• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1998 6.5 shuts off past 170° f

Loganshaw_6

Reaction score
Idk. My theory is when you know something isn’t right, fix it and watch the effects. Especially when something is acting goofy.
Well currently I have the truck at pure diesel getting worked on. I'm wondering if my snap-on scanner is showing me different results while timing the pump. They have a GM tech 2 and a few guys who are old school and have been working on these things for years hopefully they get somewhere on it.

Will L.

Reaction score
I remember snapon having issues with the 6.5 world. I remember giving back one to my snappy guy and getting an OTC genisus instead over it. There is some kind of work around but a bidirectional scanner should have one issue, cost. Mind you I have never been the go to ‘drive ability’ guy in any shop I worked in.

Let us know what they come up with

Loganshaw_6

Reaction score
well I just spoke with them and they said the pump is timed correctly but the computer thinks it is not timed correctly. The TDC offset value keeps jumping around and changing he claimed. With a labor rate of $110 an hour it's hard to tell him to keep going but I said throw another 3 hours at it at the most for right now.

Rockabillyrat

SlIgHtLy StUpId.
Reaction score
Hopefully they will finally give you an answer on what the problem is. I know your at wits end with that truck, but I LOVE when I get an "impossible" truck to fix at work. Diagnostic work is my favorite.... but of course I'm not paying for it so I would feel differently if I did.

Judging by what they told you the next step I would do would be to scope the cam/optical and crank sensor. Also id check the alternator for excessive AC ripple. AC voltage can wreak havok on sensor signals.

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score
ECM's do fail. At that cost it's not a bad idea to throw an ECM at it.

Loganshaw_6

Reaction score
Hopefully they will finally give you an answer on what the problem is. I know your at wits end with that truck, but I LOVE when I get an "impossible" truck to fix at work. Diagnostic work is my favorite.... but of course I'm not paying for it so I would feel differently if I did.

Judging by what they told you the next step I would do would be to scope the cam/optical and crank sensor. Also id check the alternator for excessive AC ripple. AC voltage can wreak havok on sensor signals.
Yeah this truck is becoming a pain.
Throw a db2 and stand alone trans controller at it and be done if emissions is ok there
Id love that but I'm invested already into this DS4