• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1992 6.5TD Rescue

Transmission jack and a helper for the door pins. Always buy 1-2 extra sets as you will screw up a bushing or two. They only go in once and come out in multiple pieces. Need to figure out how to remove the door sag. Latches are shot as well.

6.2 injectors, long body, do clear the turbo manifold on 6.5 heads. They don't clear the turbo manifold on 6.2 heads.

No change. The engine just doesn't have enough rings left to start on it's own. It's hard to start on Ether! Note all that does is add heat to get the diesel burning so if the lift pump is INOP during cranking etc it won't start. (Gotta hunt no LP during crank down.) No power when running. The fire literally goes out in a couple cylinders below 2500 RPM.

Yeah, those are some tired rings- what's left of them anyhow.

I would ID the low rpm dead cylinders and do the injector swap game just to verify you don't have sticky injectors before the day you decide to tear it down.

Already swapped out all 8 with known good long body 6.2 injectors and didn't help. Just hope I don't have severe scoring or cracked pistons.

May have a rocker off - but that much blowby engine needs to come out anyway.

Had a couple friends over to help and got it pulled out.

What are the buttons on the back of the heads? Overheat plugs on a rebuild?

Yes, I do cut the oil cooler lines off to save time anymore. Just not worth fishing the clips out from under the truck. They are hard enough to need replacement anyway. Flex plate starter gear was in poor shape so my spare will go on.

DSCN2895.JPG DSCN2896.JPG DSCN2897.JPG DSCN2898.JPG DSCN2899.JPG DSCN2894.JPG

599 block and the one tab is caught under the bracket possibly causing it to pop off at that angle.

This engine was hanging on by a razor's edge. Literally!!!

If you re-listen to the video what's missing? The Signature 6.5 clack is hardly there. Timing is extremely retarded even with all the dots and marks lined up.

"How the hell are you rotating the cam 1 sprocket tooth with the chain still on!?"

Sloppy pistons with some minor damage on the corners aside of carbon buildup. Yes, there are machine marks in the pistons looking like valve reliefs - lowering compression?

ADSCN2903.jpg ADSCN2905.jpg ADSCN2906.jpg ADSCN2907.jpg ADSCN2911.jpg ADSCN2913.jpg ADSCN2920.jpg ADSCN2922.jpg ADSCN2923.jpg ADSCN2925.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe a little warm?

ADSCN2915.jpg

Rings worn out. Cheap 3436 pistons in it.

ADSCN2929.jpg

Last edited:
Back