• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A Better Oil Catch Can. Maybe?

Work the engine at all and you will discover the plastic parts you have will melt down in that setup. The oil vapor is extremely hot and I have melted ABS plastic elbows on the CDR system. The clear hose is also rated at too low of a temp for the job.

Work the engine at all and you will discover the plastic parts you have will melt down in that setup. The oil vapor is extremely hot and I have melted ABS plastic elbows on the CDR system. The clear hose is also rated at too low of a temp for the job.

I already have 6' of Gates 3/4" oil hose, but I'm going to leave the clear on for a bit, as it makes it very easy to see if its working. I'll keep an eye on the plastic fittings, a it would be simple to upgrade to steel. If it turns out to work well, then I'll get it setup for the long haul. Thanks for the heads up WarWagon. :)

Matt

I thought I'd post an update on the performance of the oil catch so far. I've put a little over 600 miles on it since it was installed, and 200 miles of that was pulling the load in the picture below (a 97 Suburban on my car hauler). You can see in the pics below how the inlet of the filter is oily, and the outlet is not. It seems to be doing a great job of pulling the oil out of the air. I pulled the cup off of it, and while there wasn't any measurable amount of oil in the bottom, the filter was oily. So far it seems to be an effective setup, I will continue to update as I get more miles on it. Thanks

Matt

Attachments

• 20141218_114108 (1024x576).jpg
    20141218_114108 (1024x576).jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 20141222_160503 (1024x576).jpg
    20141222_160503 (1024x576).jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 20141222_160512 (1024x576).jpg
    20141222_160512 (1024x576).jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 20141222_160523 (1024x576).jpg
    20141222_160523 (1024x576).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 50
after reading some of the comments over at DP I thought this might be of interest. With the talk of adding a restriction another option would be to move the CDR into the intake location further from the turbo towards the filter as the vacuum is much lower the further you get away from the turbo.

after reading some of the comments over at DP I thought this might be of interest. With the talk of adding a restriction another option would be to move the CDR into the intake location further from the turbo towards the filter as the vacuum is much lower the further you get away from the turbo.
Actually, I thought about that, but I like the idea of having the extra suction helping to keep my crankcase pressures down. I hate oil leaks! :D So I'm trying to give the air lots of obsticles to help pull the oil out of it, but not restrict the flow. At least thats my thought on it. :)
As great as this setup is working, I ordered some stainless steel pot scrubbers the other day to put in the canister in place of my 3M scotchbrite pad. They just seem like they would be more durable over time. Here are the ones I ordered.
http://www.amazon.com/Fuller-Brush-Stainless-Steel-Sponges/dp/B0006B0S8M/?tag=viglink21765-20

Matt

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Actually, I thought about that, but I like the idea of having the extra suction helping to keep my crankcase pressures down. I hate oil leaks! :D So I'm trying to give the air lots of obsticles to help pull the oil out of it, but not restrict the flow. At least thats my thought on it. :)
As great as this setup is working, I ordered some stainless steel pot scrubbers the other day to put in the canister in place of my 3M scotchbrite pad. They just seem like they would be more durable over time. Here are the ones I ordered.
http://www.amazon.com/Fuller-Brush-Stainless-Steel-Sponges/dp/B0006B0S8M/?tag=viglink21765-20

Matt

Those scrubbers rock and they can be used in metal fuel cans and tanks too reduce/prevent explosion from accident or whatever just like the bronze wool scrubbers are used.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Those scrubbers rock and they can be used in metal fuel cans and tanks too reduce/prevent explosion from accident or whatever just like the bronze wool scrubbers are used.

I thought they were pretty neat as well, and I thought I'd try to pick some up locally, so I checked Walmart online to see if my local store stocked them. They were over $100 !!!!!! I have no idea why, but it was the same with the bronze ones as well. That doesn't make sense to me, but I decided to order the ones on Amazon that are 3 for 10.95. :D

Matt

How do they reduce or prevent explosions?

As we all know its the gasoline fumes that ignite diesel however is way behind and takes much more of an ignition source to ignite and the coarse wool generally acts like a spark/flash suppressor when stuffed into Jerry cans and needs a barrier like porous foam around any electronics if used in vehicle gas tank.

Petroleum resistant porous foam is best bronze/steel wool are common for spark/ign/flash arrestors used in a variety of products.

As we all know its the gasoline fumes that ignite diesel however is way behind and takes much more of an ignition source to ignite and the coarse wool generally acts like a spark/flash suppressor when stuffed into Jerry cans and needs a barrier like porous foam around any electronics if used in vehicle gas tank.

Petroleum resistant porous foam is best bronze/steel wool are common for spark/ign/flash arrestors used in a variety of products.

This is dangerous and could lead to injury and/or death if you do it your self unless qualified as with everything end user assumes all risks!

Yeah the foam is one thing, but any non closed cell mesh is going to increase surface area and when the tank is low enough to expose the mesh it will aerate the fumes at a much greater rate increasing the chance for detonation. With the flashpoint of motor oil, I would never worry about.

Yeah the foam is one thing, but any non closed cell mesh is going to increase surface area and when the tank is low enough to expose the mesh it will aerate the fumes at a much greater rate increasing the chance for detonation. With the flashpoint of motor oil, I would never worry about.

Yep, there have been recent tests done on many different fuels used for aviation a low tank can be a problem too in some events.

Back