• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

AMG P400 long block $6950.

So what's it take to get 250 hp and 550 ft lbs torque?

An injection pump in good shape, and a tune to get it there. I believe the military had a custom injection pump made for them to get them to that HP level, but I'm sure a good DS4 could do it.

So what's it take to get 250 hp and 550 ft lbs torque?

I asked Peninsular that exact question (presumption that I used the ATT):
> Work with a tuner to reprogram the ECM.
> Injectors to 2,200 psi pop.

That was it for any guidance; of note, IIRC guidance for TDCO was to put the IP in the OE position. Naturally, am sure the un-spoken guidance was that all parts were in good health ;)

Will find out how Slim and Kojo did with the programming after the motor breaks-in.

OK acrank is very expensive, it just had a price jump. $1300!!

On the 250/550 #s Pretty much what Ferm said. You can throw more fuel and air at the P400 and its built to take it.
So a good tune, turbo, injectors will be the key elements.

Its more than I would spend also.

I had a guy from Australia very interested in one. We emailed back and forth all last Sunday eve. He even gave me his shipping Co details. He was asking me everything about a P400. Then he wanted me to confirm the price because he thought it was to low. I think he thought maybe I was trying to sell a CKO or something???
Anyway spent alot of time with him and on Monday I confirmed the price to him again. Whats weird Is I never heard from him again. Not even a "no thanks" or "kiss my a$$" nothing.
OH well just venting alittle.

Great!

Im building an optimizer for mine, but if I had it to do again I'd go with P400.

Everything about the P400 is heavier duty.

Main girddle, forged crank, rods, heavy duty pistons, metalurgy......and its all brand new (not rebuilt) not sure if heads would be different though??

Leroy, Congratulations on the first sale!!! :fest30:

Has anybody done a write up comparison of the two?

Is there really that much of a difference between the two engines?

It depends on whether buying a new or a pull / re-powered engine.

When I shopped for a new engine last Fall, the impression I got was that the only difference from the Optimizer HD to the P-400 (at least from Peninsular) was the 3" girdle on the P-400. There was a 'standard' Optimizer and I did not get details on it, so perhaps it had the regular strength parts. The price differentials from the 'standard' Optimizer, Optimizer HD, and P-400 were so close that the P-400 was an easy sell.

From what I had read, there was an earlier point (somewhere prior to 2010?) where the Optimizer could have come with a regular crank.

Too bad Leroy was not in the P-400 game when I needed a new motor as I would have tried harder to get gap-less rings in the build :hihi:

I have heard there working on a oil pan for the p400, for the c/k trucks.

C trucks will take the oil pan that comes from the factory. K trucks need a more expensive pan to clear the front differential; but with a suspension lift, might get away with the stock pan.

Jay, is it just the shape/depth of the pan thats different? Why can't a person reuse the stock pan.
I wish I had a P400 in my hands to go through the learning curve.

Penniscular has a pan for K trucks but its spendy.

Back