• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A Better Oil Catch Can. Maybe?

Quick update. My stainless steel scrubbers came in, and I was able to fit 1, and 1/2 of them into the catch can. I figure I've tested this catch can enough to know it works, so I went ahead, and installed the Gates hose on it, in place of the clear stuff. I think I will eventually upgrade to steel fitting, and relocate it under the truck, as its kind of ugly! :D
Here are a few pics.

Matt

Attachments

• 20150105_161845 (1024x576).jpg
    20150105_161845 (1024x576).jpg
    84 KB · Views: 39
  • 20150105_161827 (1024x576).jpg
    20150105_161827 (1024x576).jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 20150105_161944 (1024x576).jpg
    20150105_161944 (1024x576).jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20150105_162507 (1024x576).jpg
    20150105_162507 (1024x576).jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 20150105_164012 (1024x576).jpg
    20150105_164012 (1024x576).jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 20150105_164035 (1024x576).jpg
    20150105_164035 (1024x576).jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 37
So when you opened up the container to change metal was there much oil inside the cup?

I see it looks like its oily in one of the pictures. How about the scouring pad material was it oily?

So when you opened up the container to change metal was there much oil inside the cup?

I see it looks like its oily in one of the pictures. How about the scouring pad material was it oily?
There was about a teaspoon of oil in the bottom of the cup, and the scotchbrite was oily. This was with 1100 miles on it since the install.

Matt

Awesome. I wonder how it would do on a high blow by engine.

I have a high blow by motor. When I put on the HX35W I never re-mounted the CDR tube to the air supply to the turbo (all new intake silicone hoses, switch location of battery and air filter) because I didn't want the turbo to be loaded up with all the oil. Instead I used some extra tube and ran it down below the motor like the old road draft tubes. I frequently get somebody pulling up along side me at a stoplight and tell me they think I might be overheating, or even once they said I might be on fire.

I've been planning to make my own catch can, but you know how that goes. "Planning" takes a bit of time. I'll have to go back in this thread and find out where Matt got the catch can, and how much. Maybe I can afford to buy one. It's way past my pumpkin hour so I'll have to say good night and look up this info sometime tomorrow.

Don

Update 7/26. I installed this Mod quite some time ago, and figured I would post my findings. My truck won't start , so I am cleaning battery terminals and starter terminals. I had the air cleaner housing off and there was no oil at all where you usually see it. The catch can maybe has a half a teaspoon in it.
Thanks Matt.

Update 7/26. I installed this Mod quite some time ago, and figured I would post my findings. My truck won't start , so I am cleaning battery terminals and starter terminals. I had the air cleaner housing off and there was no oil at all where you usually see it. The catch can maybe has a half a teaspoon in it.
Thanks Matt.

Thats great news Rob. I have over 10k on this setup now, and its worked amazingly well. I had to replace the idler arm on my front end a couple weeks ago, which required removing my intercooler. There wasn't so much as a drip of oil inside it. My 6.5 is leak free, and runs great.
I know I haven't been around much lately, but thats just because the more time I spend here, the more money I want to spend on my truck! :D I really couldn't be happier with my trucks performance, and reliability. Thanks

Matt

Thanks for all the great comments guys, and I think its great that others are benefiting from this setup.
That's flippin awesome!

Just stopping in to read up and throw a hi won't cost too much, just do like I do and live vicariously through all the guys that have the cash to spend.
Thanks Will. Thats easier said than done, on the living vicariously through the other awesome builds happening here. :D I already went out and popped the hood on my truck a little while ago after reading here a little. :rolleyes: I do need to pop in, and say hi more often, as I sure appreciated all the help I received here dring the resurrection/upgrading of my 6.5. :)
That's great to hear Matt! I need to do this catch can. I miss seeing you around here but I do understand:greedy:
Thanks Nate, and its threads like your current ATW intercooler setup that start making me want to reach for my wallet. :D Good Stuff!

Matt

Work the engine at all and you will discover the plastic parts you have will melt down in that setup. The oil vapor is extremely hot and I have melted ABS plastic elbows on the CDR system. The clear hose is also rated at too low of a temp for the job.

I used sewage pvc fittings for the intake and melted them!!

I put this together a while back. Loaded up with some steel wool. Filtered. Not a direct picture of my CRD setup but you can see everything but the CDR. I just used a 90* rubber elbow from a stock setup, and some hoses, and two aluminum quick clamps I had laying around the shop that I welded together. It works. Keeps oil down.

Attachments

• 150825_001.jpg
    150825_001.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 43
Back