• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Swapped in the new Optical Sensor and was successful in fixing the diesel fuel leak that was coming out around the snap ring and out the connector.
Scored the old encoding sensor on both sides of the clamping plate before removing the T40 clamping screw.
View attachment 85310
Gauged the distance to the score from the edge of the encoding sensor with a micrometer / caliper and, as it appeared to the eye, the clamping plate was perfectly centered on the encoding sensor. Scribed lines on the new sensor with the micrometer and reinstalled the encoder.
Put the pump cover and everything back together along with PMD Ground and the return line. Jumped the lift pump for a few minutes to purge the air and it fired right up. Skipped a beat once or twice finalizing the air purge but the motor just continued to pure away. No diesel coming out the retainer ring or connector either so, THAT problem solved.

In order to monitor OS for a while I reinstalled upper intake set up I prefer with the Peninsular 'hat' and elbow from a Cummins. Since the lower intake wasn't tapped for Boost or Air Intake Temp. sensors, I pulled the old Spacer Ring I designed years ago out of its hiding spot and put it back on too. Just the way I want it.
View attachment 85309
View attachment 85308

Yeah, yeah, 'too many 90* bends'.... Whatever.
What’s the problem with the 90s?

When you exceed 250° in bends, it slows the flow rate of the air.

A recent thing I dealt with At work was a 150kw generator that runs on natural gas. When it was built, there was five 90° fittings after the pressure regulator. The generator could not run at 70%. They replumbed it at my advice and it solved the flow issue.

When the bends are long sweep instead of a tight one it’s better, but basically the more linear flow is better. Easier flow improves not just power, but fuel mileage, because it is an improvement of efficiency. So this means it will also improve engine life- how much… marginal at best. But improving air flow into the engine, through the engine, then out of the engine all has a lot of impact.

While messing around under the truck doing the new oil cooler w/ lines and trying to trace the diesel leak I noticed that one of the braided ground straps running up from the frame wasn't connected to anything. "Hmm, how long has that been there?
In this case, it was the engine to frame. No connector on the free end and there isn't one orphaned on the motor.

"While I'm In Here" cleaned the contact points on the frame and the chassis to body ground strap connector. Grabbed an OEM battery cable and cut it to length to replace the busted ground strap and coated everything in Noalox before tightening everything down and calling it good.
IMG_8596.JPG

That's one more thing off the 'to do' list.

Next....

With the planned and immersing urgent items on the to do list completed, decided to do a couple ‘nice to have’ things and spoil myself a little. Double DIN Pioneer DMH-W2770NEX head unit. Installation kit sold separately, and it went in easilY and it has a nice look.
I’ll add the back-up camera later.
IMG_8605.jpegIMG_8606.jpeg

Now, where’s that remote?

I was bored with no vehicles to work on, so I ordered a TIG welder to address future auto body repair work. Should be here before we drive back down to SoCal New Year’s weekend.
My whole box of 3/32 tig stuff has been missing for a few years. I think I tried buying it back on marketplace.
I messaged the guy and he immediately closed his account.
At the time, I thought, what a find. That looks exactly like all the stuff I'm missing.
When he ghosted me, I got to wondering if it wasn't all the stuff I'm missing.

I still need to replace everything.
I gave my water cooler and high freq units away. But I need to replace the missing tig torches

My whole box of 3/32 tig stuff has been missing for a few years. I think I tried buying it back on marketplace.
I messaged the guy and he immediately closed his account.
At the time, I thought, what a find. That looks exactly like all the stuff I'm missing.
When he ghosted me, I got to wondering if it wasn't all the stuff I'm missing.

I still need to replace everything.
I gave my water cooler and high freq units away. But I need to replace the missing tig torches
I despise thieves. The irony of finding the ^&*@!-tard though a classified add too. Then he knew it was you messaging him. Hindsight courses of options would make it very hard for my brain to shut off. Hang in there.

The K3500 just sets there absorbing electricity and producing warmth.
Tomorrow, before dark, it will run its course. Delivering those two park benches that I rebuilt.
Then, back to its sparking pot until the son gets his performance items installed on His Cummins.
Then back to the step sons C20 for a right side exhaust manifold and the plug wire heat shields.
The 88 Buicks brakes then the 90 Oldsmobile and then, my truck. Pull and reseal the engine.

Swapping out my set of Pirelli summer touring tires on Lexus alloy rims for the set of Kelly Winter Navigators mounted on the stock steel rims on my Camry. Been in the mid-50's for the past 3 weeks, supposed to drop to 30's with rain/snow mix Christmas Day. Working open-close double shifts Christmas Eve and Day at work. I've always done that everywhere I've worked, I figure two more fellow employees getting the days off to be with their families is a good thing.

I was bored with no vehicles to work on, so I ordered a TIG welder to address future auto body repair work. Should be here before we drive back down to SoCal New Year’s weekend.
I got the TOOLIOM:

IMG_1518.png

That's a nice looking welder. and a good price too! makes me want to get one. I am curious what the duty cycle is on that unit as far as how long can you weld with it before needing to stop and let it cool. also how thick of steel can it handle seeing it is listed as a 200a welder. Also wonder if it comes with the connections for the shielding gas.

That's a nice looking welder. and a good price too! makes me want to get one. I am curious what the duty cycle is on that unit as far as how long can you weld with it before needing to stop and let it cool. also how thick of steel can it handle seeing it is listed as a 200a welder. Also wonder if it comes with the connections for the shielding gas.
I chose the model with pulse welding and best price. I paid $179 and it will fit my needs for body panel repair and miscellaneous other things. The Hobart model was priced at $1449, which is way more than I would pay for what I need it for. My comparison was a tube or can of panel bond glue at $60 to $80. Use what I need and the rest gets wasted. Buy an inexpensive TIG welder to get the same job done, and I have a TIG welder for life.

Now I just need to figure out how to use it.
Years ago I took a welding class at the local Junior college. It was all oxyacetylene and arc welding back then. No TIG welding. I’m sure there are videos. I heard it’s all about penetration.

I chose the model with pulse welding and best price. I paid $179 and it will fit my needs for body panel repair and miscellaneous other things. The Hobart model was priced at $1449, which is way more than I would pay for what I need it for. My comparison was a tube or can of panel bond glue at $60 to $80. Use what I need and the rest gets wasted. Buy an inexpensive TIG welder to get the same job done, and I have a TIG welder for life.

Now I just need to figure out how to use it.
Years ago I took a welding class at the local Junior college. It was all oxyacetylene and arc welding back then. No TIG welding. I’m sure there are videos. I heard it’s all about penetration.
Oxy Acetylene welding is the best way to learn. You really learn to be watch your puddle.

Tig is very similar to Oxy Acetylene.

Wait for the gas to get to the torch before starting welding.
Or you'll mess up the tungsten before you start

A couple weeks ago I picked up a reman DS4 5521 pump from zagers diesel injection services in Ontario,Canada for my 96 gmc with the 6.2.Very knowledgeable guy who offers great communication.I’m quite happy with the purchase.Free shipping with no core return to worry about and no import fees to deal with.

I had a Delphi pump ordered from Amazon but it became unavailable as the seller could not locate one.

Here’s the pump I received from zagers just recently.It has no pmd but I have a few new pmd units I can use on my remote heat sink behind the front bumper.
That looks nice.
Here’s the pump I received from zagers just recently.It has no pmd but I have a few new pmd units I can use on my remote heat sink behind the front bumper.

Do they have a web address ?

Back