, curl ya mow for sure. Get lonely being so remote, nah just in our western, central and Gibson deserts there are estimated to be over half a million camels looking for company and a drink, ya gotta be happy with that.

A lot of truth in what you wrote NVW but crikey 56 below I can't imagine being in that,fair dinkum way to cold for this little vegemite and all cooling systems in reverse to what we have to do.But hey folks taming the desert, if you never never go you'll never never know, it's a hoot and boy doesnt a cold beer go down superb at the end of a hard day, curl ya mow for sure. Get lonely being so remote, nah just in our western, central and Gibson deserts there are estimated to be over half a million camels looking for company and a drink, ya gotta be happy with that.
Feral camels.........

yep FT as wild as they come the big bulls easily qualify for the general managers job of John Mcanrose charm school when the harems on heat if your out of your truck and unaware of a 2000 lb jadam about to hit, happens if you get in between him and her real fast. without a 308 your toast.

Reactions: NVW
I'll second that, I've been following the 6.2/6.5 diesel topic on Aust 4wd & for years I see cooling issues as a main topic.....
yeah you hit the nail on the head exactly FT, we have had varying success trying different engineering applications and the issues raised from all the responses are on the money for sure,will post pics tomorrow of our desert tamers in a new thread as requested with a full run down of our engineering experiences,thoughts and dreams,in the hope for a frank open discussion about others experiences etc and reap the full benefits of our collective intelligence in solving these age old over temps problems. cheers all Doc

Back