• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1998 6.5 shuts off past 170° f

On the injectors, get the bosch from Leroy. A few people bought them from him and had them tested and they are running beautiful tolerance numbers- within the highest desired 25 psi max variance. 200 psi variable is spec btw.

The fuel pressure gauge -tapped at the ip inlet- not the worthless schrader valve or drain valve location should be a permanent install. The 1/4” clear hose coming off the ip return needs to be a permanent thing also. Get the cheap stuff from any hardware store and replace it every few years as it hardens and yellows, or get some from fuelline.com for hopefully much longer lasting.

When it has the failure past 170f, have you tried pouring on cold water? Did it have any effect?

Im gonna go reread thread from beginning to refresh my mind on it all.

Man I feel horrible for you ds4 owners. I feel bad when I had to pass up good deals on some ds4 rigs I would have otherwise bought... but all my ds4 headaches is trying to help others since I made the commitment to never own one again. I don’t even own a working scanner anymore and can’t imagine I will need to again (i still have the Mac version of a otc genisys that needs a new battery and can’t even remember where i stored it so long ago).
There is 1 person at our dmv that I know is close to retirement which i got into HUGE argument with. He is the one here that knows the difference of ds4 db2 snd blocks the converted 6.5s from doing tail pipe smog testing. Once he is gone i might get a 99 6.5 suburban again- with a db2 on it. If you dont have that stringent a rule where you are at, which most places don’t have, for real - why own a ds4?

Man I feel horrible for you ds4 owners. I feel bad when I had to pass up good deals on some ds4 rigs I would have otherwise bought... but all my ds4 headaches is trying to help others since I made the commitment to never own one again. I don’t even own a working scanner anymore and can’t imagine I will need to again (i still have the Mac version of a otc genisys that needs a new battery and can’t even remember where i stored it so long ago).
There is 1 person at our dmv that I know is close to retirement which i got into HUGE argument with. He is the one here that knows the difference of ds4 db2 snd blocks the converted 6.5s from doing tail pipe smog testing. Once he is gone i might get a 99 6.5 suburban again- with a db2 on it. If you dont have that stringent a rule where you are at, which most places don’t have, for real - why own a ds4?

I have a truck with DS4 and I don't have any headache. LOL!!!
I got the feeling that OP bought the truck which had been having trouble to begin with.
Not all truck with DS4 is a problem truck.
There are probably some percentage of them that are having problem but not all.

A ran a fleet that had min of 150 and-at one point 375 6.5 trucks. Many of those trucks blew through 100,000 miles a year and truck got replaced in 3 years. Trust me, most have problems. I would say 1 in 450-500 ds4 can make it to the 250,000 mile mark without issue, and thats only when the pmd was relocated. Leaving pmd on the ip- I would be amazed if 1 in 1000 could make it to 200,000 miles with factory pmd.

The trucks we had that were db2- we didnt sell the last batch of. Db2 would get rebuilt around 250-300,000 miles and we would slap in rings, bearings, and new heads. Kept a db2 6.5 ready and did one day swap. Then rebuilt that engine and had it ready to go for the next one. Obviously we would have a bad block now and then, so we bought a crate long block when that happened. 750,000 miles from db2 because after that the housing is worn and not worth rebuilding a 3rd time usually. We did have one truck that the owners nephew drove- a 1991 extra cab 2500 that had 1.5 million on when I left. His db2 got stretched to 1 million the first time but it barely made the last 50,000 miles. 2nd long block and 2nd trans complete front end redo both differentials went in right before I left. I still got along with that guy- he broke 2 million. He died this year- a gift of cancer from the Marlboro man. It is illegal to bury a person in a vehicle in this state, so we won’t talk about where that truck is now.

A ran a fleet that had min of 150 and-at one point 375 6.5 trucks. Many of those trucks blew through 100,000 miles a year and truck got replaced in 3 years. Trust me, most have problems. I would say 1 in 450-500 ds4 can make it to the 250,000 mile mark without issue, and thats only when the pmd was relocated. Leaving pmd on the ip- I would be amazed if 1 in 1000 could make it to 200,000 miles with factory pmd.

The trucks we had that were db2- we didnt sell the last batch of. Db2 would get rebuilt around 250-300,000 miles and we would slap in rings, bearings, and new heads. Kept a db2 6.5 ready and did one day swap. Then rebuilt that engine and had it ready to go for the next one. Obviously we would have a bad block now and then, so we bought a crate long block when that happened. 750,000 miles from db2 because after that the housing is worn and not worth rebuilding a 3rd time usually. We did have one truck that the owners nephew drove- a 1991 extra cab 2500 that had 1.5 million on when I left. His db2 got stretched to 1 million the first time but it barely made the last 50,000 miles. 2nd long block and 2nd trans complete front end redo both differentials went in right before I left. I still got along with that guy- he broke 2 million. He died this year- a gift of cancer from the Marlboro man. It is illegal to bury a person in a vehicle in this state, so we won’t talk about where that truck is now.

This is what we call "Economy of Scale".
In your case, standardization is the key.
It is easier to have one type of engine and IP to maintained.

It is like Southwest airlines with all Boeing 737 vs American with a variety of airplanes from Boeing and Airbus with all models within those mfg.

For individual like me, I only have 1 and trying to replace the DS4 to DB2 does not make any sense since it is running.
The truck is just used as a 3rd vehicle and for hauling. So, yearly mileage of less than 5000 miles.

Different case than that of WillL.

So I finally have some good news for this forum. I took a break with the truck because quite frankly it just pissed me off. Bought a set of new Bosch injectors about a month ago and finally got around to installing them today along with new return lines. Somehow found two injectors that were slightly loose but after replacing everything the truck seems to run fine and I've been able to drive it so far with no problems. Thanks for all the help from everybody on this thing hopefully she lasts for a while.

Attachments

• 20210411_195031.jpg
    20210411_195031.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 2
Back